The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2012, 04:28 PM   #26
deucelee

thanks alot guys for educating me...thanks for the humor as well, some of you game me a great laugh...

I'm just going to be small gaming and the chances of me encountering a bear is probably nil...then again you'd never know...better safe then sorry right?

i will look into some of the options you guys mentioned
Old August 8, 2012, 05:10 PM   #27
rmorgan9718

Bear

Bear Spray, Whistle, and if you have to have a semi-auto handgun under $400, try the HiPoint 45.

my $0.02 worth

rick
Old August 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #28
j3ffr0

If you want to fend off bears before they can kill you, bear spray will probably be more effective than most hand guns including the most powerful ones.

For a relatively inexpensive to shoot automatic hand-gun that will fend off two legged predators, consider a 9mm. The 9mm ammo is cheaper to shoot than anything other than .22.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:29 PM   #29
cuba

No such thing as a free lunch, unless the bear gets to you.

All kidding aside you can't have everything in your criteria but you can come close. Take the ammunition the only cartridge that will come close to your criteria is the 10mm it will serve you well as a woods gun and home defense, and any substantial cartridge will bring a premium $.

Now as far as the best bang for your buck category, I will have to echo the other members that have suggested the EAA Witness 10mm, a very robust, easy to handle, high capacity, and reliable pistol at a reasonable price, under $500.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old August 10, 2012, 02:04 AM   #30
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucelee View Post
thanks alot guys for educating me...thanks for the humor as well, some of you game me a great laugh...

I'm just going to be small gaming and the chances of me encountering a bear is probably nil...then again you'd never know...better safe then sorry right?

i will look into some of the options you guys mentioned
Bear in mind, you just have to be the fastest runner of the bunch.