The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2014, 05:35 PM   #1
ZVP

Sngle arm pump rod?

I own an older Westernfield 12 Ga Pump, essentially a Model 500 but it onl has one pump rod and the forearm does twist a bit. How long can I expect this single arm to last?
From the age of the gun, it seems that they last a LONG time!
I think that for use as a HD gun, it should be OK.
I got the gun for only $100 and did the barrel cut and added a slip on recoil pad for a total of maybe $140 in the gun.
It cycles 3 shells with ease but not 6. Probablly the old hunting configuration got parts worn in a certain pattern?
It's just as easy to load 3, jack one in, and load 1 more giving you 4 total. Reloads one at a time arent hard to do. The gun feeds doubles if I try and load 6. So I just load 3 and jack one in leaving at least 2.
What size woodem dowel fills in for the additional 3 shells for hunting?
Thanks ZVP
Old June 12, 2014, 12:19 AM   #2
bamaranger

cut one

Take 3 shells, cut a dowel rod that length, you now have a 3 shot plug.

Me, I would not use a "sawed off" anything as a HD gun, for fear it would bite me in the upcoming lawsuit.
Old June 12, 2014, 01:24 AM   #3
Slopemeno

It sounds like you may have a pre-existing plug in there already.

Check that gun is empty. Open the action. Loosen the barrel nut and remove the barrel. Point the gun down and see if a wooden dowel falls out when you shake the gun- you might hear it move around in there..

Older Mossberg 500's had single pump arms. The bolt, carrier and receiver aren't interchangeable with modern 500's. Parts are probably still available from Halvin Sales, or Gun Parts Corporation.
Old June 12, 2014, 11:36 AM   #4
dgludwig

Quote:
I own an older Westernfield 12 Ga Pump, essentially a Model 500 but it onl has one pump rod and the forearm does twist a bit. How long can I expect this single arm to last?
A lot of great pump guns have lasted a long time with a single action bar, including the Winchester Models 97 and 12 and the Ithaca Model 37.
Old June 12, 2014, 03:24 PM   #5
ZVP

Thanks guys for setting my mind at ease! I just worried about that single arm but I see it is for nothing!
I checked for a wooden dowel already. No rod. I think the spring has taken a "set" and3 shells go down just right, more misform the already twisted spring.
I can live with loads of 3 shells long as it works well.
Good point about a sawed off anything and a suit! However the gun is built for indoor use where the 30" BBL would hang-up on furniture and walls. The 19 1/2 BBL manuvers great!
I just added a slip on recoil pad and nothing else. No extras or slings to get hung up. The origonal gun had no recoil pad. It HURT shooting Buckshot!
I really like the thumb safety and thetriggerguard pump handle release. fits me perfectlly.
ZVP
Old June 13, 2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

A home defense gun has to be reliable. At least get a new magazine spring.
Old June 13, 2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Doyle

The problem with a single rod twisting is from applying "extra" force to cycle shells that are sticking in the chamber. This could either be from a dirty chamber or from using shells that tend to swell when fired (some brands are worse than others). Keep the chamber spotless and use shells that don't tend to swell and you'll lower your chances of twisting that rod.