The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2002, 02:17 PM   #1
Remmy

Stevens Model 59 A .410...

My father gave this gun to me about 8 years ago, it was the first gun I owned. I still have'nt shot it too much but would like to use it more often. I was just wondering how safe it would be to shoot 2 3/4 to 3" slugs out of her...(it will take both sizes) I was also wondering about the monetary value of this gun, if anyone knows anything about them come on in. I still havent seen any bolt action .410's to this day other than this Stevens...

Thanks
Old April 14, 2002, 04:06 PM   #2
ENC

Mossberg also made bolt action .410's which is what I learned to dove hunt on.

I bought a 59A lst year for $150 it is the best in home defense...from squirrels and woodpeckers. the little devils can't leave a wooden house alone.

I was also wondering about the slugs for general fun and maybe coyotes. I think that mine has a cylinder choked barrel but I don't know for sure. I would like someone to answer if they know for sure.
Old April 14, 2002, 04:19 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No 410 expert, nor on bolt actions, but here's what I know.

First, these have little collector value.

Second, these have little value in the hunting field. The 410 is not sufficient for most bird hunting, tho it's the round of choice for some squirrel hunters.

Third, almost all 410s are full choked. Exception, designated skeet guns. This isn't that.

As for vermin,etc, anything that can be humanely taken at 25 yards(SWEG) with a roundnose, 158 gr 38 Special load at standard velocity can be taken with a 410 slug. Ballistics, I'm told, are nigh identical.

Upside? They're fun for casual plinking, bat and starling infestations, rats at the dump,etc.

These mostly are found in rather shabby shape. They are durable, reasonably reliable, and good for habituating puppies and kids to gunfire. Grocery guns they're not...

HTH...