The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 15, 2014, 12:28 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Won't cosmo left in stock help preserve it?

The cosmo was just cleaned from the metal components of both Yugo M59 SKS rifles (firing pin channels also). With an Enfield from which a bit seeps on hot days (mostly the handguard), it's nothing to wiping it off with a Kleenex.

Why not leave most of it in the wood of these SKS, in order to protect them a bit from sweat on a hot day, tiny traces of Rem Oil or Hilco when the tiny spray tubes allow unseen bits of residue to go onto undesired surfaces?
Old January 15, 2014, 06:56 AM   #2
mehavey

IF excessive amounts are left in a liquid state (i.e., hot conditions) cosmoline will gradually soften local stock areas. This can be problematic in recoil-absorbing points. (Ask me how I know).

But just normal wipedown/cleanout will be enough. (Excessive means excessive.)
Old January 15, 2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Ignition Override

Thanks.
The plan is to wait for a warm day, wrap it in paper towels (if preferred), leave it in a black plastic bag in the car's rear window and switch the heat on.
Old January 15, 2014, 12:46 PM   #4
csmsss

Is yours a solid or laminated stock? I would be much less worried about deep penetration of cosmoline into a laminated stock than I would a solid wood stock. The glue line between the plies in laminated stock will tend to act as a brake to cosmoline incursion into the deeper layers, whereas a solid stock will have no such inhibitors.
Old January 23, 2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Ignition Override

csmss: Neither is laminated, and I haven't seen any Yugo SKS as such. One of these SKS has the blackish thick grain alternating with somewhat reddish brown wood, often seen on many Yugos.
The other has wood almost identical with many Yugo Mausers (my 48A).

mehavey: I had forgotten the context of your warning about cosmo, that it is only in regard to guns remaining in hot conditions. Glad that I re-read it.
At SKSboards, there is plenty of info about cosmo removal methods on "Stickies" etc.

Maybe people just get tired of their skin being exposed to a petroleum product, or rubbed on their shirts in hot weather? There could be benefits to allowing a young lady to operate such a rifle....in very warm weather

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM.