The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 15, 2001, 06:01 PM   #1
John Sheridan

Building Submachine guns from kits.

I would like to build a Swedish K, South African Kommando, or a Czech Model 24 From a parts kit. I know were to get the receiver tubes. Which one would be the best one to buld? I amy getting a class 2 firearms license and a form 4 to register thr receiver tube. I will put the guns serial number on the receiver tube Will this be legal?
Old December 15, 2001, 09:40 PM   #2
Spatula

Most likely not....

If you are in the US, you have to be a Class 2 manufacturer to do so. You cannot just get a form 4 and "temperory" C-2 license to build a MG.

Or, you can do so and the BATF will give you a nice, private cage to live in for the next 10-15 years for free

Even after all the paper work, you still do not own that MG. Any MG made after May 1986 can never be indivdually own. Those C-3 dealers have two choices whenever they decide to quit the busniess: destory it or transfer it to other current C-3 dealer.

Call or go to BATF website for up-to-date info.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:22 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

The only way you can legally make one is to get licensed and make it for a law enforcement agency or for the military.
Old December 16, 2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Jake 98c/11b

I don't think that's quite right guys. If an individual gets a manufacturing license he could make whatever he wants. It would be a post 86 sample and could only be owned by a dealer but an individual who had both the manufacturing license and the dealers license should be able to keep the weapons as long as he maintained the dealers license. Wouldn't need the manufacturers license or any law enforcement or military letters. Wouldn't really be worth the hassle for a tube gun I wouldn't think. Wouldn't be a form four though, I think that is for transferable guns.
Old December 16, 2001, 12:05 PM   #5
MeekAndMild

Just curious, why would somebody want the legal red tape, the cost and the liability of becoming a class 2 manufacturer for one rifle? I could see the point if they were going to make 10,000 weapons on an already signed Army contract with the down payment paid up front, but for one single gun?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 16, 2001, 03:53 PM   #6
chetchat

To the original question - IMO of the 3 SMGs you name, the Swedish K has the best reputation and, in it's original configuration, would be the most desireable. I can't comment on the where or how of the legally approved location for the weapon's serial number.

There's really not much more paperwork for a Class 2 manufacturer than there is for a regular FFL or manufacturer - they simply have to mail or FAX in the new weapon's Form 2 registration within 24 hours of completion and maintain the appropriate paperwork for his ownership. He must also be a Title 01 FFL holder - a standard FFL. Other hoops to be jumped through involve the EPA, SSA, local zoning, etc.

A Class 2 SOT can make SMGs, suppressors, AOWs, etc. without paying a making fee. He can make as many as he wants for his R&D work. A Class 2 can also deal in NFA firearms. A Class 2 can own post samples, and import one sample NFA weapon for R&D use, with the appropriate police letter. He can transfer NFA weapons with other SOTs without paying a tax. I'm pretty sure that destructive devices (DDs) are not exempt, though.

The advantages are in the eye of the beholder, but if you want to make a MG-42 or MP-5 for your own use, it's certainly cheaper than buying a transferrable model. As with any SOT, you must prove a certain amount of legitimate business though - getting a SOT just to enhance your personal collection is frowned upon by the ATF and they'll take action.