The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 07:09 AM   #1
lamarw

A New Curiosity

Last night I ordered a surplus Polish Flare Gun, Soviet Era, in 26.5 mm, blued steel in VG to Excelent condition for $59.95 plus shipping of $16.95 from Apex Gun Parts ( https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/2990 ). They also have one in a good condtion for ten bucks less and a new one in current use by the Polish for ten dollars more.

I then oredered a .22 LR drop in barrel for $21.99 and a .45 Colt/.410 shotgun drop in barrel for $59.95 made by Kennesaw Cannon for the flare gun. These were purchased from Mississippi Arms, Inc. ( Http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/4...rt-p-2719.html ). The shipping cost was $9.95.

I will now look for some flares. I think it might make for a good boat gun for those of us who live on the water. I plan to keep it in my boat house with my boat keys. Then I can grab it up with my keys as I go either in my jon boat, bass boat or my pontoon boat.

Thought I would pass it on if anyone who could use such a set-up. It is BATFE approved and no FFL requirements for the above purchases.

It is also advertised as a survival tool by Kennesaw Cannon. You can look at the drop-ins and a video at http://kennesawcannon.com/products.php . I just saw their advertisement in Guns & Ammo.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

I would question the legality, as in it's original form, it's not a "fire arm" with the barrels it is... assume the .410 barrel is rifled, or it would be an AOW

maybe it works, legally, like cartridge conversion cylinders for black powder revolvers ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 8, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:05 AM   #3
lamarw

Link to BATFE Letter on this device: http://kennesawcannon.com/images1/batf.pdf
Old May 8, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I saw that, read it, & edited my 1st post...

I'd be curious if the trigger pull is conductive to shooting, or is so awful, that hitting anything with a 22 would be near impossible... I'd suspect it would be awful, since no accuracy is needed with a flare... could be possibly dressed up some ???

I also found a Czech flare gun ( I collect Czech stuff, so that interests me )... I also have some Contender stuff, wonder if my machinist buddy could thread the 45 / .410 insert to take the straight rifled Contender .410 insert, to help eliminate the doughnut pattern you get from firing .410 in a normal rifled barrel ???
Old May 8, 2013, 08:37 AM   #5
lamarw

You have some valid points, and I think I can justify it as just an emergeny set-up. They do have a video on the site showing it being fired several times.

i was just looking at the price of flares, and they are expensive. Midway has an adapter so the flare gun can be adapted to 12 gauge flares. Walmart supposedly has 12 gauge flares at a somewhat reasonable price.

Maybe someone know where flares are more reasonable; although we may incur hazmat shipping.

I don't do any camping, but it might be handy for campers along with boaters.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I found several places that had flares on line, they even have several colors & black smoke flares... BTW... all are hazmat, so Walmart might be a good option, unless you are buying a bunch, or can combine with primers or powders ???
Old May 8, 2013, 02:24 PM   #7
lamarw

Thanks, Kind of what I am seeing. I think the best alternative is to acquire the adapter so the flare gun will fire 12 gauge flares. It is less than twenty bucks.

I sent Kennesaw an email about the .410 round length. They replied it would handle the 3" round.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:21 PM   #8
lamarw

Here is a picture of one model of the old Polish Flare Gun and the various subcaliber inserts ranging from .22 LR, .45 Colt, and 12 gauge Flare. The .22 subcaliber device fit perfectly in the 26.5 chamber. The other devices required some time with a dremel.

I have not fired the .410/.45 Colt or the 12 gauge flare as of yet. The .22 fired well.

The flare gun itself is very heavy duty but relatively light in weight. Mine was dated 1950. If nothing else it should be a collectible.

I can only assume the subcaliber devices would not need alterations on the other versions of the 26.5 Flare Gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flare Gun Components.jpg (253.8 KB, 35 views)
Old May 14, 2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

how is the trigger ???
Old May 14, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
lamarw

Surprisingly good for a flare gun. It is a long pull with some roughness in the first half of the pull then is is slick to the firing point. The other flare guns maybe better like this one:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product...oducts_id/3483

I also understand you can get a .38 subcaliber device from here:

http://www.gaugemate.com/info/flaregun

The biggest negative is the absence of any type of aiming device since you do not have any sights. You just point and shoot.

Hey guys, this is just a toy in a manner of speaking which will actually shoot. Please follow all safety procedures since in reality it is a gun and not a toy.

Last edited by lamarw; May 14, 2013 at 05:23 PM.