The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 12, 2016, 03:50 PM   #26
Sevens

Andy Blozinsky, I hear what you are saying re: my specific example from a couple years ago but my larger point remains unchallenged...

It's an extremely complicated design -and- perhaps more importantly, Chiappa products across the board are not at all "confidence inspiring" in fit, finish and execution. Unlike many other gunmakers, this brand has simply NOT earned a recognized reputation for high quality.

The idea has a ton of merit and I long for the day when a proven quality gun manufacturer does their version of a bottom-chamber revolver. Your stance that "they have improved" doesn't solve that.

It's natural for me to offer the example of Taurus: I have owned and enjoyed a few Taurus handguns and in some cases, where the price is enticing and your life isn't on the line, you can end up with a decent handgun. But you must find that out on your own, on an individual gun by gun basis. Far more than you will with more respected brands. Your chance of buying JUNK is far, far higher with a Taurus than a S&W or Ruger.

It sounds like you have vetted your Chiappa and that is a great thing, but that doesn't make this a high quality product any more than a good example of a Taurus does.
Old December 14, 2016, 12:11 PM   #27
Skans

Quote:
And yes i had about 10,000 upper mid range loads through it.
That's a heck of a lot of rounds to put through a gun like this! While it should never have done what it did, it really wasn't designed to be a range gun. It's a poor design for the choice of materials used. The frame should be made out of forged steel and/or stainless steel. Just not enough material for the type of material used to hold up to that kind of abuse.
Old January 9, 2017, 12:19 AM   #28
johnson184

How is the finish on them? I can't find out anywhere what the finish actually is. I'm definitely going with a 60DS, but I can't decide between the white, black, or gold.