The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2009, 09:05 AM   #1
DRice.72

Favorite way to cook venison

I know I'm jumping the gun here since I haven't killed a deer. I was wondering what is your favorite way to cook venison?
Old October 28, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2

Many

Grilling whole backstraps is good stuff. Brushed with olive oil, seasoned, grilled and cut in to medallions when finished is un-freak'in-believable.

Chickenfried served with sauteed onions......delish.

crockpot roast is.....winner winner venison dinner.

homemade meatballs and spaghetti.......ah yum.

Jeff's Burn 3 Times Black Bean Chilli is a camp favorite.

Shredded barbeque sandwiches......man, am I a good cook.

Venison veggie barley soup..........hearty stuff!

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:37 AM   #3
ninjatoth

pounded with a meat hammer,floured and fried to a crisp,then heavily salted.
Old October 28, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Marinate in italian dressing, A1 sauce and a dash of liquid smoke for a couple three days. Grill on the barB until just barely ever so slightly pinkish-brown in the middle. Viola.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:15 AM   #5
DRice.72

I realize as I sit here looking at leftover chicken, my timing for this thread couldn't have been worse!!!!! This is making me hungry!!
Old October 28, 2009, 10:17 AM   #6

Yeah, I have a turkey sandwich for lunch.....thanks pal.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old October 28, 2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Roast, crock pot, sear roast, place in crock pot, favorite spices to taste and add onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and appropriate amount of water for the load you have in the pot. Put lid on turn on and go do whatever it is you are going to do for the day. Preferably getting another deer or target shooting. Supper time is going to be wonderful.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 28, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8
goldfacade

get your frying pan super hot, dredge your tenderloin or back strap in butter. densely coat in "blackening seasoning". place in extremely hot pan (it will immediately stick). in 3 to 4 minutes it will release, flip, cook for 2 more minutes. remove from pan and let rest for 10 minutes.

this method produces A LOT of smoke, so you might want to do this outside if your grill is equipped with a burner. the venison will be roughly done "medium". serve with mashed red skin garlic potatoes, green bean almondine and fresh yeast rolls.

good eats
Old October 28, 2009, 10:34 PM   #9
StiveC2007

marinaded over night and then cooked over charcoal or seasonsed wood taste ungodly great. jesus would have broken his fast if he smelled this stuff
Old October 28, 2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Swampghost

.284 and Old Grump made me hungry.

In my younger years I hunted with a Seminole who always beat me back to camp. He'd have a pot roast done by the time that I got there. All local stuff that he'd picked up on his way back. Swamp cabbage, Arrowroot, and made some of the best food that you've ever tasted.
Old October 28, 2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Bosshoff

I plan on doing last years backstraps the same way I do skirt steak. I take fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and fresh black peppar, (a lot of all three) and put it in the small cuisinart processor along with "Lite" soy sauce. I blend this until smooth (minute or so). I then marinate the meat in a large gallon size Ziplock freezer bag in the frig. For venison, probably marinate an hour or so. Too long, and the meat will soak up too much salt from the soy sauce. Bring the meat to room temp BEFORE you cook it! (I.E. take it out of the frig., and place it on the counter for 30 minutes). I then put the Weber on high, let it get good and hot and then cook each side for 3-4 minutes with the grill closed. Before I turn them, I baste with butter. Then I baste the side that was just cooking with butter. The butter and marinate really cooks off, but leaves the flavor. Venison is lean, so fat is your friend (butter).

(I have also used fresh squeezed lime juice along with the soy sauce, for a more south of the border flavor, with pretty good results.)
Old October 28, 2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Crankylove

Cast iron skillet with a stick of butter and a sliced onion...........sometimes a little choppped garlic. Cook it over medium heat till its just barely pink in the center.
Old October 29, 2009, 01:05 AM   #13
Buzzcook

Braising the large parts, broiling the medium parts and stir frying the little parts.

Though meat pie is a good one too.
Old October 29, 2009, 01:59 AM   #14
bamaranger

Crock pot. Suitable # of deer steaks, or stew meat. Add 2 cans of mushroom soup, canned type. Enough soup to cover the meat and then some. Set it up in AM, Low. High if you start it at lunch.
Good stuff.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:10 AM   #15
Brasscatcher84

My favorite is a simple panee' (pan-frying). Cut venison into strips, go ape-**** with a meat mallet, soak in a milk and egg bath, coat w/ flour-salt-pepper mixture(I use cayenne), and fry in a medium heat oil until done. Good flavor, tender enough for grandad to eat without his dentures. I always make this when it's my turn to cook at deer camp. I serve it with a side of stewed-okra-and-tomatos over rice.

Next morning I wrap leftover pieces in a paper towel and they travel to the stand with me. It's still good cold.

This is really good for those leftover cuts of meat that aren't good any other way except ground.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:57 AM   #16
cgbills

mmmmm sounds good. I need to get a deer!!
Old October 30, 2009, 01:34 PM   #17
2DaMtns

I imagine you all are aware, but wild meat is more likely to have parasites that can be transmitted to people by eating improperly cooked meat. Therefore, eat less than well done venison and other wild game at your own risk.

That being said, I like to take the backstrap, chill it in the fridge or freezer until it is a little frozen, and slice it about 1/4" thick. Then I roll it in flour, salt, and pepper, and fry it up. It's good hot or cold, by itself, on a sandwich, or dipped in mashed potatoes and gravy. I haven't found a bad way to eat it.

I also baked a backstrap in a sauce of onions and cream of mushroom soup once, and it was very tasty as well.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:46 AM   #18
shortwave

Man! I`m enjoying this thread. Thanks DRice. Some of these recipe`s will make your tongue beat your brains out. Mine is similar to bamaranger`s. Make a small rack about 1" tall for the bottom of your crockpot that keeps meat off bottom. After putting 1" high rack in pot put about 3/4" water in pot. You can also add liquid smoke,garlic or your fav. seasonings to water but you don`t want meat touching water. Put roast on rack and let steam till roast is about 2/3rds done. Remove roast, rack and discard water. Place roast back in pot. Add an onion(or two), potatoes, carrots, two cans cream of mushroom and one can cream of celery soups. Salt and pepper to taste. Let cook till potatoes are done.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:03 AM   #19
DRice.72

Well now I have to get out there and get some venison! LOL! I HAVE to try these, they all look so good. I was reading this to my GF and she said, I thought men who hunted didn't cook, I told her that wild game is MAN cooking so its allowed!
Old October 31, 2009, 08:32 AM   #20
shortwave

Careful DRice, you may end up inheriting all the cooking.
Old October 31, 2009, 09:49 AM   #21
BIGR

Back straps are marinated in some A1 marinade then grilled just right and my wife will fight you over that stuff.

Roast and stew is cooked in the crock pot.

Once I did take some sliced ham steaks and breaded them in flower. Once browned I put all that stuff in a crock pot and cooked it till it was falling apart. It was like a country style steak and it was so good that it would make your tongue slap your eye brows....
Old October 31, 2009, 10:03 AM   #22
DRice.72

Shortwave,

I already do all the cooking!
Old October 31, 2009, 04:24 PM   #23
sc928porsche

A good venison stew cooked in the campfire and served in the evening amongst the firelight and lanterns in the company of friends is difficult to beat.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:49 PM   #24
shortwave

Quote:
Shortwave, I already do all the cooking!
At least that way you fix things the way you like em and 'the cook in the kitchen never goes hungry'.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Shorthair

2damtns, venison is no more prone to parasites or to cause harm to consumers than domesticated meat. Its leaner and healthier, I'd argue. And if you cook venison any more than medium rare you may as well drown it in ketchup too.