The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 15, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Buffalo Wing

Whiteman AFB area gun ranges

Hey all,

I'm PCS'ing to Whiteman AFB this summer (July) from Colorado Springs and I'm looking for places to shoot around there. Anyone know any good ranges in the Knob Noster / Warrensburg / Sedalia area (or even Kansas City)?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Technosavant

I'm on the other side of the state, so I can't give specifics. However, the MO Dept. of Conservation has many manned and unmanned ranges throughout the state (the manned ones tend to have draconian rules, but then again, they also attract a bunch of folks who need those rules), and they're very cost effective places to shoot.

You may wish to look at missouricarry.com for some more specific information to your area; I know we have several members from over that way and they can help you out.
Old May 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Freakdaddy

Welcome to Missouri Buffalo Wing especially right in the middle of summer where our humidity will kick your butt LOL! We have a gun club in Sedalia that has a few members from Whiteman and it has quite a bit to offer. To initially become a member costs $90 then yearly renewal fees are only $40. The only other fees you encounter will be if you shoot trap or skeet and I'm not certain what that cost is per round but it's very economical. There's also an added fee if you want to be a pool member as it's optional. If you primarily shoot handguns or rifles, there are no fees involved with that. I've been a member there for probably 10 years now and thoroughly enjoy it. Here's a link to our website which gives a little bit more info and feel free to PM me if you want any more particular information and I'll help out as best as I can.

http://sedaliarodandgun.com/

I'm sure you can probably find a member at Whiteman that would take you as a guest if you want to check it out but in the event you can't, get with me and we can go shooting sometime to see if you would be interested in it.

Alan
Old May 16, 2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Baba Louie

http://www.scout.me/shooting--near--...o/date-anytime

As a kid I grew up in Independence MO. We used to go out to Knob Noster to shoot and hunt on a friends farm, but there are one or two public places in the vicinity IIRC. Check the link to see if any of the 4 listed work for ya?

There's a lot of shooters in MO. Good luck on your quest.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 16, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Buffalo Wing

Thanks a ton guys! Those look like some great resources.

Freakdaddy, I think I'll definitely be looking into Sedalia Rod and Gun Club.

Baba Louie and Technosavant, I'll be sure to check out the local public options too.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:42 AM   #6
globemaster3

Buffalo, my sympathies on leaving C-Springs. Beautiful area, even if its full of zoomies...

PM Uncle Buck on this board. He's from the area over there, and IIRC, he works near Whiteman. Might be another source of good info.

Unfortunately I'm over near Technosavant, so I'm no help.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Welcome to Missouri. Like some have mentioned, there are a few public ranges that do not have range officials at them. The closet one to the base is in Concordia (About 13 miles if I remember correctly).

I have heard good things about the Sedalia Club. Higginsville has a big out door range for the gun club members there. They do the cowboy shooting also. (At one time I had heard talk of them doing the costume shooting from the roaring 20's, but I do not know if it ever came to fruition.)

When you get here and get set up, give me a PM. I have a small range for pistols and rifles (Max 100 yards) set up. If you promise not to tell anyone what a lousy shot I am, I'll invite you up. I am 14 miles from the base.

For long distance shoots (450 - 1000 yards) there is a group around Holden Missouri. They get together at a farm out there and have fun.

Shooting supplies, depending on what you are looking for, are available at the BX, A couple of places here in Warrensburg, Sedalia, Independence has a Bass Pro and a little further is a cabelas. Outside of St. Louis and Kansas City, most of Missouri is a very gun friendly state.
Old May 17, 2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Buffalo Wing

Globemaster and Uncle Buck,

Thanks! Uncle Buck, I sent a PM your way, won't be out in the area until late July though. Looks like I am really going to enjoy Missouri! I'm looking forward to this assignment more and more.

Globemaster - I've really liked the Springs and Colorado in general, even though I am one of those zoomies
Old May 18, 2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Baba Louie

Quote:
Looks like I am really going to enjoy Missouri!
There's good things... and then there's humidity, bugs, trees, the occasional tornado or ice storm and other stuff to learn to enjoy as "good things" when compared to CO.

Few blizzards tho.

Quite a few noted firearms business' in the region and surrounding states.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 18, 2012, 01:28 PM   #10
globemaster3

Quote:
even though I am one of those zoomies
That's OK, nobody's perfect. I'll still shoot with ya!

Just make sure to finish your tour at Old Chicagos before you leave. Haven't seen one out here yet.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #11
ltc444

As a towny from Warrensburg you are in for a treat. I don't know about shooting ranges, I all ways shoot on our family's farm down by Shawnee Mound.

If you fish, you will be close to some of the greatest Bass Lakes in the world. Knob Noster State park has some world class Crapie in the old CCP lakes. In the Ozarks, about 70 miles away is some good trout fishing at Gravoy Mills. Not up to the streams in Colorado but a lot easier to access.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:53 PM   #12
echelon

I'm glad I ran into this page! I actually just PCS'd to whiteman last week, and would LOVE to get together with some people and shoot sometime.

I am also curious about how the public places, and gun club turned out.

Can't wait!
Old October 15, 2012, 12:09 PM   #13
evilleprichaun

hey im at whiteman too, i grew up in kansas city though so its nothing new to me like you. the best place for me to go shoot is out at the lake city shooting range in blue springs. its a really nice range it has a 100 yrd rifle range 50 yrd pistol range and a place shoot skeet/trap also. the people are nice and its only $3.00 an hour for a booth.
Old October 15, 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
TheNocturnus

Hey, welcome to the great state of Missouri. The range I frequent is the Bass Pro in Independence but that is a heck of a drive from WAFB. I know that there is a gun store right there on 50 highway, close to WAFB, but I cannot recall the name of it.

EDIT: Bah, just realized this is a necro thread....
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old October 15, 2012, 03:54 PM   #15
echelon

There anywhere closer that's halfway decent?

Edit: Yeah, sorry about that. I just google searched some WAFB discussion, and didnt realize how old it was

Last edited by echelon; October 15, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old October 16, 2012, 05:34 AM   #16
Uncle Buck

Necro Thread?

We may be old, but that does not mean we are dead.

Shoot me a PM or an e-mail and let see if we can get together. I have not been on much die to personal reasons (Including old age) but we still shoot pistol here at my place in the Burg.

Hwy 23 heading to Concordia has a public range, as mentioned in one of the responses. Getting close to hunting season and it'll be busy with people sighting in their rifles.

Look forward to hearing from you.

I do not know of any guns stores on 50 Hwy anywhere near Knob, some good ones in Warrensburg and Shawnee Mound.