The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 23, 2002, 11:03 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Acraglass or solder for barrel lining

I've been thinking about relining an old 25-20 lever action.
Brownells sells the liners and drills that I need and they mention that the liners can be attached with either acraglass or soft solder, I kind of like the idea of acraglass but I'm a little nervous about it's strength and durability. I plan on doing a rust blue on the barrel when it's done, would the heat from the boiling water likely cause any loosening of the acraglass?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 24, 2002, 05:19 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Acra-Glass starts to break down just above 300 degrees, and it takes longer than the barrel would be in the tank, even if the solution was that hot.

Another option is Loc-tite Green anarobic. This is somewhat easier to work with than Acra-Glass.

Soft solder is a mess to work with in barrel liner applications.
I'd go with the Acra-Glass.
Old July 25, 2002, 12:46 PM   #3
TGS

Ive slow rust blued quite a bit and because your temps are relatively low, heat shouldnt be a problem for the glass.
Old July 27, 2002, 04:28 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Thanks for the information, I think I'll try the Acra-Glass, though I'll probably put a test piece in a tank of boiling water to see what happens first. Should be interesting to see what happens.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 28, 2002, 11:02 PM   #5
Unkel Gilbey

I don't have any experience here in this arena, but I've a question that might help solve your dilemma.

Why not blue the barrel first? Then drill it out and install the liner with no fear of having the 'glas break down from the heat?

I would imagine that clamping the barrel while you are drilling would be a concern as far as marring the new bluing, but if you were careful in padding your vice, this shouldn't really be a concern, eh?

Then there's the little big of liner that might be visible from the muzzle. You could use some cold blue on that, and perhaps hide the liner to barrel joint with a recessed crown?

I don't really know, I'm just throwing ideas out there. But who knows, the answer might just be out there.

Good Luck!

Unkel Gilbey