The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 3, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1
deepforks

Bell and Carlson Medalist

just ordered one in the olive w/black webbing...for a rem. 700 long action. most reviews i read were pretty positive, but i'd like to hear some 1st hand experiences. picked it up from stockys. thanks guys.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
ndking1126

I own the green with black web. Its on my Savage action currently as a .223. I'm very happy with it and would not hesitate to buy an other one.

The only issues I had was the space for the trigger guard was a little too small. 2 minutes with a dremel and all is good. I'm sure sandpaper would also work, just take longer. The other issue was getting the internal mag to stay "seated" in the stock. Not sure why I couldn't get it to stay initially, but once I finally got it in place, it hasn't moved and the stock has come off a couple of times.
Old December 4, 2011, 12:33 AM   #3
deepforks

good to hear. thanks. hope there are no fitting issues with my 700.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:50 AM   #4
deepforks

not happy with it at all. first, the action screws wont work. need longer ones. no big deal, it actually states in the instructions that longer ones may be needed. BUT, when i mocked it up, the gap at the end of the stock is insane. the barrel doesnt even lay in the channel. its basically above it. has anyone experienced this?
Old December 10, 2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Jerry45

Does your 700 have a Bull Barrel? If so the channel should be cut for it. I wrote and asked about my sporter barrel fit and was told there would be a large gap. I poster here in the Smithy forum and was told large probably meant 1/4 “ or so. Haven't purchased one.
Old December 11, 2011, 06:05 AM   #6
ndking1126

Is your 700 an ADL or BDL/SPS?

When I couldn't get my blind mag seated correctly, the outcome was pretty similiar to what I am envisioning your problem is. I couldn't close the bolt because it would get caught on the blind mag and the barrel sat high.

Pictures would be helpful.

Have you tried installing the action without any of the magazine stuff in it? If it sits better, that could indicate the magazine is what's keeping it from sitting correctly.

If I remember correctly, they are inletted for 1.25" barrels, so smaller barrels will have some space, but it should still look like the barrel is "in" the trough, not on top if it.. at least that's my experience.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:35 AM   #7
tobnpr

Cut the avg. group sizes dramatically when we replaced the cheap plastic VTR stock with it...would buy another (and may do so shortly for a Savage build).