The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2004, 11:42 PM   #1
ds1300

Ruger M77 MkII accuracy

I am contemplating purchasing a Ruger M77 MkII in .300 Win Mag but the owners of a local gunshop said that when you purchase an m77 MKII you have a 50/50 chance of getting one with poor accuracy. They said that Ruger only has a 50 yard test range and they only guarantee 2 inch groups at 50 yards. That means 4 inches at 100 yards and 8 inches at 200 yards. If true, that isn't good enough! They also said that if you have one of the bad ones you can send it back to Ruger and they will recrown the barrel but that is all they will do. Could anyone tell me if this is true? They also said that original M77's didn't have this problem.
Old December 6, 2004, 08:16 AM   #2
Pa. hunter

I have a Ruger 77 mkII in .300 Win Mag and I love it. It didn't group well out of the box, so to speak. I found that Ruger does not free float their barrels. They leave an upward pressure point at the end of the stock. After little dremel work, it will group 3 shots at 100 yds you can cover with a nickel.
Old December 6, 2004, 09:10 AM   #3
HSMITH

The typical Ruger rifle has a very rough bore, and most of them will benefit from a little lapping. Some JB Bore Paste on a patch wrapped around a tight fitting bore brush works well. Just smooth it out a little.

I have experience with quite a few different Ruger 77's and they all shot OK at least, NONE of them were 'bad'. Typically I have seen 1.5"-2" at 100 yards out of them with ordinary factory loadings. Most have done a little better with a load they happen to like after a little experimenting.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Also look at Savage, LOTS of rifle for the money and typically quite accurate. Remington and Winchester are also good choices.
Old December 8, 2004, 06:38 PM   #4
Irishmtnmn2001

Hi, My Ruger MKII in 300 Win Mag is holding about 1 1/2 to 2 inches at 200 yards. It is the stainless version. I did find that I had to try a few different brands of factory loads before I found one it liked. I am unsure if the stainless barrel makes any difference...but like your fellow member mentioned. The groups seem to have gotten tighter through use.
Old December 8, 2004, 10:07 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's true that the Ruger test range is only 50 yards. While it is a modern range, its purpose is for proofing their firearms. I know, I've been there. That said, I've never heard that Ruger M77/22 were inaccurate. I think they make their own barrels for them too (unlike Mini-14s which are subcontracted out).