The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Metal god

whats a great all around caliber that will be in stock when the SHTF

I've been thinking I would like a good all around rifle that I would be able to get ammo for when panic buying is in full swing .

It would need to be / have

good for any animal in the north America

total wieght 8lbs or under

holds at least 4 rounds

stainless steel

stopping power or good energy transfer out to 3 or 4 hundred yards .

iron sights and able to mount a scope

Known to be an accurate round

ammo would generally not be to expensive during non panic times . ( $1 to $1.50 a round . less is always good )

ammo is made by many manufacturers . ( this should make it more available )

re loadable

That's all I can think of for now . I have 223/5.56 , 308 , 22lr among others and could not find any ammo that was not four times the normal price . I keep a stash so in the grand scheme of things I was not in any trouble per say but I sure was not able to shoot as much as I like to these last few months

Any and all ideas welcome .

Thanks metal

Last edited by Metal god; April 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:05 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

30.06?
Old April 28, 2013, 01:25 AM   #3
alex0535

7mm mag would be my choice for any game in north America or a .30-06 would probably be adequate. Both have a large selection of ammo makers and rifle manufactures that will make something in or under the weight with the features you want.

Ammo is and will continue to be expensive during panic.

Stopping power of the 7mm mag is significant. I consider it much more gun that I would ever need where I live for shooting whitetail, hogs, or black bear. .30-06 is still more gun than I need here.

For any game on 4 legs in this state our pair of Marlin 336 in .30-30 and .35 Remington will do everything I need it to do. A stainless 336 in .30-30 will hold 6 rounds. I don't know that I would go after a moose with it, but 1 good shot to the head would kill it just as dead as anything else. I also don't know how I would feel about shooting it 400 yards, because we don't usually have that much open space here.
Old April 28, 2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Metal god

Yea I love both 06 and 7mm mag but I was thinking they are both still very common . Look at 308 and 223 , the most common and all gone . The 30-30 was a thought but not a good long rang bullet and may be all sold out as well .

This is where I'm at in my head about this and I'm not sure if these would be under powered cus I've never owned or shot them . Right now only a few hours in to this thought process my first thought is 25-06 and my 2nd is 260 those are both showing over 1k ft lbs of energy at 500yds . Not sure what penetration would be but I guess that would depend on the bullet .

I guess I could add a question to all this . Is there a cartridge / caliber / bullet that you all have noticed that for the most part stayed in stock and or was available these last 4 or 5 months ? If yes does it fit in to my wants and needs

If anybody thinks my thinking is off let me know . Like if 30-06 has been in stock most places while this panic has been going on . Then that would be a good choice .

Last edited by Metal god; April 28, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:40 AM   #5
jmr40

Anything could be sold out. The popular ammo such as 223, 9mm, 308, etc. will be the first to go, but will also be the 1st to come back. I'm seeing a few boxes of 45 colt ,243, 7mm mag, 300WSM in our local Walmarts, but that is all stuff manufactured pre-panic and just now getting on shelves. None of the ammo makers are going to stop production of 223 long enough to make a small run of 7X57, 6.5X55 or any other ammo that is traditionally a slow seller. These will be the last to get back on shelves after the panic ends.

The only way to make sure you have ammo in stock is to keep enough in stock in your home to get through the dry spells. I reload and have 200-300 loaded rounds of 308 and 30-06 and enough bullets, powder, and primers for at least 2000 more.

I'd buy a SS bolt rilfe of my choice in either 308 or 30-06. Very few come from the factory with irons, but they can easily be added for less than the cost of a budget scope and mounts. Personally I'd just put a quality variable power scope on it with 1X or 2X on the bottom end. I've had more iron sights fail than scopes, a 1X or 2X scope is faster for close range shots than irons and with the ability to go up to 4X- 7X offers plenty of magnification for well beyind 400 yards.

The Ruger All Weather Hawkeye gets my vote for the best buy in this category. I personally prefer the Winchester Extreme Weather. The Winchester is a little more expensive, but worth it to me. A little more refined, slighltly more accurate and they hold 5+1 vs 4+1 compared to most other bolt guns. The Winchester Ultimate Shadow SS is a compromise. Basically the same rifle as the EW, but with a cheaper stock and priced closer to the Ruger.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535135

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535110

http://ruger.com/products/m77Hawkeye...er/models.html
Old April 28, 2013, 07:06 AM   #6
globemaster3

I'm with Metal God on this one... Look at the shelves right now and tell me what you see.

In this area, 30-06, 7mm08, 30-30, any magnum, 7x57, 6.5x55, are all available around here. Just walking through BPS about a month ago, as long as you WERE NOT looking for .223, .308, .243 (that was a surprise), 7.62x39, .22lr, or any of the popular Semiauto handgun rounds, there was plenty of ammo on the shelves. Using that logic, you can identify what will be in stock... The other common rounds that are not used in popular AR formats.

Since you're looking for enough retained energy at 300-400 yards, I would lean heavily towards the magnum chamberings with 30-06 as the floor and work my way up.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 28, 2013, 07:13 AM   #7
manta49

When and why is panic buying going to get into full swing. I thought there was already panic buying in America for some reason.

Quote. Panic is a sudden sensation of fear which is so strong as to dominate or prevent reason and logical thinking, replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation consistent with an animalistic fight-or-flight reaction. Panic may occur singularly in individuals or manifest suddenly in large groups as mass panic (closely related to herd behavior). PS The sort of behaviour i would do my best to avoid.

I am sure there are lots of calibers available you could stock if you are concerned about future shortages.

Last edited by manta49; April 28, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old April 28, 2013, 07:44 AM   #8
stephen426

I would go with .308 even though it gets sold out fairly quickly. It is good all around and has plenty of power for most game in the US. You could get an AR-10 which has iron sights as well as the ability to mount a scope. Prices aren't cheap and they don't come in stainless, but you could buy a stainless barrel for it.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Willie Lowman

The only ammo that will be in stock is the ammo you have already bought.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The idea of planning to buy ammo during a panic seems.... incongruous... to me.

Better idea... get the gun you want and get enough ammo to get through a panic.

Even better, better idea. If you don't reload, START! and purchase enough supplies to get you comfortably through the next panic. These things last 6 months or so. Have 6 months of supplies.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:32 AM   #11
steveNChunter

If your'e a reloader, choosing something in the 30-06 or .308 cartridge families would be a good idea since you could neck up or down cases from several different cartridges to fit yours. Pick a cartridge with a bullet diameter that's not SUPER popular, like 25-06 in the '06 family, or .260 in the .308 family.

But an even better idea IMO is to pick a reasonably inexpensive cartridge that fits your bill, and go ahead and be stocked up in advance. If you want something good for any animal in North America, I cant think of anything more versatile than a .30-06
Old April 28, 2013, 10:08 AM   #12
hooligan1

I'll bite on this thread once...
.270 win
3006 Springfield
7mm rem mag..
.22 rifle (auto/ bolt)
12 guage shotgun
.45 acp pistol
Old April 28, 2013, 10:16 AM   #13
BumbleBug

Simple: .30-06

Also as others suggested, set-up to reload for it. A .308 cal bullet mold would be a good idea too!

FWIW...

...bug
Old April 28, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hard to find a poorly-made bolt-action. Bunches of plenty-good out there.

I'd be stocking up on ammo and components when there isn't any panic. That way, when any panic hits, I don't have to care.

From a practical standpoint as to cartridge in an "any critter" size, a .308 or '06 would work as well as any other. Dunno as how I'd go picking on Mr. Griz with one, but if I'm sitting on a hillside and he didn't know I was there, I figure I could give him one last migraine. Otherwise, a .308 works just fine for Bambi, elk and meese.
Old April 28, 2013, 11:18 AM   #15
Metal god

good stuff so far . all though you guys are correct to say I should keep enough ammo on hand . As my first post states , I do but this is not what I'm looking for in this thread

I do like the idea of having a cartridge that can be necked down to fit multiple rifles . Can you neck up ?

As for reloading . I don't yet but only cus my stuff has not been in stock . I have some stuff already press , tumbler , dies , and a bunch of other stuff . Really just waiting for bullets and powder that are on backorder

While I was looking at those Winchesters linked above . I saw another caliber I thought might be good and maybe better then the ones I picked earlier . hat about the 7mm-08

I am liking the idea of the 30-06 and the 25-06 combo though

Thanks again , I'm off to the range for a day of fun in the sun
Old April 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Darto

30-30 or 30-06 rifle
22 LR pistol/rifle
38 special revolver

I would hope to find 30-30 and a good lever action for fast shooting that will cycle any ammo, even if you run out of cleaning solvents, oil, etc.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:27 PM   #17
jmr40

Quote:
I do like the idea of having a cartridge that can be necked down to fit multiple rifles . Can you neck up ?
Yes. I use re-sized 30-06 brass to make brass for my 338-06. But doing so limits the number of times you can use the brass somewhat.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
the rifleer

This is kind of ironic for me, because i bought my mini 14 about a year ago and my logic was "its .223, you can find it everywhere no matter what. Its also the cheapest centerfire round out there"

I have been proven wrong.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:50 PM   #19
Sarge

Post 10 nailed it, along with the guy who mentioned that anything can be sold out. 'SHTF' don't do well here; but if the Projected Unpleasantness were to occur, you can pretty well forget buying any high-demand item including ammo. Besides, all it takes to ruin your little corner of the US economy is for a car to hit a light pole. Ever been in a checkout line when the power went out?

Get stocked and stay stocked. A couple-hundred rounds of rifle ammo will last several years if you don't waste it into a dirt pile. I've bought a little ammo along, when and where I can find it at or near pre-panic prices. Otherwise, I'll get through this mess just like I did the last one. When you make your own ammo, there are no shortages.
Old April 28, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
CTS

I am pretty sure the the S already HTF. 30-06 would be the best choice in my opinion for "any american animal" but, that is really only the case if you are a hand loader. You can load down to a saboted .22 round and use it on rabbits and all the way up to 220 grain projectiles that are capable of taking down any large game. The only real answer is to stock up and be prepared regardless of what caliber you choose.
Old April 28, 2013, 02:12 PM   #21
jmr40

Quote:
This is kind of ironic for me, because i bought my mini 14 about a year ago and my logic was "its .223, you can find it everywhere no matter what. Its also the cheapest centerfire round out there"

I have been proven wrong.
Long term I don't think you were wrong at all. This is just a bump in the road when you look at the big picture. The common rounds, 223, 9mm, 30-06 etc. will still be the easiest to get if you think long term. This happened in 2008 and the same thing happened.

At the start of panics like this the most common chamberings go first. We are in the middle, hopefully nearing the end. There are still some less common ammo on the shelves, but in very limited quantities since there was never a huge demand for them. As the panic buying slows and eventually ends the common rounds will be back on the shelves 1st and in the greatest numbers. It will be a long time before ammo makers have time to think about switching over to making some of the less common chamberings.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:42 PM   #22
hgmeyer

I learned my lesson well!

The last time I didn't learn a thing, apparently. This time I have!!!!

My goal...a stockpile of: 4000 .22LR 2000 .223 2000 .308 2000 .45ACP AND 8lbs of the following... BLC (2) Varget and 4 lbs of Unique 8 lbs of Red Dot and 20/28 1000 once fired .223, .308 and .45ACP (each) wads and shot and bullets 2000 Small Rifle Primers, 2000 Large Rifle Primers and 2000 small pistol primers. Plus all of the current "stuff".

I know it will take 2 0r three years to get where I want to be. But, no more "wait till I need it and then run to Cabelas". Every purchase is a multiple of what I "need". I use one and stockpile one (or more, if I bought in bulk).

My son lives a block away and we have a very nice reloading room setup there. We "took over" a seldom used closet as a "warehouse". Once or twice a week we run some reloads for the "warehouse" and for anything we want to shoot, always a "box" or so extra for the warehouse.

I already feel better. I have a plan.

This "plan" follows my analysis that I will always need a rimfire pistol, a centerfire pistol, a rimfire rifle, a small centerfire and a large centerfire, a 20ga and a 12ga shotgun. You might choose to have more or fewer but that is a good selection for all round use/need. My choices are .22LR, .223, .308, .45 ACP and 12 and 20GA. I have others and will keep a good supply ahead of what I use.

A side benefit is that my son and I enjoy our time together loading. Before, it was sort of in anticipation of shooting, now we have a goal and still enjoy it.

Last edited by hgmeyer; April 28, 2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:53 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

Planning ahead to not plan ahead...

I guess I missed something.

.68 cal
Melt the lead off your neighbors roof and make the gun cotton from common household items.
Pretty sure it has taken all game in NA.
Old April 28, 2013, 08:54 PM   #24
BigD_in_FL

Any medium bore game cartridge such as the 6.5, 270, 7x57, 7mag, 30-06 range will do the job and are usually available. I stopped at the local wally world tonight and went by the ammo section. The only stuff there was 243, 270, 7mag - the rest of the section was empty - now, this is Florida so take that for what it is worth. In the Rockies, those might be missing and something else might be more prevalent - you need to consider that for where you live
Old April 28, 2013, 09:13 PM   #25
The Verminator

As has been stated here many times recently, the .270 Winchester has been available at reasonable prices through this recent ammo famine.

It's pretty unique in that respect.