The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 15, 2009, 09:05 PM   #1
ga nopro

Help! 1914 Winchester 1894 *Pics added

Help please with info on a 1914 Winchester 1894 32ws nickle steel - 20" plain barrel, magazine stops short of barrel muzzle by 5 1/4", plastic Win buttstock is not cresant. Nothing adds up for me. No saddle ring, no checkering, correct sn for 1914. What the heck do I have? Can add different pics too. Appreciate any help. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 018.jpg (36.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 004.jpg (36.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 017.jpg (33.9 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by ga nopro; October 18, 2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: add pics
Old October 15, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
RJay

Don't know, but it sounds a lot like a Lightweight rifle " 22" or 26" round barrel with half magazine,. Plain walnut straight-grip stock, with shotgun butt plate" and saddle rings were only on the carbines. If I were to take a guess with out pictures, that would be my first go. 94's were made any such way you can imagine. You could even special order any doo dahs you could think of. So far I've read nothing special, how about those pictures.
Old October 16, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Hard Ball

Post pictures please
Old October 16, 2009, 02:50 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The following is based on the assumption that the gun is a carbine, and not a rifle with a cut down barrel.

Saddle ring first. Earlier, a saddle ring was put on each carbine unless the customer wanted it left off. By 1914, Winchester put rings on carbines shipped to the western states, but not on ones destined for the east. Later, they put them on only by special order. So the absence of the ring means nothing.

The standard buttplate for carbines was steel, but with a shallower crescent than the rifle buttplate, but on special order Winchester would put on straight shotgun type hard rubber* buttplates with the Winchester trademark moulded in. Checkering of the stock was available only as a special option. (Of course, any buttplate might be a replacement, or the entire buttstock may be a replacement.)

The short magazine could also have been a special order. If it had been cut down, there should be signs of the full length magazine on the barrel. Again assuming it is a carbine, it looks like you may have a standard carbine with a few special order items; not too unusual and bringing only a slight premium in a sale.

*Hard rubber or gutta percha was a natural product, but used the same way plastic is used today. It could be moulded into various shapes and was widely used for long gun buttplates and in pistol and revolver grips. It has the disadvantage of becoming very brittle over time, so today those parts are very fragile.

Jim
Old October 16, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
30-30remchester

To expound on what Jin Keenan said abov, Winchester also produced what was called a lightweight or sporting carbine. These were standard carbine with a thinner buttstock with gutta percha buttplate and an abreviated magazine tube. Mine has the 2/3rds magazine tube and it is 6 3/4" short of the muzzle. Winchester did produce varying lengths of magazine tubes. A photo will help identify your firearm.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
DavidFagan

Not to be a__l but Gutta purcha or hard plastic? I haven't seen anything after the 1900's that was Gutta purcha on a firearm, even in the 1890's the recipe was changing although it did exhibit some of the same light effected fading and oil in the hand color changing characteristics. For example the Remington 1890 grips are not Gutta purcha but certainly act like it
Old October 18, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hard rubber remained a viable grip and buttplate material, although less and less used, until after World War I.

Steel was the primary buttplate material for many rifle and shotgun manufacturers, but hard rubber was used, especially on light recoiling guns like .22s and light shotguns.

S&W used hard rubber grips on its early hand ejectors revolvers up until at least 1910.

The earliest commercial plastics, including celluloid and Bakelite were seldom, if ever used for gun grips. Celluloid was too flexible, and bakelite was far too brittle.

Plastic didn't truly come into their own until the 1930s with the invention of nylon, and it wasn't until after the major advances brought about by World War II that plastics became durable enough to stand the pounding that a firearm could dish out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 19, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8
ga nopro

Win 1894 pics added

Some more Winchester 1894 pictures to help with identification of my rifle/carbine. Just noticed today the (screw?) hole in bottom of barrel in fromt of mag. Was the mag shortened? Was this an accepted practice, and why? What's it's value in this cond? thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 002.jpg (38.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 009.jpg (38.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg winchester 1894 015.jpg (47.9 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by ga nopro; October 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM. Reason: headingchange
Old October 19, 2009, 12:58 PM   #9
30-30remchester

You have a rifle version of an 1894 Winchester. The giveaway is the cap that holds the forearm to the barrel. Carbines used a band that went all the way around the barrel and forearm. The hole in the barrel is not original. The gun has been reblued and refinished sometime in the past. The buttplate is a "shotgun" type which is original.The barrel lenght is a little suspect also, Winchester did built 20" barreled rifles however MOST of the time they used a forearm an inch shorter than yours.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:22 PM   #10
ga nopro

win 1894

Thank you all for your input! I knew I was @ the best place for Good information. Ga Nopro-----North Ga.