The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2013, 09:11 PM   #1
rantingrelentlessly

new bullet designs.

Ok, I have a couple of ideas. Tell me what you think. The first idea is a bullet with spiral holes that channel air through the bullet. The air would come out of a hole in the center of the back of the bullet. This would eliminate the low pressure behind the bullet and increase range. You would have to load the projectile with a sabot or pusher plate of some kind. The second idea is for the rear of the bullet to be packed with some kind of intensly flamable material that would ignite when the round is fired. The escaping gas would fill in the low pressure zone behind the bullet in flight kind of like the first idea. Do you think either of these ideas would work or make any difference in trajectory?
Old July 26, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Farmland

Take a look at this.

http://gizmodo.com/5865769/the-compb...h-rocket-vents
Old July 26, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
rantingrelentlessly

Well shoot... I guess somebody beat me to it...

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 28, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old July 27, 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Dirty Dan

New bullet designs

If sabot rounds impart rotation to a round fired from a shotgun, to stabilize the accuracy of the round, down range,,(which it does), then, lets move the clock back two hundred years, and ask why this is not a legitimate means for long range rifle accuracy???Is the rifling really necessary. I have seen many styles of rifling, 2 groove, four groove, micro groove..I was told that the old 2 groove button rifled barrels used were more accurate than the four groove, which makes no logical sense to me..

Another design: Two spitzer rounds married, When fired the rotation of the rifling breaks the union and they both go downrange at slightly different trajectories. Two impacts, one shot!!

Okay the last one, I promise. Buckshot, nine, .30 caliber pellets, all connected by cable. When fired, maintain close proximity to each other, by the limiting cable, say 10 inch...Mass destruction on the receiving end!!Spiderweb rounds?
Old July 28, 2013, 12:15 AM   #5
SVTCobra306

It wouldn't be the Sabot rounds that impart rotation.. Sabot's are fired from a rifled barrel, the old rifled slugs were fired from a smooth bore. The old rifled slugs are absolutely no match for a Sabot fired out of a rifled barrel..

I would imagine the rifling cast into the older slugs would make some strange turbulence around the bullet in the air.. they sure make a horrific sound as they travel.
Old July 28, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
flintlock.50

Quote:
The second idea is for the rear of the bullet to be packed with some kind of intensly flamable material that would ignite when the round is fired.
They call them tracers!

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old July 28, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7
SL1

I think that shot connected by wires has been done. Against birds, the wire can break wings (and necks) with pellets that would otherwise not make lethal hits. Not clear to me what it does to drag and effective range, though.

And, of course, old warships used "chain shot" to take-out the rigging of their opponent's sailing ships and make them less manueverable during the battles.

But, you had better use some THICK shot cups to avoid barrel damage when shooting wire-linked buckshot.

SL1
Old July 28, 2013, 11:43 PM   #8
higgite

Yes, I'm sure your first idea would definitely have an effect on trajectory. It would also give a new meaning to the term "bullet holes".

I think your second idea is called a rocket.
Old July 28, 2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Channel air through the bullet... never mind the other technical issues... how exactly are you going to efficiently build pressure behind this bullet with holes in it?