The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2015, 09:22 AM   #1
cowboys1062

getting an aged dark grey patina look on barrel

I have a muzzleloader barrel that I want to put a dark grey aged patina look to it. I still have some old bluing that I will have to remove first. My question is how do I go about putting a dark grey aged patina look on the barrel? Does anyone have any home remedies or tricks of the trade that I could try? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:29 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

We removed our old bluing jobs with toilet bowl cleaner. The metal was left with a grey color. If we wanted to reblue it, we'd start polishing.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Nickel Plated

Distilled white vinegar that you can get at any supermarket gets rid of bluing very well. I stripped my 1858 Remington clone with it. Took about 10 minutes for the whole pistol.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Hawg

Naval Jelly will remove bluing and leave the metal gray.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:46 AM   #5
kwhi43

Here is how mine turned out.

Old April 5, 2015, 01:05 PM   #6
denster

Very nice. That is the exact look everyone is after. Well done.
Old April 5, 2015, 02:00 PM   #7
kwhi43

I used vinegar soaked paper towels and let it sit overnight. Then took 000
steel wool to blend it all in. I never oil it. Just shoot it and clean with water.
I do put WD40 in the barrel and inside the chambers. Other than that no oil
This is a old Euroarms made in 1974. I think the steel is different than whats
being used in Piettas and Uberties now days. It shoots well enough to have won
me a couple gold medals at the Nationals at at Friendship

Old April 5, 2015, 04:09 PM   #8
AKexpat

Noob Here...

I guess I can understand why some folks want to take a perfectly good blued firearm and create something akin to an "aged" gun. I just have a problem with how corrosion control is entertained.

Has anyone ever done a light/medium grey parkerized job on such a gun?

Disassemble the pistol completely, remove the nipples, plug all of the cylinder holes, plug the barrel, and just do the frame, barrel, load lever, and cylinder. I would not do any screws as park jobs remove a bit of metal.

That would be interesting as all get out, IMO!

And it would protect the steel against the elements.

Comments?

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old April 5, 2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

I "antiqued" this Pietta Shooters model over a decade ago using vinegar to remove the bluing, then put on some flintlock barrel browning solution and after baking it in the oven hand finished it with gun polish. Gave a worn look as opposed to an all bare metal look. I thought it came out really well. Only had to lightly oil it to prevent rust. No corrosion problems at all.

Old April 7, 2015, 02:51 AM   #10
cowboys1062

Achieved the look I wanted!

I took some BC's Blue remover and degreaser and took the old bluing off the barrel. Then took some 0000 steel wool and went over the barrel and got it nice and clean. I then ReBlued the barrel evening out any streaks with 0000 steel wool. I took back the dark finish until I got an even grey look. I then wiped down the barrel with an alcohol patch. I then mixed some mustard with vinegar and applied that to the barrel. I let it sit for a couple hours until it was good and dried on. I then took a washcloth and wiped the barrel down real good. It was a real dark grey in color. I then took some WD40 and soaked the barrel while using 0000 steel wool and blended and evened out the finish. The barrel now has a nice aged dark grey patina look with an even finish. Looks just the way I was hoping for. The last step was putting a light coat of gun oil on her and putting it away. I want to thank everyone for the suggestions,replies and pics. It gave me alot of options to think about and helped me with the end result. Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Old April 9, 2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Hardy

I stripped a few but I could not keep them from rusting unless oiled all the time. I finally took a sig 3rd gen 51 Navy and sent it to Taylors & co. They reblued it and looks great. I have an old cva rem 44 that I took down to raw steel--looked great/ kept rusting/ but I went ahead later and put a coat of oxpho blue and it has a blended look . Has color rainbow along frames w subtle gray and shines with a mirror finish with yellow gold color along the oct ridges. I will not sell it and I like it. What's fun with these guns is that you can have
a lot of fun personalizing them with your own artistic touch.

wbh
Old April 9, 2015, 06:40 PM   #12
kwhi43

I don't know what kind of steel my old Euroarms is made of, but it won't rust.
I have even tried when I left it in the rain . Still won't rust. I never oil it. Mebby
the steel has a high content of nickle or chrome. Anybody know??
Old April 10, 2015, 01:04 AM   #13
Shotput79

Try putting it in the ground for bout a month see if that will help you get some rust started.
Old April 10, 2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Hardy

well if k's gun doesn't rust even with rain and moisture, he has something! Merlin -probably told king arthur to keep the sword x caliber oiled hey - exposed raw steel rusts if not lubricated. Even finished steel will.