The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 29, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1
ballinorascout

Scope for .22 target n rabbit

i am looking to buy a new scope both for rabbit and target shooting out to 100yrds i have a .22lr

What are the qualities in a scope that i need or would find useful such as:

Mil-Dot or type of reticle
BDC's
what size of objective lense
Fixed or variable mag. and at what value
illuminated reticle if so what colour and what is the diff between red/green
MOA

it will both have to be used on the range and in the field fo a fairly rouged one is needed

price wise the upper limit is €500 ($700) but if a good one is avilible cheaper it would be nice

So your advice on functions and possible a modle would be helpful

With thanks
Old March 29, 2006, 03:33 PM   #2
JR47

Your choices of use are somewhat contradictory. I doubt that you could see a rabbit in cover at 100 yards. The higher the power available, the smaller the area viewed.

That said, Leopold, Nikon, Weaver, IOR Valdolda, and Burris all offer scopes with adjustable objectives (useful at closer ranges to avoid blurring) in scopes in the 14-16 power range on the top. This will allow you to have a 2.5-4 power lower setting. The lower power is more usable at closer range, such as hunting. The 14-16 power should allow you to target shoot at the 100 yard mark with acceptable results. I'd recommend a variable just because of the different ranges that you'll be operating at. A 40 or a 44mm objective would give you a decent exit pupil diameter. The adjustasble objective would help in fine tuning your sight picture, as well.

Good luck.
Old March 29, 2006, 11:12 PM   #3
22-rimfire

I always used a 4x scope for the purpose you state. Bushnell makes an inexpensive 1" tube 3-9x scope for 22's for under $60. I like Leupolds a lot, but are more expensive. Again, for shooting targets, potentially running game, long shots on potentially running rabbits, I would go with the 4x. You are unlikely to spot a rabbit at 100 yds unless its moving. You don't need to spend a bunch of money for a reasonably good scope for a 22 rifle for general use.
Old March 30, 2006, 10:59 AM   #4
ballinorascout

thanks for the help given the terain i am shooting over a rabbit is visible out to about 150-170 yrds or more

given the use i will use it for (national comp) i can aford to spend a decent ammount of money

thanks for the help
Old April 1, 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
22-rimfire

At the ranges you speak, maybe you should consider a 22 WMR over a LR. You already have the 22 rifle or are you just planning on buying one?
Old April 3, 2006, 08:15 AM   #6
ballinorascout

ya i already have the .22lr its a mossberg 353