The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 21, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
BerdanSS

1873 Springs?

Who makes the best quality replacement set of springs for the 1873? My Uberti Cattleman is in need of a mainspring but I figured heck....why not do them all? I shoot it a LOT....
Old April 21, 2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Hawg

Wolff
Old April 21, 2012, 05:01 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Are the wire bolt springs better over the flat ones in terms of reliability and longevity?
Old April 21, 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Hawg

Supposed to be but I never had a problem with the flat ones.
Old April 21, 2012, 05:33 PM   #5
BerdanSS

Thanks Hawg....going to give the wire ones a try. Ordering a shooters pack now.
Old April 21, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Hawg

I've got Wolff springs in a SAA and they are nice.
Old April 21, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Hellgate

My two Hombres went from "OK" to "BUTTER" with Wolfe springs.

When you disassemble the guns remember to take the little hand spring screw, plunger and spring out BEFORE removing the hammer. There is a little set screw on the frame just to the side of the hammer cutout that is spring loaded so be sure to catch it. Those guns do not have the usual flat leaf hand spring you are used to seeing. The parts are tiny and can be lost on a shop floor. Don't ask how I know (I now disassemble them in an empty bath tub with the drain closed).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 22, 2012, 09:47 PM   #8
BerdanSS

The only thing I'm worried about is:

"Wolff Single Action reduced power mainsprings are a unique design with the center material of the spring removed. This greatly reduces trigger pull"

How much reduction are we talking here? I mean good lord...if I didn't know any better I'd say the pull weight feels like 2.5-3 lbs and breaks like a thin glass rod. Can't say I'd really want it any lighter, I don't want a hair trigger.

I know pretty much everything on these pistols varies from gun to gun, but with the one I received I have to say I was really impressed with the trigger and action. Side by side comparison with shooting a USFA Sheriff's model...(not kidding or exaggerating here).....I couldn't tell a difference between them trigger and action wise.

If these springs slick up the action any, it's going to be an unbelievable peice for $250 can wait to put them in.
Old April 22, 2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Hawg

Mine breaks at about 2 1/2 pounds but hammer pull was reduced by about two thirds. The one thing I don't like is the hammer clicks are very soft now where they were very audible before.
Old April 23, 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Hellgate

One of my trigge/bolt springs (flat double leaf) broke after about 1000 workings of the action. A replacement from my 1860 Army parts stash fixed it. The new Wolfe springs are wire and the lighter clicks you are hearing are due to less hard snapping of the parts from the old, stronger spring.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 23, 2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Beagle333

I put the Wolff low power flat springs in my '51s and '60s, and they also soften the clicks to barely audible. It's Wolff for me! Smooooooooth operation.
Old April 23, 2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
The new Wolfe springs are wire and the lighter clicks you are hearing are due to less hard snapping of the parts from the old, stronger spring.
Yeah, I know. Still don't like it but I'll live with it for awhile, will probably go back to the original trigger/bolt spring sometime tho.
Old April 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #13
Smokin'Joe

Use the Safety Pin Mod and retain the original trigger feel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467782