The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 17, 2004, 01:53 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Python Woes

I have just noticed a emerging problem with my Python. It appears that the cylinder bolt is not starting to retract soon enough before the hand starts to revolve the cylinder. Just a slight hang up as of now. The gun is from the late '50's I bought it new.($95) I have shot very few magnum loads mostly .38 wadcutters. I took the sideplate off and it is clean inside, I have disassembled it completely before for a thorough cleaning with no problems.
Any suggestions? Does Colt still have a repair facility? Any parts I could replace myself? I am used to working on precision mechanisms like clocks.
I don't mind sending it, but it is such a hassle by $@$^&**% UPS :barf:
Your advice please. Thanks!
GASCHECK
Old July 17, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It could be as simple as adjusting the bolt leg, or it may be worn to the extent it needs to have a new bolt fitted.

I'm a retired Master watchmaker/ Colt pistolsmith, and unless you're a qualified Colt 'smith, don't try it yourself.

Colt's are DIFFERENT, and the critical working area are TINY. Not at all like a clock.

For repairs, I recommend the Colt factory, or

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412)766-6100

Also, Cylinder & Slide Shop in Nebraska.

Of the three, Colt will likely be the cheapest and fastest, although Pittsburgh used to be Colt's overflow repair station.

If you do want to try it yourself, buy a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The Colt Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual, Vol. One".
This is available from Brownell's, Midway, and a number of on-line and local book sellers.

This contains EVERYTHING about repairing, rebuilding, and troubleshooting the old style Colt actions.
Old July 17, 2004, 11:27 PM   #3
Bladeandbarrel

Even though I consider a Python a thing of real American beauty, the innards are fragile and poorly contrived. I once shot one out of time with less than 500 magnum loads.

The Python is accrate as all hell, prettier than all the rest, but a real wuss on the inside. The lack of forward lockup in a magnum revolver is a bad idea!