The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2002, 09:42 PM   #1
another okie

Bianchi black widow - what's wrong?

Is it me or the holster?

I bought a Bianchi black widow for a 1911, in this case a full-size Springfield. It's a great looking holster, and very comfortable, but about half the time when I holster the safety strap takes the thumb safety off, leaving me with a cocked and unlocked firearm.

Is this just peculiar to something about the Springfield, or ... what? Is there some trick to it I don't know about, or some easy modification, or am I just stuck with a dangerous holster?
Old December 5, 2002, 10:44 PM   #2
youngun

That's why they call it the "safety" strap.

Sounds wierd to me. Don't have a strap on my holsters, but is there a way you could just hold it out of the way as you holster?
Old December 6, 2002, 12:30 AM   #3
Archer1440

I know of precisely what you are having a problem with here.

The Bianchi Pistol Pockets have precisely the same problem. I ended up doing major surgery on that item to correct it.

It is an issue with the design of the strap, combined with the extended safety lever. These specific holsters appear to have been designed for firearms with GI style thumb safeties.

No thumb snap straps for THIS little black bird- no need for them with a properly designed CCW holster.
Old December 6, 2002, 12:48 AM   #4
Walosi

I haven't seen a Bianchi catalog in years, and haven't spent time on their site, but their disclaimer, at one time, advised that their rigs were NOT designed for use with add-ons such as extended safeties, trigger shoes, etc. Now that the safeties are common on factory guns, you would think they could adjust to them. Still, I agree that a well molded holster should neither have nor need a safety strap.
Old December 6, 2002, 05:46 PM   #5
another okie

There are really two problems, I guess, or three. First, the shape of the body side of the holster does not accomodate the larger safety very well, but you can keep your finger on the safety as you guide it into the holster easily enough. Second, it's quite hard to fasten the safety strap without pushing the thumb safety to the down position. Third, once the safety strap is fastened any kind of pressure from the front will push the safety off again.

I guess I need another holster. I suppose I could just cut the strap off, but I'm not sure the holster has enough retention without it. I've got a Fobus and an old G.I. holster, so I'm actually covered, but I would like a good CCW holster like a Summer Special.