The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 23, 2011, 05:20 PM   #1
The Book

Jesse Stone

I was watching the new Jesse Stone last night and does anyone know what holster he was wearing?
Old May 23, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Ed K

I didn't see it last night but previous movies he used a Yakie slide varient and in magmnum Mexican carry
Old May 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3
GURU1911

Can't swear to this, but CROSSBREED HOLSTERS MAKES A VERSION CALLED THE "SNAP-SLIDE". THE YAQUI SLIDE WAS COL. JEFF COOPERS FAVORITE CARRY RIG FOR HIS 1911A1 PISTOL & WAS MADE BY GALCO LEATHER COMPANY

BTW: The correct spelling of the holster is: Yaqui

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"

Last edited by GURU1911; May 24, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old May 24, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
saltydog452

Credits?

Mr. Parker has died.

I couldn't read the credits at the end of the flick.

To the best of my knowledge, his last book was the Part three of the Appaloosa series. Title was 'Blue-Eyed Devil'.

Just curious if someone has taken Mr. Parker's notes and finished the tale. Anyone know? Again, I couldn't read the credits.

'Jessie Stone' is, I think, the best on screen Cop/Robber work that I have seen in quite a while. Maybe ever.

I too think it was some sort of slide with no thumb snap.

salty
Old May 24, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

There was a clear shot of it sitting on the coffee table near the end, when the Russian broke in. It was a Yaqui slide of some sort.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:46 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Tom Selleck; NRA, NBC's Las Vegas, Gunsite...

VA native Tom Selleck is on the NRA board & a strong supporter of 2A/pro gun issues.
I read a few Stone novels but I do not recall ever viewing the CBS films.
If Selleck's Stone character had a 1911a1 .45acp full size, it might be the same pistol Selleck used in the last few episodes of the popular NBC series Las Vegas.
I'd heard from sources that Tom Selleck took a few skill building classes at Jeff Cooper's program.
If I had to guess, I'd say the Jesse Stone design was from Milt Sparks, Kramer Leather or maybe Galco.

Clyde
Old May 25, 2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Kevin Rohrer

In the books, Stone carried a Chief Special (not something I'd have my life depend on). In the movies, Selleck carries a 1911 in a Yaqui Slide (Galco or Milt Sparks is my guess). I am willing to bet that the 1911 he carried in the Stone movies is the same one he carried in Magnum PI. I would.

Guru1911: Are you a Family Member?

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 25, 2011, 06:17 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Quote:
I am willing to bet that the 1911 he carried in the Stone movies is the same one he carried in Magnum PI.
I don't think you would collect on that one.
Stone's gun appears to be of Commander length with higher profile sights than GI. Magnum's gun was a full size G.M. no doubt meant to represent his old service weapon, but reportedly a .38 Super from the prop department.
Old May 25, 2011, 07:22 AM   #9
ChrisJ715

"To the best of my knowledge, his last book was the Part three of the Appaloosa series. Title was 'Blue-Eyed Devil'.

Just curious if someone has taken Mr. Parker's notes and finished the tale. Anyone know? Again, I couldn't read the credits."

Parker had one more Jesse Stone and one more Spenser that have been released after the realease of that final western. I'm not sure about his other series but another author is continuing the Jesse Stone series. As for the movies, they have a different writer and have diverged wildly both in plot and title from the novel series, though I have enjoyed them just as much as the books.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:06 AM   #10
GURU1911

TO: KEVIN

I AM A MEMBER OF THE "GUNSITE FAMILY" IN SPIRIT, THE MODERN TECHNIQUE, SKILL APPLICATION, & RECOMMENDED WEAPONRY, BUT SADLY WAS NEVER ABLE TO OFFICIALLY ATTEND A CLASS @ GUNSITE OR THUNDER RANCH.

HOWEVER, I HAVE CONSIDERED MYSELF TO BE A DEVOTED DISCIPLE OF JEFF COOPER SINCE THE MID 1970'S & HAVE SPREAD THE WORD OF HIS "GOSPEL" TO ALL PISTOLEROS WHO WERE WILLING TO LISTEN.

THANKS FOR ASKING---DVC---LONG LIVE THE 1911 PISTOL & GOD BLESS JOHN MOSES BROWNING !!!!!

MICHAEL S. WHITLOCK (aka: GURU1911)
SEALY, TEXAS

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old May 25, 2011, 11:29 AM   #11
MLeake

Spenser carried either a chief's special or a Browning HiPower, up until the last book or two in the series, when he picked up a S&W .40.

Jesse Stone normally carried a 9mm in the books, but I don't think Parker ever specified a make. Since the Stone character started out in LAPD, it would make sense he'd have stuck with an LAPD authorized type for familiarity.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:32 PM   #12
BarryLee

A little off topic, but I read somewhere that the 1911 used in the Magnum PI series was actually a 9mm. Apparently they had a hard time finding .45 blanks that would work reliably.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #13
aarondhgraham

According to www.imfdb.org,,,

Quote:
Smith & Wesson SW1911SC

As in the previous films, Paradise Police Chief Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) uses a Smith & Wesson SW1911SC throughout the movie as well as the entire Jesse Stone series. In reality, Tom Selleck is a life long shooter and a big fan of the 1911 design.
Quote:
Colt Government Model

The main handgun used by Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck) is a Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model, which is a commercial version of the U.S. Military M1911A1. This handgun is supposed to be the one he carried during his service in Vietnam and is sometimes carried in a tanker-style holster, most often seen carried inside wast band small of back, no holster. It is sometimes seen in Magnum's flashbacks to Vietnam. A former propmaster for the show has been quoted saying that the original gun was a traditional .45 ACP 1911, but was soon changed to a 9mm version because .45 ACP blanks were too hard to get on location for the show.
I couldn't find a thing about the holster Jesse Stone wears.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 25, 2011, 11:00 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Tom Magnum; cowboy boot carry; US Wings...

As a kid & a teen, I enjoyed Tom Selleck's Thomas Magnum series.
He did use a old blue steel/GI type 1911a1 during the show's long run.
I recall Magnum drawing his full size .45acp out of his cowboy boot once too in a rodeo episode. Even as a kid, I thought that was dumb & unsafe.
Selleck is about 6'04" so he could pull it off I guess.

Clyde
PS; it's off subject, but if you want to buy a Magnum PI ballcap or floral shirt see; www.USWings.com .
The Ferrari 308 comes a little extra, .
Old May 26, 2011, 10:48 AM   #15
saltydog452

Kinda off topic just a tad.

A few years ago, there was a film crew at a training facility where fire arms were part of the script.

The 1911s were big bore barrels with an internal severe rstriction near the muzzle. The gas operated the slide and ejected brass. No projectile out the muzzle, just gas.

How it was fabricated and the physics involved, I haven't the foggiest notion. Maybe like a recoilless air pistol or WW2 Recoilless rifle. Dunno.

Whoever picks up on the 'Jessie Stone' or 'Appaloosa' series, I hope they portray Mr Parker's characters as intended.

Hopefully, Mr Sellick will have a hand in the production, casting, and direction.

salty
Old May 28, 2011, 12:14 AM   #16
Kevin Rohrer

I checked Amazon and saw that the next book in the series, now w/ a new author, is due out shortly.

Split Image by Parker came out in February
Killing the Blues by Michael Brandman (Sep 13, 2011)

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 29, 2011, 09:48 AM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Kevin,

I'm another Orange hat family member. Started late (1992). At the time the Colonel was actually wearing a molded plastic "slide" pattern holster that he said he'd been trying for about three years and was just about ready to recommend.

Based on the class prep materials, I'd had the late Bruce Nelson make a holster and belt and magazine pouch set for me before my first trip to The Ranch. I was hoping a receipt for it was still in my records and documents from the classes (class materials, photos, signed "J" ladders, and a few personal letters from Jeff that I probably should have sent to John Schaefer when he put the call out, but couldn't quite bring myself to part with at the time), but its not there. I thought it might be interesting to see how prices looked against today's.

Parker completed Raymond Chandler's last manuscript, Poodle Springs, and did a seamless job. I hope whoever takes up his mantel has at least half the craftsmanship Parker did in that regard. Selleck did have production and, I think, a writing credit on this last Jesse Stone TV movie.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 29, 2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Mello2u

I have enjoyed the Jesse Stone TV movies, but have never read a Robert B. Parker novel. After reading this tread I ordered the 1st three novels in the Spencer series of novels.

I'm a Gunsite orange family member. I first attended a 250 class in the late 70s; then 4 other classes over time. I got to participate in GAS X, even made the 16 man shoot-off.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old June 2, 2011, 11:02 PM   #19
Kevin Rohrer

Gunsite Attendance Dates

API270: 1985
API260: 1987
API250: 1989 w/ 4-members of Seal Team 5

DVC

Old June 3, 2011, 02:40 AM   #20
ClydeFrog

Gunsite alumni Jesse Stone weapons?...

Is this topic about Jeff Cooper & Gunsite or what firearms the Jesse Stone character used?

I know members hop on & off but c'mon....

ClydeFrog
Old June 12, 2011, 11:26 PM   #21
RUT

>>I have enjoyed the Jesse Stone TV movies<<

But I wish he'd lay off the sauce and stop feeling sorry for himself...it's getting old! :barf: