The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 2, 2008, 08:00 PM   #1
jimaw2

vaquero windage adj

My 45 vaquero is off to the left. Any way to adj poi other than rotating barrel? Thanks
Old October 2, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

You can bend the barrel.
Old October 2, 2008, 09:22 PM   #3
CowTowner

Quote:
You can bend the barrel.
Boo and Hiss
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 3, 2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I'm dead serious.
Old October 3, 2008, 08:03 AM   #5
cbm1948

Quote:
You can bend the barrel.
I have seen the done on ORIGINAL Remington 58 that was used in the World Muzzle loading Olympics, this was back in the 70's or early 80's. You need to get someone that knows what they are doing, but quite effective.

Clint
Old October 3, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Jim Watson

I read an article in Gun Digest about bending SAA barrels to zero.
The practicioner used a 12 ton arbor press for the job. If you had a lot of correction to make, the curvature might show, but no worse than a sight canted over at an angle.
Old October 3, 2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Harry Bonar

bend barrel

Sir;
I don't think your barrel needs bent at all.
Most right handed shooters will, yea, "flinch" to the left and most all left handed shooters will, yea, "flinch" to the right.
In a gunfight (if you are aware and agile) the very first thing I do (being right handed) is to draw and slightly move or side-step left because most bad guys cant't shoot for s---!
Have a buddy load your revolver and hand it to you with an empty cylinder under the hammer and you will find out very quickly why you're hitting to the left (or right) of the target!
Now, this might not be your trouble, and if not then something must be done. And, The las thing in the world would be to "bend" yor barrel. Checking the crown is essential - this can move you three or more inches off!
Fixed sights on a single action are (from Ruger) I think (?) are laser aligned.
Now, if indeed this is a physical problem of barrel/frame misalignment send it back to Ruger and they will repair it - this complaint you express is very common and usually is "pulling" or "flinching." I'm not demeaning your shooting ability - I flinch too if I'm not careful! Particularly with a 480 Ruger or a 454!
But there are other ways to correct this than bending a barrel. Yes, I've straightened barrels but never "bent" one to correct P.O.I.
Harry B.
Old October 3, 2008, 11:15 AM   #8
publius

This is going to make some, if not most cringe in horror. But a gunsmith who worked for a major manufacturer said this was how he did it. I have a S&W M58 that was not shooting point of aim when I bought it. I worked up my standard 41 load and went to calibrate it. damn near a one hole group at 25yds but not poa. hit the front sight with a file and got the elevation. Took a piece of leather and laid it on the edge of my wooden work bench and whacked the barrel on it . Did this several times until it was shooting point of aim. I tightly wrapped the frame with duct tape to prevent cylinder crane damage. worked great and would do it again.
Old October 3, 2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Harry Bonar

barrel

Sirs;
At Douglas barrels in Chasrleston WVa. in the rear of the shop is a "barrel strightening wheel." It is unused!
G. R. Douglas being a genius realized that barrel straightening wasn't a good way to do it - you simply bent segments to get one straight.
They have been normalizing barrels for years and barrels which show curvature are put in the scrap bin - I've seen it!
My personal opinion is that barrel straightening is a poor method of manufacture because as it heats up in firing the same strains are released!
Even Springfield Armory used to straighten barrels (old S.A.).

Steel ALWAYS releases internal strains rotationally - in a spiral. Stress relief in the furnas allows strains to be released and then you can sort barrels out accurately! The "Modern Gunsmith" by J.V. Howe explains this. This is why I think that if you "bend" your barrel, it may cause innacuracy due to strains being released.
Harry B.