The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Dos

Hi Viz Snap On Sight for plain barrel ??

I have a cut down plain shotgun barrel. No vent rib. I understand that the Hi Viz snap on sight mounts by pressing it over the barrel and sliding it up to the existing front sight which fits into a notch in the mount. Since I no longer have a front sight, can the snap on sight walk off the front of the barrel due to recoil? This surely would be easier to install than drilling and tapping for threaded front sight. Are they any good?
Old November 24, 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
zippy13

Dos...
You've got an unusual situation, and you may be the first to question the walk-off possibility of the snap-on sight. It may be so light that walk-off, as we've all experienced with rifle scopes, isn't a problem. How about giving it a try and reporting back. There's always the option of having a bead ramp cemented or sweated on.
Old November 24, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DOS, Or you can take the barrel to a REAL smith or REAL machinist and have them drill it with a "bottom drill" and thread it for a screw in bead...
Brent
Old November 24, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Mike U.

+1 hogdogs...

Interesting problem...

If you wanna go the bubba route, get some black Duck Tape from Lowe's and run it across the bottom of the snap-on sight.
That should anchor it. Make sure you clean all lubricant from that part of the barrel before applying the tape.
This idea is partially made in jest, but, might be a viable idea if you only shoot a few rounds at a time. You know, not enough rounds to make the barrel too hot to touch.

This is only viable if you don't really care about the looks of your shotgun.
Traditionalists and purists may bawk(!) at the idea, and rightfully so, but, it's your gun and you are the one carrying it. So, it's your decision.
Old November 24, 2008, 04:19 PM   #5
skifast

Try some carpet tape or epoxy under the snap on sight.
Old November 24, 2008, 06:38 PM   #6
Dos

Geezzz...with all the half hearted support available for this snap on thing, I guess I'll go ahead and drill&tap for a HiViz Spark II that I have sittin here. jUst thought i could slip by,,,but guess not....Thanks for the ideas....but I don't wanna do the guinea pig thing... THANKS !
Old November 24, 2008, 07:08 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

DOS, I gar-own-tee duct tape will fix it if it does "migrate" (my big word of the day) but yeah as redneck as I am I do like to spin a tap now and then and do em up right proper like...
Brent
Old November 24, 2008, 07:10 PM   #8
wnycollector

Maybe "snap" that sight on some 2 part epoxy??? Maybe something like this?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beSC2785KN7Pgl
Old November 24, 2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Dos

yeh buddy, bet that epoxy would glue it to the moon...LOL...sittin here wonderin if i should go ahead and do the drill tap thing...first time for me..didn't wanna muck it up...but i think i can do it...dam it's a small fitting using a 6-48 tap.... How critical is it that i keep it perpendicular... I mean I'm only going to get 2-3 threads through this barrel...Lok Tite for sure. !!

Here's what I'm workin' on.. '51 Ithaca 37 12 ga.

Last edited by Dos; November 24, 2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old November 24, 2008, 07:19 PM   #10
wnycollector

I cut down an old 16ga SxS that I picked up for $30 years ago. Now it dosent have a bead, I have been thinking about doing somethin similar to the high viz bead. If it makes you feel any better, I was watching a clint smith/thunder ranch video on youtube yesterday and Clint was showing off his personal 870...with an epoxied front sight
Old November 24, 2008, 07:23 PM   #11
Dos

now there's a thought..maybe just drill undersized and GLUE? Gosh I'm lazy..
Old November 24, 2008, 07:42 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

the drilling is not scary hard to do but to have it right a jig is needed so the bit enters straight and I reckon it has a way to center it as well. this is why I suggest a smith or machinist as they have the gear. A machinist would do it on a milling machine so the barrel is slaved (pre-marked center line) and on the table in a clamp it wont twist over or move.
Brent
Old November 24, 2008, 07:43 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

MAN, Them ol war horse pump guns sure are sweet! Like older woman and good booze!!!
Brent
Old November 24, 2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Dos

yeh hogdogs, I know.... I aint got the right stuff but understand the makings and how its done...in a pinch I could do it...cut me a v trough wood block to hold the barrel ( tapered , I know) then put it under my drill press so I'd be straight and all...HHH......heck probly worth a gunsmith...I'm just so darn tight don't wanna spend a dime... Ain't nuthin wrong with a bubba job coz this piece aint' gonna be on display... and it's a HD piece so wont get shot that much..I HOPE !
Old November 25, 2008, 06:23 PM   #15
Mike U.

Good looking old soldier you have there, Dos.

I've been working on my 870 a little recently. Mostly taking off the add-on crap that does nothing but add more weight to the gun. I removed the built-in sights heat shield and replaced my Hi-Viz snap-on. I altered it somewhat to fit around the front barrel clamp. After making the suggestion to you about black duct tape I decided to try it myself.
I won't be able to test it's viability until the coming weekend. Hopefully it will keep the sight from migrating. Here's a pic:

Last edited by Mike U.; November 25, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old November 25, 2008, 06:30 PM   #16
Dos

Hmmm...too bad it wouldn't fit under the clamp??..that woulda been solid.
Old November 25, 2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Mike U.

It could. I just want to see how this runs first. But, that is a very good suggestion.
I just looked at re-locating the sight and I don't think it will work.
The plastic wings on the Hi-Viz sight would have to be under the barrel clamp.
As it stands now, I trimmed off enough of the sight's wings to fit around that clamp and the clamp actually restricts the movement of the sight to a degree.
The tape is essentially keeping it from popping up during recoil. I'd trimmed off just enough of the sight to have problems with it popping off using 3" magnum shells.

Also, I trimmed up the tape and re-located the sight a little further back and replaced the first pic.

Last edited by Mike U.; November 25, 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old November 26, 2008, 11:08 AM   #18
hargroderauto

snap on hi viz sight for plain barrel

I put the high viz sights on my twin sons H&R Topper and Pardner shotguns that have a plain barrel. One is a 20 and the other is a 12. I lost the front bead on the 12. The sight has stayed on after more than 200 shots, We shoot clay pigeons regularly ( twins are 10 yrs old and they shoot better than me!)