The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old August 25, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Maritime Sniping (Thompson article)

I enjoyed the article as it is still a relatively new aspect of sniping. Besides the rescue of the Maersk Alabama's skipper by Navy SEALS, the other famous incident happened on 6 Dec., 2002, when the Spanish frigate, SPS Navarra, attempted to stop the North Korean So San in the Gulf of Aden. The So San refused to stop and be boarded and the kingpost wires on the So San prevented a helicopter landing. So, the Navarra's sniper shot the wires down, allowing the boarding team to fast rope down aboard the So San. Contraband headed for Saddam Hussein was seized.
Old August 26, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Appreciate the feedback. Making precise hits from the deck of a bobbing ship at a bobbing target is amazing,
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2011, 06:30 PM   #3
kraigwy

I haven't read the article (I'd like to), but I do have a bit of experience shooting small targets from a small boat in the rolling surf.

I spent a great deal of time with the AKNG in Western Alaska as the XO of A Co, 297th Inf, which consisted of Gambell & Savooga on St Lawrence Island, and CO of C Co, 297th which consisted of the villages of Shishmaref (company Hqs), Wales, Little Diomede, Brevig Mission, and Teller.

These villages (and the NG Units) were made up of Alaskan Eskimo's who made the majority of their subsistence hunting marine animals. I had the pleasure of hunting with them on many occasions.

I was amazed at the abilities of these natives shooting from boats in rather rough water, (considering the the size of the boats and Bering Sea winds.).

I was instructed that its not really a trick, its timing. When shooting seals only the small head is exposed. Wound them they sink and are lost, miss and they disappear. Hit them in the head the die and float long enough to be retrieved. The exposed heads are about half the size of a beer can.

It was about timing. The swells rise and fall, the seals with them, as did the boat, but there is a split second when they reach the top of the swell that they stop. So an instant before the swell reaches the the top aim just above their heads, by the time you shoot the swell pauses, as does the seal and you got him.

With a tad of practice I found it wasn't that difficult of a task.

I would like to read the article to compare the differences and similarities.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
kraigwy is offline   Reply With Quote