The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 18, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1
vito

Recommendations for a reasonably secure handgun safe

I don't hunt anymore, and have no long guns of any kind. The small safe I use for most of my handguns is just large enough for what I need, but could be easily carried out by one strong guy or two normal people (it probably only weighs about 150 lbs full). I'm thinking about buying a real gun safe that is substantial enough and heavy enough to resist a burglar but not be as large as the safes I see in gun shops that are designed primarily for long guns. Any recommendations with approximate prices I would need to spend?
Old November 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
The Great Mahoo

I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations as to models or price ranges, but I would suggest being open to buying a larger safe if need be. You can always use it to store other valuables, aside from fire arms, for safe-keeping. A shelf for important documents is always welcome, not to mention other things one might have that they want to lock up.
Old November 5, 2012, 12:52 PM   #3
ka26

I'm currently shopping for a safe as well so I can tell you a little of what I've found. If you're only looking to store handguns the safe probably won't be too big & I imagine could be carried by 2 guys. Your option with that could be to get it bolted down, places around here charge $50 if you don't want to do it yourself. I'm not sure how many hanguns you'll be storing but if you have the space you could just get a long gun safe & easily fit the handguns & other valuables into. The lowest costs I've seen are the Sentry Safes & Canons, check Amazon & Acadamy.