The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2007, 02:40 PM   #1
daYooper

.45 w/ RedDot Charge question

I'm getting ready to start loading .45 ACP and have purchased a container of RedDot powder. I'm trying to figure out what kind of bullets to use and I have noticed that Red Dot charges are not listed for all kinds of bullets. I was looking to purchase some of the Ranier plated bullets from Midway, but my Lee Reloading book does not have listings for Red Dot under the plated bullets.

Can I safely load using the specs for simple lead while using these plated bullets? It seems like it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have a good way of comparing charges between plated and jacketed for any given powder.

Also, should I consider just purchasing lead bullets? I am not terribly thrilled with that idea because I'm not real sure how my 1911 will respond to non-jacketed bullets. Is there a significant dis-advantage to lead bullets?

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm new to reloading and excited to get started, but I want to make sure I have all my info together before I do.

~Bazan
Old January 18, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
amamnn

Red dot is a pretty fast powder and is not suitable for many handgun loads. I have some that I use for smaller caliber handgun loads, but I originally bought it for shotshell reloading. It's not a powder I use much at all, having found that it has some density issues. If you want to use a good flake powder froom Alliant, Unique would be more versatile. W231 is also a good all rounds handgun powder.
Old January 18, 2007, 03:55 PM   #3
zeisloft

The only down side of lead (aside from shooting indoors) is when you try to push it fast. That said, I don’t think you will find any problems running lead through a 1911, one of mine has well in excess of 750K of lead through it. I began running lead for economy and never looked back.
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old January 18, 2007, 04:48 PM   #4
daYooper

Thanks for the tip Amamnn. But can I still use the Red Dot? Maybe I'll just go lead since there shouldn't be any negative effects and I have a load listing for that in my books.

Also, what does everyone recommend for a beginner to use to measure powder? I've got the scoop that came with my die set, but man that could be pretty inaccurate. Any other reasonably priced options?

~Bazan
Old January 18, 2007, 04:52 PM   #5
1tomcat

you should not have any problems with red dot, I use it in all my light and medium pistol cartridges, 38 45 45acp
Old January 19, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
JohnLizCas

Red Dot

I use Red Dot for 45, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 380 ACP reloads. Get manufacturer's specs from Alliant powders. John
Old January 19, 2007, 01:51 PM   #7
cloudcroft

daYooper,

OF COURSE you can use Red Dot...or Green Dot, or Blue Dot, or Unique...any of them.

I use them all, whichever I have the most of first.

-- John D.
Old January 19, 2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Poodleshooter

daYooper,
I recommend the Lee Perfect Powder Measure,or the AutoDisk measure. $20-30 at Midway,etc.
The PPM works well with flake powders. That was my first measure after the dippers.
Red Dot is just fine for handgun loads. It's slower than Bullseye,which is a fantastic handgun powder,so don't worry about it being a fast burner.