The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1
sirgilligan

First time reloading on my own

First time ever reloading on my own. Setup the Rock Chucker Supreme. Resized three .30-06 cases using small base dies to shoot in a Browning BAR. Trimmed cases to proper length. Then deburred/chamferred the cases and cleaned the primer pocket.

Used:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Press
RCBS Small Base Dies
RCBS Case Trimmer
RCBS Lube Pad and Case Lube
Lyman E-Zee case gage
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool

Old July 26, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nice, but you forgot the bullet, primer and powder.
Old July 26, 2014, 07:17 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

You're starting out right, just a very small batch to check for chambering in your rifle, once that is determined good to go, add primer, powder charge according to the manual for your bullet, the bullet, and off you go for a proof test of your pudding.

As an aside, your reloading bench is far too neat. Be sure to scatter some loose brass, a few bullets, several powder jugs, and a couple of revolvers, coffee cups, a television set, and a bayonet in your work area, it really seems to help.

Seriously, I don't see your loading notebook handy. That's the little book you track your load data for your caliber in, charge, bullet, date, that kind of thing. When you come back to the bench in two weeks to run another batch it's pretty handy.
Old July 26, 2014, 08:05 PM   #4
sirgilligan

Quote:
Nice, but you forgot the bullet, primer and powder.
Dooooh!

Quote:
You're starting out right, just a very small batch to check for chambering in your rifle, once that is determined good to go, add primer, powder charge according to the manual for your bullet, the bullet, and off you go for a proof test of your pudding.

As an aside, your reloading bench is far too neat. Be sure to scatter some loose brass, a few bullets, several powder jugs, and a couple of revolvers, coffee cups, a television set, and a bayonet in your work area, it really seems to help.

Seriously, I don't see your loading notebook handy. That's the little book you track your load data for your caliber in, charge, bullet, date, that kind of thing. When you come back to the bench in two weeks to run another batch it's pretty handy.
The only thing that had me scratching my head was the die instructions saying to make sure the decapping pin only pertrudes 3/16" of an inch.
Old July 26, 2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Gene Pool

Suggestions: Have only ONE can of powder on the bench at a time...that is the one you are using. ALL others are on the shelf. Second, follow the manual. Make ZERO assumptions. Remember, you are manufacturing a controlled bomb that will detonate (explode with suddenness and violence) 6 inches in front of your nose. The key word is "controlled."

Enjoy the process. It's a blast.

Gene Pool
Old July 27, 2014, 08:54 AM   #6
sirgilligan

Quote:
Have only ONE can of powder on the bench at a time
I have heard the stories of having pistol powder out while reloading rifle cartridges or forgetting which type of powder is in the powder dropper.

Reminds me of the time many years ago when I bought a case of oil and was changing the oil in my car. I don't recall if someone was talking to me at the time or what but when I noticed that there were six empty cans on the ground I wasn't too pleased with myself.
Old July 27, 2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Bart B.

A Remington field rep (old friend, too) used his Winchester 70 based match rifle to win the 1964 NRA National High Power Championship. In the late 1980's working up loads with a new ball powder, he took some to the 600 yard line to test them for accuracy.

The first shot shattered the wood near the action, bulged the barrel, blew the extractor off the bolt, floor plate with magazine spring and follower into his left arm and that high pressure also carried brass from the ruptured case head into his face. His shooting glasses kept that stuff from going into his eyes.

After driving to medical care then home, the first thing he did was go into his reloading area to check that can of powder. Then he knew the rest of the story.

Pistol powder.

He felt worst about that championship rifle being ruined.
Old July 27, 2014, 04:44 PM   #8
pathdoc

I keep a dirt-cheap pad and pen near the reloading bench. Before I start, I decide what load I'm going to use (primer, powder, case, wad for shotshells, projectile/shot size as appropriate) and write it out, then put it somewhere it's easily seen. Only then do I get out the ingredients.

I also keep a notebook of what I did, whether there were any issues, any screwups I made (and how they were corrected, if I managed to do so), whether I worked out anything that would smooth my workflow on a later date, etc. After I've shot it, I go back and make quick notes on what the load was like to fire (extraction, primer flattening, accuracy, etc) and - if doing load workups - whether any particular load was more accurate than any of the others I tried. Then I know what NOT to do again, and I can simply mark out the successful recipe for repeating.
Old July 27, 2014, 06:54 PM   #9
sirgilligan

One thing that was not clear to me in the RCBS directions is how to adjust the protruding length of the decapping pin.

Because it wasn't clear to me I put a wrench on the nut and a screw driver in the screw driver head slot and turned it. Well, that just snapped one side of the screw driver head right off like butter. But, I am learning.

The way to adjust the decapping pin length is to take a small pair of pliers and hold the "finger" nut. The "finger" nut is below the "normal" nut. It maybe possible to hold the "finger" nut by hand, but mine was too tight. So, put the pliers on the finger nut, a wrench on the normal nut and loosen the normal nut. Then it is easy to adjust the length of the decapping pin.

Fortunately I don't think the little side of the screw driver head slot matters much. I will order a new one if it does.

I am learning, I will surely make some more mistakes besides this one.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:01 PM   #10
BOOMST1CK

My directions always says 3/16 of an inch, I start at more like 1/4 and adjust till I get reliable extraction.
Old July 27, 2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The instructions that come with reloading dies are really just approximations. Doesn't matter if you're talking about decapping pin protrusion or the infamous "quarter turn (or whatever) past contact with shellholder".

It's got nothing to do with correct or best, it's just roughly functional. It's basically expected that the reloader will understand to adjust as needed.
Old August 10, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Bart B.

It also helps to have a basic understanding of how reloading tools work. As well as what adjustment to one if them does to the component part and its relationship to the assembled round plus it's fit and function in the firearm. It can get complicated; a reasonable level of mechanical aptitude and tool use helps a lot.

Especially when the terminology used for a specific part or process isn't uniformly used and understood across the conversation participants.
Old August 10, 2014, 10:33 AM   #13
F. Guffey

multi-tasking instructions

Quote:
The only thing that had me scratching my head was the die instructions saying to make sure the decapping pin only protrudes 3/16" of an inch.
Nothing like multi-tasking instructions, The deck height of the shell holder is .125", the protruding primer punch assemble below the die is 3/16". meaning the protruding pin should be .1875, that would be adequate. With less pin protruding there is a chance the primer will not allow the case to slide out of the shell holder.

F. Guffey
Old August 12, 2014, 09:22 AM   #14
Longshot4

I have a question about just starting to reload. Did you clean your new Dies? They should function smoothly. Of course you have purchased a few reloading manuals from Powder Mfg., bullet manufacturers... You meed to take your time read and stay organized. Be safe