The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 9, 2014, 09:41 AM   #51
USMC 77-81

I know of an auto parts store in Orofino and a gas station in St Maries that sells guns though I haven't purchased from them.
Old January 9, 2014, 10:29 AM   #52
2ndsojourn

The most local gun shop to me is also a tool & equipment rental place. One brother runs the equipment rental and the other runs the gun counter. He doesn't have much inventory and he's hardly there when I go in so it seems he may only do it to enhance his hobby. I've only ever bought ammo from him.
Old January 9, 2014, 11:21 AM   #53
wogpotter

Chain-owned drugstore in Fla.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 9, 2014, 01:13 PM   #54
aarondhgraham

Back in the mid 60's at my high school,,,

Back in the mid 60's at my high school in Moore, Oklahoma,,,
The marching band used to sponsor monthly flea market tables in the parking lot.

Anyone could rent a table and sell whatever they wanted to.

One man had several rifles/shotguns on his table,,,
The vice-principal wanted to try one shotgun,,,
So he took it down to the football field,,,
Where the ROTC rifle team practiced.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 9, 2014, 01:17 PM   #55
Kev

It's reversed, but I SOLD a Colt New Army in 45LC to my biology teacher in the 11th grade.
He moonlighted as a US Customs agent and often had his SW M29 in his duffel bag.
Think he passed me just for gun talk, lol
Old January 9, 2014, 03:16 PM   #56
twobit

Sears and Montgomery Wards mail order. I remember as a kid of about 10, going to the catalog pick-up desk with my mother to get a rifle Papa ordered. No paperwork at all. Papa even bought a 12 foot aluminum fishing boat with outboard motor from Sears catalog in the 1960's. You could buy anything using the Sears catalog.

I have my Great,great grandfathers' model 1892 Winchester 44-40 rifle. It was bought by him in 1895 from the Sears catalog and he picked it up at the post office/general store in Del Rio TX.
Old January 9, 2014, 03:45 PM   #57
gc70

A slightly different twist, but my nearest LGS sells fresh eggs, collected twice a day from the chicken coop behind the store.
Old January 9, 2014, 04:50 PM   #58
dajowi

Years ago I purchased a Raven .25 and ammo at a gas station.
Old January 9, 2014, 06:57 PM   #59
LeverGunFan

In 1972 I bought a Remington 700 at a local hardware store where we usually bought our feed and supplies. My mom, who was OK with my buying it, went along with me. I still have that 700 along with the receipt from the store. As far as I know the store is still in business with different owners, but I don't think they sell guns anymore.
Old January 9, 2014, 07:52 PM   #60
tomrkba

"Depends on where you live. The only local, brick and mortar gun outlet near me is a True Value Hardware store. Fifteen years ago the local grocery store/trading post did transfers."

burrhead,

I bought several guns at that same place when I was out there in Alpine!
Old January 9, 2014, 07:59 PM   #61
.45 Vet

In 75 I bought my current deer rifle at the local K-Mart sporting goods auction.

The following year I ordered via the J.C. Penny catalog a Charter Arms AR-7. (mail order)

And in 96 I won a rifle at a Friends of NRA dinner, and picked it up at a True Value hardware store in Mercer, Penn. they were one of the dinner sponsors.
Old January 10, 2014, 10:25 AM   #62
STEINER

Around 1963, I got my first 22lr tube fed rifle from SEARS. It had Ted Williams signature on it. My son has it today.
My Dad bought me a break open single shot 12 gauge from SEARS in 1964.
I was 14 and had to attend a Saturday rifle/shotgun safety class at the SEARS store.
My father was not a gun owner or hunter but he supported my interests.
I remember the first time he took me out to shoot the shotgun.
There was a bush with a dozen small birds in it and I fired a shot into the
bush. Killed most of the little birds.
My father was almost in tears and we had a long talk about the purpose and intent of owning a gun.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:09 PM   #63
Kev

Ya Stiener those Ted Williams were made by a few manufacturers, I think (not positive) Savage and Marlin made a bunch of them.

As a little kid my great Aunt had reproductions of old sears catalogs, and I loved laying on the carpet just pouring over all the guns..

edit
Heres a post of a Winchester branded Ted Williams
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519910

Last edited by Kev; January 10, 2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:06 PM   #64
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I bought my first rifle at a Western Auto. My first 10/22 came from Walgreens and I've bought a couple of shotguns from Kmart. Most hardware stores sold guns around here. I remember walking into a department store( the name escapes me) and seeing dozens of Argentine 7 and 8MM rifles in a barrel for $19.95 each. I thought it was a great buy until I asked about the ammo. A box of twenty rounds ran the same price as a rifle.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:34 PM   #65
Kev

One of my favorite old haunts was the Army Surplus store in Hawthorne, Ca.
Gas masks, trench coats, canteens and web belts, helmets and of course, guns everywhere...I remember the counter 4 rifles deep in imported 22 rifles.
Old January 11, 2014, 03:43 PM   #66
vkeith

My first gun came from Western Auto. My second one came from United General Products which was a discount department store similar to what Walmart became, and the third one came from JC Penny back when they were more like Sears.

But, I almost bought a black powder revolver kit from...wait for it...an amusement park. Back in the 70s, the local amusement park was called Silver Dollar City and it featured an old west theme. The gun store in the "town" sold black powder kits and complete guns.The park security officers even carried SAA style pistols to complement their western garb. The amusement park is still around and today it's known as Dollywood (still owned by the same company but with Dolly's endorsement added).
Old January 12, 2014, 07:51 PM   #67
RoosterBooster3632

First gun at Gambles

Got my first gun my parents bought me from a Gambles store 10 miles away fomr here. Our local hardware store is also a bait shop / sporting goods store and they still sell guns and ammo. I usually get better deals on guns there than at any of the Ganders or Cabelas. They also have ammo more readily available. Can't rembmer the last time I saw 22LR anywhere besides our local hardware store. Was in there last week and they must of had 20-30 thousand rounds of 22LR on the shelf and it wasn't priced crazy either. It wasn't at the prices of 18 months ago but I don't think it will ever get to those levels again, or at least not for a while.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:31 PM   #68
Kev

20-30,000 rounds of 22lr??
Man I would keep that little gem to myself!
Ummmm

Do they sell online? Lol
Old January 12, 2014, 08:46 PM   #69
Dr. Strangelove

I went to high school in rural GA, a local preacher sold guns out his kitchen back when you could still operate an FFL business out of your home.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:18 PM   #70
Kev

My FFL here in SWFL works out of his house..
Old January 13, 2014, 02:12 PM   #71
shortwave

Years ago I bought my 1st milsurp Garand and an 03A3 at a small five-n-dime store called Woolworth. I think the price on one was around $80 and the other about $100.

Have also made a couple ftf purchases at police headquarters and one at a LE range.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:45 PM   #72
M3 Pilot

Back in the 60s I worked for a small (5 or 6 stores) drugstore chain. They sold guns in one of the stores in High Point NC. I never bought one there, should've because I would have got my employee discount.

Mike Irwin reports having bought from an undertaker. A good friend of mine owns a funeral home & has his FFL. I've bought guns from him.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:42 PM   #73
Kev

Keep em coming...really glad you are all sharing these great stories
Old January 14, 2014, 12:28 AM   #74
Ignition Override

At McDonald's in a small town (just behind it): bought my first SKS there in March '08.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:34 PM   #75
8MM Mauser

One of my local ace hardware stores has an "armory" section in the back with a great selection of new and used guns. It's right in the middle of town too. I saw a USP .40 there once for like $400 and almost baught it... But didn't.

This was only 2-3 years ago and this store is still open and still only a minute from downtown GR and the "medical mile."