The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Carriertxv

Lee dies for 44 magnum

I'm looking for a set of dies for loading 44 special and magnum. At the gun store they have a Lee 3 die set for 44 magnum and a 4 die set for 44 special and it says they can be used for 44 magnum.
Are the dies for 44 special shorter than the 3 die magnum ones? I realize the 4 die set has a factory crimp die but whats the deal here?
Only Lee anything I've every used was a Lee loader for 45/70 in a trapdoor 45 years ago.
Old October 29, 2016, 06:20 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

To Lee or noit to Lee...

I would pass, then again, I am niot a Lee fan.

44 mag dies can be used for 44 spcl...not certain of the reverse.
Check out Lee's web site.
Old October 29, 2016, 06:42 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Go with anything other than lee stuff, I to am not a fan of lee stuff.
Old October 29, 2016, 06:48 PM   #4
TMD

The .44 Special / .44 Mag dies are one and the same just like their .38 Special / .357 mag. The 4 dies set includes the factory crimp die. I have both and have loaded thousands in each without issue. I also have dies from RCBS and Hornady. Between the 3 brands and almost two dozen calibers I load for they all produce the same quality ammo. Just make sure you get the carbide dies so you don't have to lube the cases.
Old October 29, 2016, 07:21 PM   #5
LeverGunFan

In this case you want the 44 Special die set, it can be used to also load the 44 Magnum. Some of the individual 44 Special dies are shorter than the corresponding 44 Magnum die. You can screw the 44 Special die out of the press to accommodate the 44 Magnum, but you may not be able to screw the 44 magnum die in far enough to work with the 44 Special. Redding makes a set of spacers that can be used with 38 Special dies for 357 Magnum and 44 Special dies for 44 Magnum for just this purpose.
Old October 29, 2016, 08:19 PM   #6
jt8769594

Get Rcbs dies for your 44 and Lee crimper

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2016, 08:51 PM   #7
rob-c

I have loaded several hundred 44 mag rounds with my lee 4 die set and they work great...
Old October 29, 2016, 10:54 PM   #8
Carriertxv

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want this to be a bash Lee thread. I just wanted to know why they have those two different sets. I know many that use Lee equipment and are happy with them.
I have uesd only single seat and crimp dies and have worked fine for me. Never gave the seat and crimp two die a thought till today.
I am using a Hornady LNL AP press. Do those Lee 44 Special dies set up the same as my Hornady, Lyman or RCBS dies seeing as they are supposed to be shorter? I didn't see any spacers in the box.
I'll probably just load the 44 magnum cases with special loads like I do with38/357.
Old October 29, 2016, 11:25 PM   #9
Clark

The carbide ring in an RCBS 44 mag sizer die is 0.447" go.
I do not have the Lee die, but I would suppose it is about the same.
My S&W 29-4 chambers are 0.458".
This is not benchrest. At least 0.009" of flopping around in there.

I can load semi wad cutter hollow base bullets with Lee dies in 32-20 and 38 special that when my brother shoots them, it keeps the soup can rolling at 100 feet.

I can't shoot that well, but I think Lee pistol dies are good enough.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old October 30, 2016, 08:16 AM   #10
SARuger

I load for my .44mag from my LEE 4-die set and make some damn accurate loads with it. I guess I'm at or around 1500 rounds from my die set with no issues.
Old October 30, 2016, 09:09 AM   #11
reddog81

44 Special will work for 44 Mag, but I wouldn't use the factory crimp die with the lead bullets I reload. A roll crimp is all you need for revolver rounds.

The 44 Mag dies might work for 44 Special or you might have problems with the brass fully expanding on the expanded and getting the bullets seated correctly.

The Lee dies will work the same way on the LNL as any other die set does. Obviously you'll need the correct shell plate for 44 rounds.
Old October 30, 2016, 09:23 AM   #12
Reloadron

Pretty much as has been covered:
Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum
Quote:
The Lee Deluxe Handgun 4-Die Set is a great set of reloading dies for anyone looking for a set of dies that will reload accurate ammunition every time the dies used. Each Deluxe 4-Die Set comes packaged with a carbide full length sizing die with decapping unit, powder through expanding die (used for expanding and belling the case mouth while charging the case with powder), a bullet seating die, and Lee's exclusivecarbide Factory Crimp Die.
So within Lee Dies what the four die set offers over the three die set is the FCD (Factory Crimp Die) and the FCD is pretty much a matter of choice, I never saw a need for the FCD and just apply a good roll crimp to my 44 Remington Magnum and other loads similar in case design.Then we have the Lee three die set:

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum
Quote:
The Lee Carbide 3-Die Set is a great set of reloading dies for any reloader looking for a set of dies that will produce accurate ammunition for many years. Lee dies are made to exacting tolerances helping to create accurate ammunition every time they are used. Each Carbide 3-Die Set comes packaged with a carbide sizing die with decapping unit, powder through expanding die (used for expanding and belling the case mouth while charging the case with powder) and bullet seating die.
Nice feature with Lee Dies is that many include the needed shell holder. As I mentioned, the seater die in the 3 Die set includes a seater which will roll crimp the 44 Magnum straight wall cases. Matter of personal preference.I have a Lee three die set and they get the job done just fine.

The RCBS .44 MG/.44SP three die set #18612 RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum
Quote:
Made from polished and heat-treated steel, the RCBS Carbide 3-Die Set has a Sizer Die with Decapping Unit, Expander Die for expanding and belling the case mouth and a Seater Die for seating and crimping the bullet (Straight wall cases will roll crimp, unless the description indicates it has a taper crimp). No sizing lube is needed with these carbide dies. Shellholder sold separately. Comes with a plastic storage case and Lifetime Guarantee from RCBS
The RCBS set includes a spacer for making easy fast change between 44 Mag and 44 SSpl. Something else I like is the RCBS set includes an extra seater plug which comes in handy when doing RN or SWC bullets (RCBS Part #702836. I like having that seater plug included.

Overall, unless you really want the FCD I would buy either three die set, either RCBS or Lee. I have both and they all work fine and have lasted a long time.

Ron
Old October 30, 2016, 09:54 AM   #13
Carriertxv

So the dimensions of the 3 die set are the same as the ones in the 4 die set? If the Lee seating die only has one seating plug will any of the RCBS, Hornady or Lyman plugs fit the Lee die?
Old October 30, 2016, 10:24 AM   #14
Reloadron

Quote:
So the dimensions of the 3 die set are the same as the ones in the 4 die set? If the Lee seating die only has one seating plug will any of the RCBS, Hornady or Lyman plugs fit the Lee die?
Nope, I can tell you with the RCBS and Lee dies sitting here the Lee Die used a different two piece seater plug design and different thread pitch diameter. Apple and orange. Not going to happen. RCBS uses a 1/2" 20 TPI seater.

Yes, the three or four die sets have the same dimensions. The difference with the Lee four die set is the addition of the Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die). It's a matter of how you setup the die between loading 44 Mag or 44 Spl with the die screwed down slightly more for 44 Spl having the shorter case.

The merit to the spacer I mentioned earlier is rather than set up the die for the .44 Spl and then back it out for 44 Mag you simply add or remove the spacer what changing between the two cartridges.

Ron
Old October 30, 2016, 10:28 AM   #15
reddog81

The Lee seating plug is not interchangeable with any of my RCBS dies. I'm not sure about the other brands but I'd guess they are not. The Lee seating plug is one of the complaints I have about their dies. The plugs have much larger threads with a looser fit and it seems like they can drift out of the setting much easier than RCBS ones. The one good thing about their plugs is that they are usually fairly accommodating for multiple bullet types.
Old October 30, 2016, 10:44 AM   #16
mikld

Don't get the 4 die set. The Lee FCD is a waste of time, effort, and money. (BTDT and now my FCD resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon). I got one for my .44 Magnum several years ago just out of curiosity. The die ruined my finely sized cast bullet loads and resulted in poor accuracy and barrel leading. Also, I have reloaded several thousand 45 ACP and 9mm rounds, all without a Lee FCD. Learn how to adjust your dies and an FCD is totally unnecessary, just find the problem and fix it...

Not a Lee hater, I just dislike newer reloaders being told that the FCD is the best thing to come along since smokeless powder...
Old October 30, 2016, 11:46 AM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

I like using an independent crimping operation to insure there is no scraping of the bullets when a crimp is formed while seating. In the distant past I spent a lot of time with a dental pick getting the little rings of lead that result from one-step crimps off my case mouths. But for revolver, I think the Redding Profile Crimp Die is probably the best one currently on the market. It is a roll-crimp die with the lead into the crimp shoulder designed to prevent the case from buckling outward due to over crimping, so it allows harder crimps to be formed in magnum loads.

I also prefer the Lyman M Die style of stepped mouth flare to help bullets start into the case straight, which keeps them straight which actually does improve accuracy a bit. You can buy Lyman's Multi-expander Die, which is also a powder-through die, and it comes with inserts for all common handgun calibers so you buy just one and substitute it for the expander that came with any other handgun cartridge die set you bought.

Understand that neither of the above options are essential, but they do help make better ammo, IME.

The Lee sizing and handgun seating dies seem to work as well as anybody's. Some don't like their rubber o-ring insert lock rings, but others (John Feamster described this trick in 1995, which was the first time I saw it mentioned) will take an RCBS lock ring and put an o-ring under on the press to cause the die to float to self-center during sizing and seating. Lee has that trick covered for you, but it does mean adjusting the ring every time you take the die in or out of a press. And the floating really only matters to rifle accuracy levels.

If you have a difficult bullet nose shape, I think all the manufacturers will make you a custom seater ram for a fee.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 30, 2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Carriertxv

Thanks so much to all for the information. I have just been back to reloading this last couple of years.
Nick I have been looking at the Redding crimp die if I decide to go that way but been seating and crimping with one die years ago and since getting back and have never had an issue with any of the calibers that I load but I guess there's always more than one way to skin a cat.
I have had good success with the Hornady, Lyman and RCBS dies I have so will probably buy one of them for 44 magnum and special. But there seems to be a shortage of them where I'm at so I may have to try the Lee ones if I want to get loading 44 right away.
Old October 31, 2016, 10:52 AM   #19
mikld

+1 for the Redding Profile Crimp die. I use them on all my revolver reloading....
Old October 31, 2016, 12:11 PM   #20
Mauser69

I Love Lee Dies

I love Lee dies - they are ALWAYS my first choice. Many other dies are good, but all cost more than Lee and none have the same features that I prefer. Lee pistol expander plugs are all two-step expanders that function exactly like the Lyman M dies. In my opinion, they are actually better than the Lyman expanders, since the design makes it impossible for you to accidentally ram the expander plug too deep and ruin the brass - something that is very easy for a novice to do when switching from a magnum cartridge to a special cartridge on the same die set and forgetting to properly re-set the expander die!

Many die manufacturers sell only one set of dies for "sister" calibers, such as .44 spl/.44 Mag, so this confusion does not always come up. But Lee DOES sell different dies for each caliber; I do not know why, but it can cause problems if you do not understand it. .44 Spl dies can always be used to load .44 Magnum, but NOT the other way around. A little research on their web site will answer your questions. Their description of the .44 Spl dies specifically tells you that it also can load .44 Mag. Unfortunately, they do not include this information on the .44 Russian dies, which can also be used to load .44 Spl AND .44 Mag.

I only buy 4-die sets for pistol calibers that use a taper crimp, and even then I rarely ever use the FCD. Under no circumstances would I ever use the FCD with non-jacketed bullets.

I would never waste any money buying the 4-die set for revolver calibers - the FCD has zero value for any roll-crimp round in my opinion.

Last edited by Mauser69; October 31, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old October 31, 2016, 12:56 PM   #21
pete2

In my experience better results with RCBS over Lee. Lee stuff tends to be marginal for me.
Old October 31, 2016, 07:12 PM   #22
Carriertxv

Mikid does the Redding crimp die work that well for 357 mag or 44 mag? I have always seated and crimped with one die and have had no issues.
Old November 1, 2016, 01:45 AM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

I began loading in the early 70s, living in NY, where the dies on the shelf were almost all Lyman.

In the 80s, I moved west, and the common dies are RCBS. I use both, and I'm set up to load for 30 or so different cartridges. I have a couple sets of Lee dies, one in 357 and a so far still unused set for 7.62x54R.

I don't care for the features or the appearance of Lee dies, but that's just a personal bias. CHEAP dies are not my overriding factor. How may set of the same caliber dies do you think you will buy in your lifetime, anyway??

Unless YOU wreck them, they don't wear out. I'm still using my 70s vintage .44SPL/MAG dies, as well as some others. (decapping pins, however, are a wear/break part, so, having some spares in the tool kit is a smart thing to do)

LEE makes some absolutely superior hand tools, but their dies, presses, powder measures, etc., just don't do it for me. I'm not bashing them, they do work, but I'm not a fan.
Old November 1, 2016, 10:33 AM   #24
mikld

Yes, for me the profile crimp dies are much easier to keep consistent crimps on my .38 Sp/.357 Mag., .44 Sp/.44 Mag. I have Lee and RECS dies for my revolvers and have used the "stock" roll crimping but I seem to get easier crimping with the Redding die, especially heavy crimps for my T-Rex Killer .44 Magnum loads. I prefer to seat and crimp separately, and I have a turret press so my crimping is done evenly and quickly...
Old November 1, 2016, 10:58 AM   #25
Mauser69

Some Information in this thread is WRONG WRONG WRONG

Quote:
44 mag dies can be used for 44 spcl...not certain of the reverse.
This information from post #2 is ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

I know the correct response is included in several other replies, but I wanted to specifically point this out for anyone looking through this thread that does not yet fully understand the differences.

The resizing dies are identical - the only resizing is done by the carbide ring at the bottom of the die, so it makes NO difference how long the case is.

But the expander and seat/crimp dies are dependent on the length of the case - they MUST be able to go far enough down for the mouth of the case to reach the "active" parts of the die inside; therefore, a die made specifically for the magnum caliber is NOT going to be able to work with a shorter case. On the other hand, a die made for the shorter caliber can simply be backed out the appropriate amount to properly act upon a longer case - the only limitation on this is the length of the threads on the die body. It is conceivable that a super long case might exceed the available range of adjustment for some dies, but this is not the case for standard sister calibers such as .38 Spl/Mag and .44 Spl/Mag.