The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 04:21 AM   #1
stuckinCali

Have I gone Glock Overboard..?

After much debate I finally gave into the Glock craze.. and I #*%# love it! what a machine..

After putting a couple hundred flawless rounds through it, I thought to myself.. "how can I make this thing any better?" It's perfect?

So I went on YouTube and watched a million product reviews. Hickock45, Nutnsomethin, and many others. After getting excited about all the high quality affordable parts that can be added, or swapped out for cheap,(most illegal in CA) I promptly went onto the internet and went to work.

-Extended Mag.Release
-Extended Slide Release
-Stainless Guide Rod Assembly
-GripForce BeaverTail Adapter
-Ghost Grip Plug
-Hogue Grip Sleeve (not sure I like the added girth)
- ?

I'm still researching sights, a recoil buffer..
Did anyone else go aftermarket internet crazy with their Glock and regret it? Or do you like the mods you made and swear by them? Any to absolutely stay away from?

Old September 27, 2012, 06:45 AM   #2
geetarman

Quote:
-Extended Mag.Release
You might want to re-think that option.

I have taken a couple of classes from LEOs on defensive shooting and if you are shooting two thumbs forward as is popular today, it is pretty easy to inadvertently drop the magazine with the heel of your left hand if you are right handed.

When I was being instructed, I was amazed how easy it is for that to happen.

If you are talking about a range gun, then no problem.

Anyway, welcome to the dark side. I have four Glocks and only had the extended mag release on one and that has since been replaced.

Hope you are happy with your other options. I think you will really enjoy the guns. They are not pretty but they sure do work.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 27, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

Too much for a SD/HD weapon. The extended slide and mag release hurt more than help for me. I've got pretty big hands. The beaver tail thing I'm not too fond of. It already has a low bore axis and a high grip. Also, hammer less. The sleeve isn't an issue though I don't use them.

All I do to my Glocks are a trigger job and night sights are a must. Everything else is marketing.

+1 with the poster above me. Sorry forgot the name. On my phone.

It's much easier now to accidentally engage the slide release on the last round and extended mag release as well.

I'd remove them :/

If it's just a range pistol then don't worry you're good.

My $0.02

($0.01 after Obama's tax)

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old September 27, 2012, 07:04 AM   #4
Skadoosh

Concur with Constantine. Trijicon/Meprolights night sights...and thats it. Maybe a +2 mag extender, but that's pushing it.
Old September 27, 2012, 07:26 AM   #5
stuckinCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
All I do to my Glocks are a trigger job and night sights are a must. Everything else is marketing

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
I should've mentioned Im lefty actually (sorry.. small detail..) and added it after after hearing it was easier to do the middle-finger reach back drop with the extension.

Do you do the trigger job to lighten it or just have a smoother pull?

I really like the beaver tail because to me it feels to minimize that Glock hump/grip angle a bit.

I do plan on taking a class with it as well. but I do agree.. very hard to improve such a great design. Hopefully the extended mag release doesn't effect me much since mostly it will be a range/fun gun. My shiny .357 for HD
Old September 27, 2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Skadoosh

The "GripForce BeaverTail Adapter" is an interesting addition though.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:52 AM   #7
TheGunGuy

Add a good set of night sights if you desire, and shoot. Seriously though, the main reason there is such a huge aftermarket for Glocks is due to their popularity and the fact that people will buy these parts. I am not a competition shooter. I have however, known a few who shoot Glocks and do have the extended controls and aftermarket sights. That use aside, keep it stock. The Grip Force adapter... Get a 1911 if you want a beavertail. If your Glock is biting you - learn how to properly grip it. My stock guiderod, as well as many others I'm sure, has lasted thousands of rounds. If you're going to get a guidrod, get a stock replacement for a backup. A recoil buffer...? I didn't know there was one for a Glock... Why? A butt plug... I don't have a problem with them (for my Glock) I just don't use them. Hogue grip sleeve... I have two and I did use them because I WAS getting bitten by my Glock. Someone showed me what was wrong with my grip and I lost the Hogue sleeves. It is so easy to get drawn in to the aftermarket parts craze. But do yourself a huge favor - save that money, get a two year GSSF membership, wait for your purchase coupon, and get your Glock a new friend!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old September 27, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Skadoosh

Quote:
TheGunGuy wrote:
Get a 1911 if you want a beavertail. If your Glock is biting you - learn how to properly grip it.
Except that really isnt the point of the G/F adapter, which helps to change the grip angle of the Glock to more 1911-ish grip angle. Many shooters find the 1911 grip angle superior to the Glock's.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:05 AM   #9
TheGunGuy

I apologize if my post seemed a little harsh and I see your point. But, my point was, I see no value in trying to make a Glock, or any other pistol something it's not. IMHO, the Grip Force adapter is useless and adds no functionality to a Glock. I am fortunate enough to be well versed on many pistol platforms and I have learned to grip and fire a pistol as is without grip enhancers aside from maybe some Talon Grip or similar material. I really struggled with the Glock from a grip standpoint... I tried the Hogue sleeves multiple backstraps and I was finally shown the light, if you will, a simple grip adjustment cured all my slide bite problems. YMMV.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Edward429451

I concur with the others. The only thing I ever did to my G21 was to install Meprolite nite-sights on it and it ran fine.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
MLeake

TheGunGuy, the OP said nothing about slide bite, just changing the hump/grip angle.

You may be the first person I have seen posting about Glock slide bite.

BHP, PPK normally get the most complaints about that, from what I have read and heard. Never heard it about Glock, until now.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
TheGunGuy

The OP didn't elude to whether he was wanting to change the grip angle via the adapter or not... that was another participant in this thread. Anyways, after purchasing my first Glock, a 19, I was on the range and going to town on the paper. I thought the discomfort I felt in the webbing between my index finger and thumb was just getting used to the pistol. I looked down at my hand and I was actually bleeding and had a small chunk of my flesh on the back lower corner of the slide. It seemed a little fold or flap, for lack of a better term, of skin would creep up over the lip of the grip and get hit by the slide. A fellow next to me noticed me and thought I was experiencing malfunctions as I was constantly stopping and looking at my hand. He showed me a little grip adjustment and from then on I have been bite free.

I even went as far as to research it in the internet and came across a YouTube video of a fellow with the exact same problem. So it seems the problem does exist, albeit in extremely small numbers. I do not have freakishly large hands nor am I morbidly obese to where the entire grip disappears in rolls of fat.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:42 AM   #13
MLeake

The OP, in post 5:

Quote:
I really like the beaver tail because to me it feels to minimize that Glock hump/grip angle a bit.
I don't doubt you had the slide bite issue, I have just never heard of it with a Glock before.

My main problem with Glocks has been the trigger guard shape. Bruises my middle finger's knuckle.

Onlu other gun that has done that to me was a Ruger SBH with the squared back of the guard.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:50 AM   #14
TheGunGuy

Ok.... you're absolutely correct. I missed that - my bad.

As far as the trigger guard bruising your middle finger's knuckle... I never had that problem... I am actually sitting here with a 23 in hand trying to see if I can figure that one out.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:51 AM   #15
MLeake

I have very long fingers. My knuckle would end up in just the wrong place. It was annoying enouh that I have no more Glocks.

Guns that bruised that knuckle: G21, G30, SBH.

Guns that have not: 1911 (Sig, Colt, Fusion, DW, Baer); S&W revolvers (18, 13, 66, 29, 629, 442, 15); Ruger revolvers (GP100, SP101 - though the factory grips were too small, LCR - though the trigger would blister my trigger finger, Vaquero); Colt revolvers (King Cobra, 1917); Sig P autos (P220, M11, P229, P239); S&W autos (M&P 9 and 45, FS and C); CZ autos (75B, PCR, SP01, P01, P06); Walther autos (PPK, PPQ, PPS); Kahr autos (PM9, MK9); Beretta autos (Centurion, M9, PX4).

So, given that the vast majority of guns I have shot more than a few rounds through did not hurt that knuckle, I think it interesting that two G30s and a G21 did.

Guns that hurt are a distraction I do not need. The Glocks, the SBH, and the LCR were traded,away for that reason.

Edit: As I think about it, the problem sometimes arises with the Colt 1917, but that one stays due to historical significance - and it isn't a carry.

Last edited by MLeake; September 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Vermonter

My Glock Mods

Night Sites for the carry weapon A G27 Gen 4 with TRU GLO TFO's

A Streamlight TLR4 Light Lazer combo for the HD Glock.

That's it end of story. They are one of the best pistols ever made for a reason. Think of how much ammo you couldhave had for the money you spent on the toys.

Regards, Vermonter

PS I am a lefty also and I do mag drops with the middle finger on the left hand. I can do so with no modification to the mag release on both guns and don't have to twist the gun away from the target. I also have smaller hands.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:09 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Some of your issues may have been resolved by getting a Gen 4, though that brings its own questions.

Either way it's your money. It's none of my business what you do with it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 27, 2012, 01:16 PM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
-Extended Mag.Release

You might want to re-think that option.

I have taken a couple of classes from LEOs on defensive shooting and if you are shooting two thumbs forward as is popular today, it is pretty easy to inadvertently drop the magazine with the heel of your left hand if you are right handed.
I also agree with this sentiment-and I'm not sure whether being left-handed would change the dynamics. In truth, I'd much rather have a magazine a little too hard to engage as opposed to one being a little too easy to activate.
Old September 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #19
ShipWreck

Have you gone "Glock overboard?"

Only when you match my Beretta Overboard

Old September 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #20
FlySubCompact

The "plug".

One of those came with my used G27. It kept popping out during shooting sessions. The last time it did, I just left it laying in the pasture. It is still there.

Maybe invest in some night sights, then take the rest of the gizmo money and buy more ammo. Or better yet, reloading equipment.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:06 AM   #21
stuckinCali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
Have you gone "Glock overboard?"

Only when you match my Beretta Overboard

Wow.. That is a collection. Beautiful pic.

I actually bought the beaver-tail adapter to try to mimic the perfect feel of a 92fs. I think it's the perfect grip and angle for my hand. Even more than a 1911.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:15 AM   #22
berettaprofessor

Anything over one temporary Glock constitutes overboard.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:36 AM   #23
geetarman

Quote:
Anything over one temporary Glock constitutes overboard.
You are entitled to your opinion. Thousands of shooters think otherwise.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 28, 2012, 11:57 AM   #24
chris in va

Being used to the ergonomics and grip angle of the CZ, I had issues shooting my 21sf accurately in our matches. A fellow competitor had similar results and got a Lone Wolf frame with a more natural angle. Seems to work for him.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:03 PM   #25
TheNocturnus

My Glock is stock, except for the bullets.
Brain (Use this one the most)

Tags
accessories , extended , glock , grip , slide