The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2006, 04:13 PM   #1
dta316

Did I do something wrong?

New to shotguns and this forum so please be gentle.
I recently bought a Maverick Field 88 w/28in barrel in 12 ga.I had only put 6 rounds of 2 3/ Winchester Superx #8. No problems. But then I put an 18.5 in. barrel on the gun and put some rounds through it but this time I had about 10 misfires out of approx. 50 rounds. I also tried a different brand of shotshell Federal Target and Field loads. Should I start using 3inch shells with the short barrel? I believe I am racking the action hard enough. I can run 5 non stop rounds through it then reload and click,nothing. I made sure the barrel was seated firmly. Any help would be great. Thanks..
Old January 5, 2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Get different ammo and try it, but magnums aren't needed. Light loads will work.
Old January 5, 2006, 05:41 PM   #3
rugerdude

Make sure you ram the slide all the way forward, there is a point where the action is almost closed and the slide gets slightly harder to push forward, but it isn't actually closed.

Taking it apart, cleaning, and re-assembly wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old January 5, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
ShelbyV8

Compare the 18.5 barrel and the standard barrel from the connection point at the end of the mag extension and the chamber. If the 18.5 is shorter you may need to see if you can screw the mag tube farther into the receiver. it sounds like the chamber is not setting all the way agianst the bolt face.
Old January 6, 2006, 04:49 PM   #5
rwking

safety problem

i had the same problem with mine, i had to send it back once and they replaced the gun the second time. it is the trigger mechanism, something to do with the safety, i heard of one guy pushing the safety on and off real hard and it worked fine. the second gun they sent works just fine, maybe you have a pos like my first one and need to have them replace the gun.
Old January 6, 2006, 08:53 PM   #6
dta316

Thanks for the replies. I have sent it in for repairs. Will wait and see what becomes of it. Will post results when I get the gun back. Thank you again for all the help.

btw rwking. I found your post about the problem you had and that is where I drew my conclusion on my problem.
Old February 3, 2006, 12:12 AM   #7
dta316

Just an update..

I got my shotgun back after sending it off for repair. Took 3 weeks but all seems well at this time. Took it out and ran a box of shells through her and no misfires. The shells load into the tube alot easier then before. Not sure what they did to her. No note was sent. But Wal-Mart handled this very well for me. No complaints thus far.