The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2002, 10:13 AM   #1
Hook_N_Bullet

Something to keep the shells from flying out of my auto-loader?

I have a Beretta 391-A Urika. I love shooting trap with it, but am always worried about hitting the guy to my right with the ejecting shell. The short term solution has been to put my Brother on my right, therby erasing any guilty feeling when he gets hit with one . One of the regulars at the trap range told me there is some device I can add to the gun to "hold" the shell.

Anyone know of this strange and wonderful accoutrement?

"You are what you do, when it counts" The Massao
Old April 8, 2002, 11:04 AM   #2
SDC

I haven't seen one specifically for the Urika, but I've got one of these for my 1100; it's just a folded piece of thin steel that snaps over the edge of the ejection port, and over the bottom edge of the receiver. This makes the ejection port narrow enough that when the bolt comes back to eject the spent case, the rim on the case can't make it out the port. I'm sure you could make the same thing out of a short piece (3/4") of narrow plastic or rubber tubing with a slit down the side, and just slide it on or off as you need it. When the bolt locks back on an empty mag, the fired case is left protruding out the ejection port, with the rim still inside, so all you need to to is slide the case forward, then out of the receiver once the rim's clear of the block. I hope this helps.

Last edited by SDC; April 8, 2002 at 11:27 AM.
Old April 8, 2002, 11:33 AM   #3
K80Geoff

Shell Catcher

Or... ...You can use the old standby, a large rubber band around the receiver and over the ejection port.
Old April 8, 2002, 11:41 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Here's a link to one!

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/products2.html

Scroll down the page to find it!
Old April 8, 2002, 11:54 AM   #5
Coronach

IIRC Dave McC said that the rubber bands that the grocery store uses to bind Asparagus and Broccoli together works perfectly.

I'm not sure if he was partial to the asparagus or the broccoli. Try one of each and see. The stuff's good for you, anyway.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old April 8, 2002, 02:29 PM   #6
PJR

They can be ordered from here:

http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/prod02.htm
Old April 8, 2002, 06:44 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Broccoli, actually. I've given these to various folks who had no shell catchers with them and had them tell me the band works better.

Most gun clubs have the stamped metal catchers available, they sell lots of them to folks shooting next to an auto fan(G).