The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 1998, 11:52 PM   #1
Morgan

Jim Murnak, president of FIST holsters, has asked me to test one of his holsters for him. He asked only for my honest opinion, and you Firing Line guys are scooping him!

The holster is a #12 (his basic strong side hip pancake model), with the optional body protector tab. Normal cost is $49.95, plus $8 for the body protector tab, plus $7.25 shipping for the holster and a belt I purchased to go with it - see the Belts thread for info on it. It's for my new USP40 full size.

My first impression is that its a very high quality item. Beautifully finished and hand boned, and snug. I'm going to have to play with it a lot to get it to loosen up a bit. I turned it upside down (over the bed) and shook as hard as I could and couldn't get the gun to come out. It's even snugger (is that a word?) when on my hip.

I'm tall, broad shouldered, narrow in the hips, and thin, so a jacket hangs off me like a curtain, making concealment easy. That said, my big, bad, USP full size disappears under a sport coat in this holster. It's held nice and snug against my body, moderately high ride, with muzzle-rear rake (FBI tilt), which I like.

FIST's service was good. Jim assured me he treated me like any other customer. (I think he's found that magazines he advertises in won't give an honest review, surprise-surprise, which is why I'm so lucky!).

The holster is an excellent value for the price, with exellent workmanship (as good as I've ever seen). I'd be pleased with this holster if I'd paid for it.

I'll post back next week, after a good break-in period.
Old December 12, 1998, 12:02 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Morgan-
Thanks very much for the review. These are very important to the goals of TFL. I look forward to next week's follow up.

For those of you who are interested Fist products may be found at http://www.fist-inc.com/ .
Regards,
Rich
Old December 12, 1998, 01:05 PM   #3
dome

Morgan, Greg Kramer of Kramer holster suggests to loosen a holster, wrap several layers around the gun, and then insert it into th holster. Leave it for a few days and it should be loose enough for the draw without a problem. I've tried it and it WORKS. Thought this might be of interest.
Old December 12, 1998, 01:36 PM   #4
Morgan

Dome - layers of what? Cloth, leather? Let me know and I'll give it a try.

Scratch that, Dome - stupid question. Only an old t-shirt would fit around it and in the holster. It is working, though - thanks!

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited 12-12-98).]