The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2007, 12:34 AM   #1
chemist308

new stuff, questions

Well, I got a bunch of 'new to me' reloading stuff. It came as is, many items likely not completely assembled, from someone who passed away. Most of it is Lee.
357, 38 and 45 Colt dies, one Lee Hand Press, one Lee Turret Press which doesn't turn when I lift the lever--gotta be a piece(s) needing installed (I'll post pictures later)--two brands of pistol powders, dippers, beam balances (one Hornady, one Lee) and one thing that concerns me a bit. An unlabelled plastic butterbowl with powder and a dipper.

I'm thinking based on dipper size the bowl is probably pistol powder, but how can I tell? Also, would brand matter when loading? If I do toss, I'm thinking a good water soak would work to 'deactivate' it prior to tossing--am I right here?

Also, anyone got experience with the Hand Press--how well do they work?

Well the 45 Colt dies might give me a reason to pick up 45 lever rifle instead of 357... Hmmm wonder how the 45 LC stacks up to the 357 Magnum...
Old March 28, 2007, 05:39 AM   #2
rwilson452

Well, I got a bunch of 'new to me' reloading stuff. It came as is, many items likely not completely assembled, from someone who passed away. Most of it is Lee.
357, 38 and 45 Colt dies, one Lee Hand Press, one Lee Turret Press which doesn't turn when I lift the lever--gotta be a piece(s) needing installed (I'll post pictures later)--two brands of pistol powders, dippers, beam balances (one Hornady, one Lee) and one thing that concerns me a bit. An unlabelled plastic butterbowl with powder and a dipper.

There are videos on the Lee web site they might be helpful.

A lot of people remove the auto indexer form the turret and use it more like a single stage press. you can also buy them without the auto indexer. I just means you need to rotate the turret by hand. A bit slower but not a big deal.

You didn't mention any manuals. you need a data manual. As you have Lee equipment I would suggest the Lee "Modern Reloading" book. This is a necessary item. The ABCs of reloading doesn't contain reloading data but explains the process very well. Later on you will find yourself collecting reloading manuals. I must warn you reloading is a hobby within itself and extremely addictive.

Again, dispose of the powder in the butterbowl.

Toss the powder in the butter bowl. it makes good fertilizer for flowers. yes soak it down work it in when very wet. there is no way to know for sure what powder it is it is not sfe to use. you could also flush it down the toilet

I'm thinking based on dipper size the bowl is probably pistol powder, but how can I tell? Also, would brand matter when loading? If I do toss, I'm thinking a good water soak would work to 'deactivate' it prior to tossing--am I right here?

Also, anyone got experience with the Hand Press--how well do they work?

The hand press works well it's just very very slow. I would stick with the turret press until you get more relaoding time and totally understand the process.

Well the 45 Colt dies might give me a reason to pick up 45 lever rifle instead of 357... Hmmm wonder how the 45 LC stacks up to the 357 Magnum...
Old March 28, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
FM12

Don't use the powder. Buy a reloading manual and use a powder that will fit most of the calibers you intend to load for, Unique by Aliant would be a prertty good choice for most reloaders. If in doubt, DONT! Try to find someone close to you that can help you learn the ins and outs. Welcome to a great hobby! Lots of info here, just post your questions as you need to! Usually more good and trustworthy info here than any other forum. I've been reloading for 25 years & still learn alot. FM12
Old March 28, 2007, 09:14 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I'm thinking a good water soak would work to 'deactivate' it prior to tossing--am I right here?"

Not really.

It would only be "deactivated" as long as the powder is wet. When the water evaporates, it will be just as active as before.

Modern powders are water proof.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 28, 2007, 09:25 AM   #5
benedict1

Quote:
What kind of turret press? You can go to the Lee website and identify it by looking at pictures of the various presses.

Any 'butterbowl' powder should be discarded, pronto! rwilson has given you one way to do it. Another, more expensive way, is get in touch with your trash hauling company--they have ways of disposing of hazardous materials. You will probably have to go to their location and it may, or may not, have a fee.
Old March 28, 2007, 09:55 AM   #6
ShootingNut

I'd just sprinkle it lightly all over your grass. It will be broke down by rain and in the soil harmless in no time.
Oh, tell your yard man not to throw his cigarette butts around for a while.
Old March 28, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
chemist308

Quote:
You didn't mention any manuals. you need a data manual. As you have Lee equipment I would suggest the Lee "Modern Reloading" book.
I already have that book--before I got this stuff I already also had the Lee Anniversary kit with single stage press and 308 & 357 dies. This is just an addition to my collection. I think I may need a bigger reloading bench.

The turret is a three hole press and only has the top piece--nothing that I can see that would make it turn. It came mounted on a flimsly plastic stand that I don't like. Your probably right, the autoindexer is what I'm looking for. What exactly does that look like? I think it's a metal rod that sits in the center or off to the side--this one has neither. I looked at Lee's videos of the turret press, and I think I'm going to upgrade this to a 4 hole press--would I get a new autoindexer with that? Maybe that would solve my problems.

Would the hand press be good for working up 308 loads while at the range? Could it full length size or is the effort not practical? Maybe I should get a neck sizer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turret A.jpg (3.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Turret B.jpg (3.0 KB, 10 views)
Old March 28, 2007, 10:45 AM   #8
rwilson452

You can resize your brass with the hand press. the thing you need to watch out for is loading powder and seating a bullet. it's easy to tip the hand press over and dump the powder. Keeping the bullet in place takes some effort also. a third hand would be good. I would suggest you mess with it at home until you work out a routine that works for you. I have a hand press in my bugout bag. I don't know why. there is a press at the place I will bug out to. that is unless my cousin's son ripped it off. I need to go up and see her again soon. Her farm is even more isolated than this small town I live in. I would presume the 4 hole upgrade for the turret would come with the auto indexer as the three hole indexer will not work with the 4 hole head. it's got to rotate 90 degrees not 120

Your going to need new turrets also.

You can always call and ask them.