The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 30, 2006, 10:37 AM   #26
Ohio Rusty

This is my first post to the list, but I can chime in on this one. In the bedroom, on the dresser next to where I sleep I have one of those rechargeable 1.5 Million candlepower spotlights. Being it is rechargeable, there is no cord so you can carry it everywhere with you in the house. Spotlight in one hand, gun in the other. This is my personal home defense light also. I'm a firm believer in using a light this powerful as it is intensely blinding, 100 times more powerful than a handheld light like a surefire. It is impossible for an intruder to even look at you while this light is in his face. In fact, they will more than likely have their back toward you, and their arm over their eyes trying to ward off the intensity. This light also helps identify friend, family member or foe being it clearly illuminates everything. It's alot like trying to look into the sun on a bright day. There is a great psychological factor on your side when using a light like this that gives you the advantage. With this extra edge it will stop a perpitrator in his tracks for a moment ..... long enough for you to either shoot, or to be able to escape since the perp is so blinded he can't see you to chase you. When things go 'bump' in the night, I want the deck stacked in my favor, and this light gives me that advantage. If the badguy has a gun, and wants to shoot at me blinded with his arm over his eyes and his back toward me, I bet I'll come out a 100% winner of that fight. And he'll leave in a body bag ...........
Ohio Rusty
Old December 30, 2006, 11:31 AM   #27
stephen426

Ohio Rusty,

That sounds like a good idea, but the light is going to seem very bright to you as well, especially if you have light colored walls. The surefires are not nearly as bright, but they are much easier to handle than a heavy spot light. Most of those things have heavy rechargable batteries in them. There are some smaller ones with trigger type on off switches which might work well. Just be sure not to blind yourself as well.
Old December 30, 2006, 12:12 PM   #28
revjen45

Having a full mag with 1 in the chamber makes me an internet commando?
Old December 30, 2006, 02:33 PM   #29
raggededge

How are you going to make an ID with his back to you and arm over his eyes?
Old December 31, 2006, 12:50 AM   #30
Ohio Rusty

The only one that lives here with me is my wife. If I hit someone with that light and it's not my wife, then they are in trouble ...big time !! You can tell by the yelling at you if it's your wife ..... I promise .....
Ohio Rusty
Old December 31, 2006, 01:04 PM   #31
revjen45

"How are you going to make an ID with his back to you and arm over his eyes?"
When you turn the body over, silly. (sorry- meant as black humor. Sarcasm off now.)
If I reach over and feel my wife in the bed, anybody else doesn't belong there. Our son doesn't live with us any more, and he knows well enough to knock. After moving I just located the 1.5m candlepower night light (aka a jacklight if you're using it to look for deer at night). Holding that at arm's length from my body should provide adequate target ID while I deploy the 9mm. Mama's watching my back with the 12 ga pump.
The only times I thought I might be facing an intruder it were scary. Not enough to cause loss of clear thought, but I was glad it was something else- and I didn't open fire randomly.
Old December 31, 2006, 04:21 PM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...have one of those rechargeable 1.5 Million candlepower spotlights.
You can actually get more light and longer run time from a much smaller package these days. Think 3-D Cell Maglite flashlight size.

Here's one such product being tested against several different spotlights rated up to 5 Million CP.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...0&postcount=68
Old January 11, 2007, 08:58 PM   #33
SpiritWalker

Quote:
So here is my question, when would you use it in home defense? If you are concealed and the BG doesn’t know where you are you wouldn’t want to use it would you? Would you want to use it if you think the BG knows where you are or you think they can see you? What are your thoughts?
I have a preplanned position where I'll wait for the cops to arrive and if I detect movement my SureFire goes on. If the person is not someone I know well and trust...

Last edited by SpiritWalker; January 11, 2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: grammer
Old January 18, 2007, 04:47 PM   #34
TCman

I have a 80? lumen shurefire and I will ruin your night vision if you get hit with it. I love it!! I highly recomend one.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:25 PM   #35
ckd

Blinding lights are a great tactic, that should be at the ready outside the home too, part of one's EDC. Subjectively, 80 lumens seems to be the minimum, LEDs blushish tint have an advantage, and the strobe effect of the Gladius is very disorienting; all probably becoming standards in defensive flashlights in the near future.

The only downside to a rechargeable is its time to recharge and of course needing a charging source; during an power outage or away from your vehicle. My lights are split between rechargables and standard size replaceables; BUF? (back up flashlight), just like having a BUG.

At 1.5 million candle power you should be able to incinerate him
Old January 21, 2007, 01:56 AM   #36
JustSteve

"Blinded by the light"

I have been hit in the eye's by a bright L.E.D. flashlight ,it wasn't a total darkness situation ,and my vision was screwed up for hours .I have read almost all of the posts on this thread and it seems to me alot of you live in pitch dark home with family members that like to skulk around in it,even at the risk of being shot .I live in a two story and there is at least one light burning on the first floor 24/7,most of the time ther is two.A couple of well placed mirrors make it easier to see activity down there before even hitting the steps.In the rooms I can't see the is enough toe breaking furniture to be tripped over in the dark,especially if you don't live here.