The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 12:49 AM   #26
chris in va

My first centerfire was an early XD9. It didn't take long for me to realize my large hand size wouldn't reliably disengage the miniscule grip safety. Sold it and got a CZ.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:47 AM   #27

If you care about American manufacturing jobs don't get either. Pick something made in the good ol USA. That's a big list including: S&W, Ruger, Kahr, multiple 1911 manufacturers, even brands like Sig, Beretta, FN Good luck
Old March 12, 2013, 11:08 AM   #28
blackamos

Some of the new Glock 17's are made in the U.S.A. but most get shipped overseas.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Sabula Farmer

Boy oh boy....that's a difficult question to answer. Both Guns are great pieces of hardware. I'd say if this is your first gun, go with the Glock. I'd still pick up the xd later on. I have three glocks, and sold 3 in the past 10 years....I bought the 3 I have now because I couldn't go without them....that should tell you something.
Xd's are very good and I am personally searching for the xd 9mm duty, I like everything I have read about them.
S.F.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:11 PM   #30
Renuco612

So I ended up making my purchase yesterday. I ended up with the XD9 Tactical. That gun felt so natural in my hands. I couldn't get the Glock to feel comfortable at all. Living in California sucks, the gen4 Glock will never make it here unless you change it to a single shot only but i don't want to go through all that. I felt the gen4 in Nevada and it fits nice but to bad i.live in California. These next 10 days is gonna tough.

I don't even have the piece yet and Im already thinking of changing the sights to the TFO sights.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:51 PM   #31
TunnelRat

^ Best of luck and enjoy!
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 16, 2013, 07:54 PM   #32
DougU

You will love it! I picked up an XD45 Tactical this year, although it isnt perfect (what is?) is has become my favorite handgun to shoot. I will be picking up a compact for carry.....soon I hope
Old March 16, 2013, 11:46 PM   #33
cheezhed

I bought an XD because it felt better in my hand but I had no problem with the Glock grip. I did want to shoot lead bullets in my pistol so at that time it was considered a no no in a Glock, not sure if it still is. I did not want to buy a separate barrel if I didn't have to.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:55 AM   #34
highpower3006

You'll love your XD. I have an XD-9 service pistol and it really shoots nice. My first trip to the range I was beating the snot out of the dueling tree and the plates. I bought it on a whim due to it being a good deal and have no regrets.

I also have a Gen3 Glock 17 and it's a pretty good gun also. A little different feel to the grip, but like anything, once you get used to it you don't notice the difference.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:33 AM   #35
thedudeabides

Find which one fits your hand best.

Rent both, see which one shoots better for you.

My 2 cents says Glock.

Discussing which plastic gun is the best is like arguing the merits of boy bands.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:32 AM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

XD9 or Glock 17 as first gun.

I once had all Glock 9mms. Literally lol. Now I just have the 17 and 19

I'm going to buy the 26,17L, and 34 again.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:15 PM   #37
Darker Loaf

As a long time XD 9mm owner, I'd say that it should come down to personal preference. My XD 4" Service Length V-10 in 9mm has seen over 10,000 rounds through it. I've worn out a guide rod in it, and blown out an EFK "Dragon Fire" externally ported barrel (with a squib???? or bad manufacturing?) while shooting it. This is the easily the most reliable firearm I've ever owned (though my RRA Elite Operator 2 and my Kahr K9 Elite might top it when I punch enough paper with them). I have definitely had malfunctions with mine (like a hand full), but I can say, that if the guide rod has semi-fresh springs, the mag has sat loaded too long (or is just too old), and it is semi-clean (like under 1,000 dirty rounds through it and not over lubed), it will run. And don't kid yourself Glock lovers: I've seen Glocks fail, too. All guns will fail on you. They are machines.

That being said, Glocks have better factory trigger in my opinion. It's easier to find the "wall" for me on a factory Glock than a factory XD. Glocks have a really distinct trigger that makes it easy (for me at least) to find the breaking point. But my XD has a custom trigger, from Boom-to-Zoom, WI--Mark has magic fingers, so it is waaaay better than a Glock. People who shoot my gun tend to get an overly positive impression of XD's because of the trigger an the internal porting.

Both Glocks and XD's have plenty of aftermarket options for them, and really, both can have awesome triggers. If I were to start again, I'd probably go with fully custom Lone Wolf in 9mm either a 34 or an "L." Glocks do have more reliable magazines. XD factory mags will not feed powdery steel case ammo (like WPA), where as Glock factory mags will. Mecgar XD mags change that though, as they hold 18 rounds fairly flush, and can feel dry/powdery steel case ammo. But XD factory mags are plenty good, so long as you feed them good aluminum or brass case.

One weird thing that I've learned about XD's after owning them is that they have a shorter sighting radius than Glocks of equal barrel lengths. Because Glock barrels are lower and more forward, it makes the entire gun longer. So a Service 4" XD will be a much shorter gun than a G17. For me, this is a bad thing, and I really want to own a 5" Tactical XD or a G34 or a G17L. Not that I'd sell my XD Service V-10 for any reason.

On XD vs XDm's, I'd be tempted to do an XDm over an XD. XD's are easier to gunsmith a custom trigger for, as the trigger mechanism is less complex, due to the added safety of the XDm's takedown (you don't need to pull the trigger I believe). But really, an XDm can have as good a trigger as an XD, probably. XDm's have bigger magazines at a whopping 19 rounds, but really, you should be buying Mecgar 18 rounders for your XD which will run better than the XDm's non-coated factory mag and you will only loose a round. XDm's are probably a better base if you are building your gun up, because you can get a 5.25" gun which would have a sight radius similar to a G34. For me, I'd recommend either gun 5.25" or a 34 for a beginning shooter (and wish I owned one of either, personally).

But, likely, I'm stuck with regular XD's and will probably do some horribly expensive custom work on a 5" Tactical model, or I'll jump ship and make a 6" barreled Lone Wolf Glock. For I am a sick, sick man.

Last edited by Darker Loaf; March 18, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:41 PM   #38
CraigJS

If to be used for SD, see which one "points" better for you. If the gun points naturally for you, you will shoot it better if under stress. SD and target shooting are two totally different animals. That said, I have an XD9sc and a G19 Gen3, the XD fits my hand better. YMMV
Old March 19, 2013, 12:24 PM   #39
droptrd

outside of what feels best in your hand,

Glock has a far superior finish - this is fact not just my opinion

Glock has support of a HUGE aftermarket. Much more than the XD line. This means holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere and easy to find.

These things do not make a difference in how the gun functions. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when deciding.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Glock has a far superior finish - this is fact not just my opinion
How do you consider Glock's Tennifer finish to be far superior to Melonite used by HS Produkt (SA XD/XDm) and S&W? Both are pretty good finishes, very corrosion resistant, and the application of Melonite increases the steel's hardness rating as measured by the Rockwell C standard.
Old March 19, 2013, 10:15 PM   #41
Tactical Jackalope

XD9 or Glock 17 as first gun.

Now we're debating marginal differences in finishes? Really? -____-
Old March 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #42
blackamos

He made his decision. They are both good guns. He found one more to his liking, like every one of us that made the same decision. I doubt either one could be called "a bad one".
Old March 19, 2013, 10:33 PM   #43
jsust

its funny how 6.8 forgot to mention hi-point in the "If you care about American manufacturing jobs don't get either. Pick something made in the good ol USA" rant. made in ohio!
Old March 20, 2013, 04:28 PM   #44
Jager78

It all depends on if you like better ergonomics, higher capacity, or both.

If you like both then go with the M&P Pro. Ok, it is not as high capacity as a Glock or an XD but still 15 for .40S&W and 17 for 9mm is still very good.

Glock, XD, and M&P's are all very fine handguns. For DA Only I personally prefer the M&P series a little more than the XDs and Glocks. Feels better in my hand and points better. I am the type that will usually sacrifice a round or two for comfort.

Last edited by Jager78; March 20, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 03:51 AM   #45
Justice06RR

You can probably find the XD for much less than the Glock and also easier to find in stock.

They are both great guns, but my preference is the XD9.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:14 PM   #46
Renuco612

My XD will finally be able to come home tomorrow. But over the weekend i shot a buddy's XD with thwart TFO sights. Now I'm thinking of changing them before i take it home.

What do y'all think? Are the TFO sights a good choice or should i go with something else?
Old March 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #47
sho'nuff

I would go with glock because I hate grip safeties. But if thats your kind of thing go for it
Old March 26, 2013, 01:02 AM   #48

Get ready for a curveball from the XDm guy! I had a 1994 model Ruger P89 I used for handload testing. which it was excellent for. Had some problems with the trigger bar plunger tube so I sent it off to Ruger. They called last Tuesday and said they really didn't support the P89 anymore, and offered me an SR9 at a very sweet price. Got it today and it's a considerably better pistol than I was expecting. It uses a similar trigger design as the Glock, but it's shorter and crisper. I was actually investigating trigger kits while I was waiting on its arrival. It's trimmer than a Glock, M&P or the XDm with a 4.14" barrel that makes the slide just longer than a G19's, but the trimness of this pistol will make it easily carriable for me. The trigger is excellent for a combat pistol. Since mine just came off the production line it has a few cosmetic changes and looks great with the stainless slide. IMO, it's the equal of any Glock 9mm and like the XDm, it has a steel chamber block under the chamber in battery so the chamber is surrounded by steel. The sights are outstanding and fully adjustable for windage and elevation. Ruger hit a grand slam with this one, guys. This is the best designed and made American pistol I've seen in some years.

Speaking of SIGs, I have a 226. Kinda funny that some people never notice it when they consider a polymer frame pistol, but the chamberblock design of the Croatian Sensation was actually copied from the SIG/Sauer P22X series and I'm glad to see that Ruger used a very similar system. I know that the early generation SR9s had trigger issues but I guarantee you they've been fixed and then some. Y'all owe it to yourselves to check one out and I'm very pleased that I could buy American again, 6.8!

Last edited by 57K; March 26, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:52 AM   #49
lee n. field

Quote:
They called last Tuesday and said they really didn't support the P89 anymore,
Really? That's not good. It wasn't that long ago that they dropped the P89 from the line.

That tells me Ruger might not be supporting their old stuff as well as they once did.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #50
Gunbunny1

either and or....

As someone whom a first gun just happened to show up one day....I learned on what I still consider the best. My 70 year old FN BHP. I learned on a 9m so I am not afraid of the larger caliber. I would go with the SA XD. Quality is on par. I will tell you this....either gun will work. But...when its all said and done you have to HOLD it in your hands. I vote for ergonomics every time. If it dont feel just right in your hands it will set in the bottom of your gun drawer...unused.
WW11 FN Browning Hi-Power 9m, F.E I. 22lr POS revolver, Sig Mosquito 22lr SA, Taurus 94 22lr revolver. My next gun.....357 magnum revolver or 45 ACP SA....so many choices so little time...hey show me that great big shiney one.....hummmm....looks like my wallet just got several bills lighter..