The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2010, 09:17 PM   #1
sixgun67

Phone Call From The ATF....

I have had a C&R license for many years.
About a month ago, I got a phone call from a guy identifying himself as ATF, saying he was conducting a 'firearms trace', asking about a rifle. He gave me the make, model, and serial number. He told me that I had purchased it on such and such a date, and named the supplier. Made sense, the supplier was one that I use.
I went to my bound book, and sure enough, it was a rifle that I had sold to a friend several years ago. The caller didn't want any other info other than the name of the man whom I'd sold it to.
Now, my friend moved away several years ago, and he called me immediately from his new address stating that someone had broken into his home while he was moving, and had stolen 3 of his guns, one of which was the rifle in question. I gave him the serial number from my bound book(he didn't have it written down), so that he could give it to the police. So, I am familiar with this gun, and assume the gun may have been recovered or God forbid, used illicitly.
Interestingly enough, the man didn't discuss ANY details at all, and did not WANT any details other than did I sell it and to whom. I would have thought that he would have wanted at the very least, my friends drivers license number and current city of residence, but he didn't. He only wanted my friend's name.
So now, here I am, no longer in contact with my friend, and confused with all kinds of thoughts in my head. Has anybody had any experience with this type of call? Since he didn't ask for seemingly pertinent info, does this sound real?
Old May 16, 2010, 01:30 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

I would guess the ATFE can get that other info pretty easily.
Hell, maybe they are returning it to him.
Old May 16, 2010, 02:06 AM   #3
Head-Space

BAFT will supply you with all sorts of THEIR ID. Names, badge numbers, phone numbers, contact information, investigation case number.

I get suspicious any time someone asks me for information on the phone. They don't get my name, address, what I'm driving or who I bank with, where my mortgage is held -- if I hold a mortgage.

"Fishing expeditions" -- I think called "phishing." Asking for information so they can hack into accounts or whatever.

The BATF agent should be able to provide you with enough information about what they're up to that you feel secure in providing the information they ask for. It sounds like they're either looking to ID a stolen gun, or have recovered a gun and want to verify ownership.
Old May 16, 2010, 06:25 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

I agree with John. It sounds like the ATF is already in contact with & working with your friend and didn't need any information from you beyond a confirmation that you sold him the rifle at some point.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Right, sounds like he was just confirming information.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Pahoo

sixgun
Sounds like you are a dealer and the reason I say this is because my FFL dealer has gotten these kinds of calls before and he too has confirmed a transaction through his system. Perhaps this is more common than you might think. I too agree that this is just confirming their information.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 16, 2010, 11:58 AM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
Pahoo: sixgun..Sounds like you are a dealer ...
He said he has his C&R, that's a license for collectors, not dealers.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 16, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
sixgun67

Thanks for the nod, there, Dogtown Tom.
Pahoo, I'm a collector of pretty much anything ex-military. I use a small portion of my purchases for swap and barter, which the rifle in discussion was used for. I really do not like to sell or get rid of any gun, I like guns too much, it seems! I think I've swapped about 8 guns in the last 10 years.
Old May 16, 2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Pahoo

Thanks Tom and Sixgun;
When I first read this, I had to look to see where you are from as your story sounded all to familiar, all from FFL dealers as oppose to C&R collectors. Might add that after the initial call, they never heard from them again.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 17, 2010, 07:39 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the man didn't discuss ANY details at all, and did not WANT any details other than did I sell it and to whom. I would have thought that he would have wanted at the very least, my friends drivers license number and current city of residence, but he didn't. He only wanted my friend's name.
If he didn't ask for more details, he probably already knew them. Once he has a confirmation from you that the gun went from you to the person who reported it stolen, he has the complete history, your supplier>you>your friend.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:32 AM   #11
sixgun67

Pahoo, pretty much the same here, I've not heard anything more on this. I'd love to get back in contact with my friend, and see if he has heard anything. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old May 18, 2010, 04:09 PM   #12
Berettaman

"KAA-LUNKK goes the telephone handset!!!

"I Didn't Vote For Him"
Old May 18, 2010, 10:02 PM   #13
KyJim

Probably nothing to worry about. However, I am always surprised at what kind of information people will give out over the pone when a caller says he or she is from XYZ office. At the very least, you should find out which branch of XYZ office the caller is from and then look up the number yourself and call back.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:46 AM   #14
sixgun67

KyJim, (not griping, just a little explaining) I don't feel that it was too much info given to a questionable person by giving out a name. Yes, I want some verification on credibility for any more info. Shoot, there are maybe 4 others within a reasonable distance of me, with the very same complete name as mine, so that I feel only a name given out, isn't a problem.

He was knowledgable, remember. He gave me my supplier's name, the date of my purchase, make/model, and serial number. The supplier's name and my date of purchase aren't on any receipt/paperwork given to my friend, or anybody. Nor is the supplier's name printed on the gun, like many are on surplus guns nowadays. Only on my original purchase receipt, stapled to the correct page in my bound book, in my safe.

It may be somehow only circumstantial evidence of his ID, but to me it is BIG circumstantial evidence.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:20 PM   #15
KyJim

Quote:
I don't feel that it was too much info given to a questionable person by giving out a name.
I probably overstated the position. I'm sure you were right and saved yourself some inconvenience.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:21 AM   #16
sixgun67

Just a little update....
I was able to get in touch with my friend yesterday and explained this to him. He has heard nothing. So, I now have questions as to whether this gun may have been used in a crime. Lord, I hope not. But, I wonder if, since he's not heard anything, that this gun now is tainted and probably would be in line for destruction. I have too much time on my hands to think, I reckon.