The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 22, 2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Radny97

New Dan Wesson 715 - anyone have one?

I know I'm late to the dance on this one but surfing the internet I just discovered that CZ brought back the Dan Wesson 715 6 shot revolver last year. I'm very interested in this gun and was wondering if anyone on the forum owns one or has had a chance to handle one and could share their impressions. Thanks!
Old August 22, 2015, 06:52 AM   #2
UncleEd

Handled one. Didn't like it.

I think sales have been like lead balloons.

You'll be happier plunking down the same amount of money on a new or used Smith & Wesson or Ruger GP100. Actually, you'll save money.

I know, others will "violently" disagree.
Old August 22, 2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Radny97

What didn't you like about it? My primary interest is in getting a superbly accurate DA revolver. I already have a GP100 which can hold a 2 1/2 inch group at 25 yards but I'm looking to upgrade.
Old August 22, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
UncleEd

No guarantee you'll get better results with the DW.

Try to finesse the GP100, i.e. grips, loads.

In accuracy tests years ago, a Python, a Ruger and a Smith 586 were used. Results from Ransom rest were virtually the same albeit the DW
edged out the other two but by itty bitty fractions of an inch at 100 yards.

Its single action is no better than a factory issued Smith and while the double action is a bit easier, not by much.

And its limited to non-existent production might well mean you have an Albatross around your neck.
Old August 22, 2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Radny97

Well my Ruger will actually hold a 1 inch group with four of the six cylinders a one and a half inch group with five of the six cylinders and a 2 1/2 inch group with all six. Point being I have A couple of cylinders that are not perfectly aligned and I know which ones they are. Dan Wesson's selling point is the attention they give to aligning all of the cylinders. Anyone have experience with this aspect of them?
Old August 22, 2015, 09:04 PM   #6
UncleEd

What did surprise me is that the new DW has a frame akin to a Smith L or maybe even N frame. But the cylinder is K frame in dimensions and dealer told me it takes the Model 10 speedloaders.

I know the cylinder looks a bit odd in such a large gun.
Old August 23, 2015, 12:44 AM   #7
OkieCruffler

I don't own one either but if I would have had the money I would have brought the one I was looking at home. Lock up was unbelievably tight and the single action trigger was every bit as good as my vintage DW's and I'd put them up against any S&W or Ruger I've ever handled. But at that coin I'll have to be happy with my old Monsoon guns, and I am.
Old August 23, 2015, 12:49 AM   #8
745SW

I must say knowing how the chambers group in the cylinder is real attention to detail. What was Ruger's response to this issue?
Old August 23, 2015, 04:06 AM   #9
UncleEd

745SW,

Going back to the heyday of revolvers and when bullseye shooting was the
king of handgun disciplines, target shooters knew which chambers were better than others. I'm talking about the 1940s, 1950s, not now when many think quality control sucks.

Not much a company can do about it unless each and every cylinder when bored is tested and those that are a fraction off are thrown away. You can figure that's not going to happen.

Now, really, if you had such a perfect revolver, would it really make you that much better a shooter when we are talking about tiny fractions of a inch?

Heck, with the DW, are you going to be sure that each time you take apart the barrel assembly, you're going to get the cylinder gap exactly, and I mean exactly, like you had it the time before? And yes, the cylinder gap is important too.

If you asked Ruger regarding those chambers, the company would tell you the cylinder is up to specs, period.
Old August 23, 2015, 04:30 AM   #10
745SW

Appreciate the response. I figured being within spec would be a probable outcome as it is with many a production product.
Old August 23, 2015, 05:32 AM   #11
UncleEd

745SW,

Also the gun maker has no control over the bullet makers' variances in weight or quality of the balance of each round and the bullet makers might vary from lot to lot.

Knew bullseye shooter who cast his own for .45 bullseye and he weighed every bullet, getting about a third that were in spec for his gun/guns. And then he used an electronic scale for powder and was careful in brass brands, cleaning out primer pockets,etc.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:18 AM   #12
745SW

I understand the logic of using precision ammo for a precision arm and that for an autoloader it can cause reliability issues. While I'm not into precision shooting I do notice a difference when using more than one of the same exact model of pistol.
Old August 23, 2015, 07:24 AM   #13
RUT

I haven't handled the new one, but I do have a "real" one made in Monson.

Old August 23, 2015, 10:00 PM   #14
rightside

If they are incorporating the barrel nut to set the gap tolerance and secure the barrel, I think they should shoot well. I believe this system is what hade the Monson guns so accurate. I have a 6 inch that is excellent!
Old August 24, 2015, 01:24 AM   #15
Radny97

I've never called Ruger to take issue with the grouping from the different chambers. That size of group is what I should expect for a production gun. I'm just wondering if the DW can deliver better accuracy with out me spending a whole lot more money on a custom gun.
Sounds like some don't like DW and others do. Has anyone shot one side by side with a Ruger or S&W?
Old August 25, 2015, 06:19 AM   #16
saleen322

I have some experience with the revolvers discussed. I currently have 3 Dan Wessons, original Monson made, 7 Rugers, and 4 S&W. The Dan Wessons tend to be accurate IMHO in no small part because of the tensioned barrel. The new Smiths with the 2-piece barrel seem to shoot well and I think the tension is a big part of that. That said, none of the revolvers I have will shoot factory ammo as well as custom handloads worked up for the specific gun. Things as little as changing seating depth 0.025" can make a big difference on the target. Everyone of the revolvers I have will shoot under 2" @ 25 yards with the right ammo and some will be under 2" @ 50 yards. You have to get the right combination. Good luck with your search.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:29 AM   #17
Radny97

Thanks! I did not know the new S&Ws have tensioned barrels too. Can you tell any substantial accuracy difference (either practical accuracy or mechanical accuracy) between the three brands?
Old August 25, 2015, 09:19 PM   #18
saleen322

I think they all shoot well if you find the right load. As a group, the Dan Wessons do very well but the 460 Smith is just dog nuts accurate. I mean under 2" @ 100 yards accurate.

I don't know which of the new Smiths are 2-piece but you can tell by looking very closely at the muzzle. I only have 1 GP-100 Ruger and it is in 327 mag. Most of my Rugers are single action with the 44 mag, 327 mag and 10mm being very accurate. Again, I find that the key is getting a good load that the gun likes.
Old August 25, 2015, 09:44 PM   #19
Radny97

Sweet pics saleen332! Thanks for sharing! I'm not in a position to roll my own at this stage of my life but as the kids get older I'm sure I will.
Old December 2, 2015, 11:01 PM   #20
Radny97

Well I decided to take the plunge and buy a new Dan Wesson 715 today. The deciding factor for me was the attention to barrel cylinder allignment and the fact that the double action pull is substantially shorter than a ruger or smith and under 11 pounds out of the box.
I have my gp100 six inch to compare it to. I'm going to shoot both side by side with a few different loads and let you guys know what I find.
Old December 2, 2015, 11:45 PM   #21
saleen322

I think you are going to be pleased. I have Smiths and Rugers but the Dan Wessons tend to be accurate. I have 3 including this original 715 below. Good luck and enjoy!

Old December 7, 2015, 06:25 PM   #22
Smoke Jensen

I have a 15-2VH .357 mag. Will never part with it. Shoots great. Very accurate.
Old December 11, 2015, 07:10 PM   #23
Brutus

I too have been eyeballing this revolver especially since it has no Hillary lock. Been
holding off waiting for the optional barrel lengths (want an 8"). The only thing about the new model that I don't like is I wish the barrel shroud wasn't so blocky looking . A little
radiusing would make the gun more attractive in my opinion.
Old December 11, 2015, 08:15 PM   #24
Radny97

The optional barrel lengths are already available at the cz-usa shop. You just have to buy them separately. I picked mine up on Tuesday and WOW. The machining and attention to detail is amazing. I'll be doing a full review soon, together with a side by side accuracy comparison to my gp100 six inch.
As to blockiness, I had the same concerns but once I got it they went away. All the corners are chamfered nicely and the underlug is rounded on the bottom, which you can't tell in most photos. It actually looks really good.