The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1
EdInk

Stoeger Coach Gun

I am thinking about buying a Stoeger Coach Gun depending on my tax situation and some other expenses. Anyone have one? Like it? Problems? Who has the best price? Anything similar?
Old January 31, 2010, 01:21 AM   #2
EdInk

Anyone?
Old January 31, 2010, 01:59 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

Stoeger is the importer. Forget who actually makes 'em. Brazilian, I think.
MSRP is $399 for a blued single trigger. Impact Guns wants $329 for the blue. MSRP for SS.
Rossi made one with external hammers. CZ still does. Made in Turkey though.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
apr1775

Remington has imported a Russian made one under the "Spartan" line. Not the best looking but very robust.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Uncle Billy

I have a Rossi version, with exterior hammers and two triggers. My ex-wife bought it for me as a joke, but I had a lot of fun with it at the gun club. We (my dad and I) shot trap, others shot skeet, and there was a lot of good-natured needling back and forth. I did pretty well at trap, winning the top gun prize in the winter league a couple of times. The skeet guys dared me to shoot a round of skeet, so I took them up on it, with the Rossi because its modified chokes and short barrels were more suited to skeet than my Model 12 long-barreled full choke Winchester. The Rossi looked ridiculous in the rack next to the Krieghoffs and Citoris and other thousand dollar guns, but I shot 24/25 with it anyway. It's heavy but it's simple enough to be reliable; the open hammers and two triggers make second shots a bit of a drama, but for about $150 new (years ago), I was happy with it. It's next to my bed and loaded (no kids here) for HD, along with the M-1 carbine and 2 30 round clips behind the bedroom door and the Ruger .44 Mag revolver hanging on the back of the closet door.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:41 AM   #6
EdInk

Thanks for the help. Any actual owners out there like to chime in?
Old January 31, 2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Hog Buster

Yeah, I've got one. Imported by Stoeger, made in Brazil by E.R. Amantino. I bought it for varmint and vermin control around the house. Works very good on coyotes, foxes, road dogs, hawks and other varmints trying to dine on my chickens. Haven't tried it on two legged vermin, but it should work fine.

Fairly good fit and finish and fast pointing. The break open action is a bit stiff when new, but improves with use. Mine is modified and improved cylinder and out to about 30 yards holds good patterns. I usually keep a high brass number 4 in the IC barrel and 00 Buckshot in the modified one. It’s chambered for 3 inch shells, but I haven’t found a need to use them yet, 2 3/4 inch work just fine.

I think I paid about $300.00 for mine.
Old January 31, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
James R. Burke

My wife has one in a .410 just love it for the price. Had it mod and imp. Lots of .410's are full, and folks dont hit that much, because you need to be dead on. I had my doubts till we tryed it out. We informally shot some clays with it. Worked great breaking everything I got on with it. I was alitttle worried about the imp with so few pellets, but it worked out for a great bird gun. I think for the cost it is a very nice shotgun. The tang safety on this one comes off very easy other than that it been great. Had it for awhile now. The bird hunting hear is really close when they come up, or I would have went with a mod and full or two mod's. I am not sure but they might have the interchangable ones out now.
Old January 31, 2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Rampant_Colt

I bought a nickle-plated coach gun made by Stoeger about ten years ago and didn't like the annoying automatic safety AND the fact that it cannot be disabled. Therefore i decided on a Russian Baikal "Bounty Hunter 2" SxS where the auto-safety is easily removed..

The overall quality of the Russian shotguns may not be as nice as the Stoeger's, but not having the ability to disable the safety is a deal-closer for me.

I keep mine loaded with Aguila Mini-Slugs [385gr @ 1250FPS]

IIRC, Remington is now importing these
Old January 31, 2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Crosshair

That is the biggest problem with the Stoeger is the stupid automatic safety. I do need to ask my gunsmith if it can be disabled, but the previous post said that it could not be.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:38 PM   #11
EdInk

Tell me more about this safety.

None of my guns have safeties and I don't like the idea of having to disengage one to shoot. Can it just not be left in the off position?
Old January 31, 2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Crosshair

Quote:
Can it just not be left in the off position?
That's the big problem, it automatically engages when you open the action. The Stoeger guns are great, but I wanna slap the designer who thought that was a good idea.

It's the one "feature" that keeps me from buying one. Much like how the Hillary hole keeps me from buying new S&W revolvers. Except this is worse than the HH.
Old February 1, 2010, 12:44 AM   #13
Jeremiah/Az

I have the Stoeger coach gun & just for fun, I shot sporting clays with it. It broke birds ok, but you do want to shoot light load in it. It kicks like a mule! The triggers are a bit heavy for target shooting, but that is not what it is made for.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:00 AM   #14
apr1775

Quote:
That's the big problem, it automatically engages when you open the action. The Stoeger guns are great, but I wanna slap the designer who thought that was a good idea.
It's really an American vs European thing. If your into American style doubles, you must remember to take the safety off before firing a European gun. If your into English/European doubles, you must remember to put the safety on after loading.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:05 AM   #15
oneounceload

Quote:
The VAST majority of field guns are built like that for safety purposes. A competent gunsmith should be able to disable it if you want. Whether he'll make you sign a waiver absolving him of responsibility for a mishap is his decision.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:05 AM   #16
flight954

I just got the 410 model and it's a great little home defense shotgun that the ladies in my household can easily manage.
Old February 1, 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
pinetree

What's the big deal with the safeties? I have a Baikel (now Sparten) OU 20g that I take quail and dove shooting. Clicking off has never bothered me and becomes automatic in short time.
Old February 1, 2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Rampant_Colt

gov't firearm import restrictions 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshair
That's the big problem, it automatically engages when you open the action. The Stoeger guns are great, but I wanna slap the designer who thought that was a good idea. <-----

It's the one "feature" that keeps me from buying one. Much like how the Hillary hole keeps me from buying new S&W revolvers. Except this is worse than the HH.
My thoughts exactly - Stoeger's not the one to blame, though

Whether you're out hunting or when "it hits the fan", when the time comes to pull the trigger and nothing happens... well... use your imagination..

Stoegers are very nice shotguns with a better overall fit n finish than their Russkie counterparts.

HOWEVER

I you can get used to, or just don't mind gov't interference in firearm design, the Stoeger is the one to get

The auto-safety is, was, and always will be a deal-breaker for me. You can blame stupid import laws for THAT one :barf:
Old February 1, 2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Hog Buster

I've made more than a few quick shots and reloads with mine and have no problem with the auto-on safety. Pushing it off comes as natural as shouldering and pointing the gun. I guess that it's just whatever jerks your rope.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:48 PM   #20
apr1775

No, the auto safety is not the fault of import laws. English/European hammerless doubles have had them for at least a hundred years. It becomes habit to push off the safety as the gun comes up to target. It's like people who carry a 1911; the thumb pushes the safety off as it comes up to target without even thinking about it.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:09 PM   #21
EdInk

Has anyone removed the safety on their stoeger? Does anyone
make a SxS without a safety?
Old February 3, 2010, 07:19 PM   #22
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr1775
Remington has imported a Russian made one under the "Spartan" line. Not the best looking but very robust.
Unfortunately, 2008 was the last year the Baikal® guns were offered by Remington®.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:05 PM   #23
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInk
Has anyone removed the safety on their stoeger? Does anyone
make a SxS without a safety?
I tried like heck to get the one off of mine, but it appears to be an integral part of the mechanism..

Perhaps some smithy with a better working knowlege of Stoeger's SxS lockwork can chime in on whether or not the auto-safety may be removed on them without permanent damage.

<side note>
when i removed the auto-safety in my Baikal, the trigger pull was dramatically improved
Old February 3, 2010, 08:19 PM   #24
bbqbob51

I have a Stoeger 20 ga. Coach Gun that has worked flawlessly for me. It is a nice short gun that you can swing around and point quickly.
Old February 12, 2010, 08:38 PM   #25
BoyScout

If you go to shotgunworld.com and search through the Stoeger sub-category for the topic "damn auto safety" you will find instructions.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=98&t=194298