The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer on an AR-15 in a SHTF scenario?
Aimpoint 14 58.33%
EOTech 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10, 2008, 04:52 PM   #1
FrontSight

What's the latest & greatest favorite...Aimpoint or EOTech?

Which would you guys top off an AR-15 with for a SHTF scenario, and why?

I've got an EOTech 512 that I like alot, but have never handled the aimpoint...
Old October 11, 2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Jermtheory

Aimpoints are as tough as it gets and their battery life is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else ive seen.

I just recently went from an ML3(very good) to an H1 Micro(excellent).

5 years battery life from one little 2032...at 2/3 power(8 of 12),thats bright enough for the vast majority of conditions.There's no reason to ever turn off an Aimpoint(especially the newer models).

Incredibly small and light.

If it came in a 2 MOA(or had the option) it would be perfect(its said to be 4 MOA,but ive heard it actually measures closer to 3.5).I cant think of anything else i would change or ask from it.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
ShipWreck

I prefer the Eotech. Greater field of view, and I do not like the feeling of looking down a tube.

Also - the eotech reticle is faster to pic up, IMHO.

And, while my rifle is sighted in at 50 yards, I know where it will hit at 7-10 yards... The very bottom edge of the larger reticle. I don't have to "guess" and estimate for a closer shot.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:37 AM   #4
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
I have used single point red dots and wide circle/small dot configurations and for me the wide circle for some reason helps draw my attention to the target faster than a single dot. That and an EoTech with a 1 MOA dot compared to an aimpoint with, what, a 2-4 MOA dot? at longer ranges the dot covers too much target for me (but I am OCD that way). Also with a magnifier the dot is not as big in your field of view (again I am OCD that way). Just the $0.02 of IMHO
Old October 11, 2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Jermtheory

never understood the FOV comments...

when shooting with both eyes open and focused on the target,i dont even notice that im looking through a tube.

...especially with the Micro.

all i see is a red dot floating out in space where im targeting.

it seems to me that for the OP's intended purpose("SHTF"),that the durability and battery life of the Aimpoint would put it on top.the advantages(for some) of the EOTech are based on preference(not that theres anything wrong with that).
Old October 11, 2008, 02:17 PM   #6
hoytinak

After having been issued both and seeing many Aimpoints break over several deployments (seen a couple of EOTechs break too...but not nearly as many), I'll stick with the EOTech for when a tough, quick, red dot is needed.
Old October 11, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
ShipWreck

That is interesting... I prefer EOtechs to AImpoints, but I always see people complain about the inverse as to why they like their aimpoints. Interesting....
Old October 11, 2008, 02:53 PM   #8
hoytinak

Yeah, our guys could break anything...even seen one or two ACOGs that got knocked around enough to bend reticles. Mostly the M2 gunners getting knocked around up in the turret.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Jermtheory

Quote:
After having been issued both and seeing many Aimpoints break over several deployments (seen a couple of EOTechs break too...but not nearly as many), I'll stick with the EOTech for when a tough, quick, red dot is needed.
how many issued of each?about equal?

anything can fail...

but ive heard alot more complaints with broken EO's than Aimpoints,and ive seen Aimpoints take an absolute beating without issue.even most of your EO fans will typically concede the durability issue("they're tough enough and i like the ret better").

in regards to durability,the consensus seems to be(from what ive seen)...

ACOG,followed by Aimpoint,followed by everything else.
Old October 11, 2008, 08:54 PM   #10
IZinterrogator

Another plus for the EOTech is it will never have its scope ring loosen up and allow it to rotate in the ring to lose zero. I always brought an allen wrench to the range when I was at Hood because the Aimpoints would shoot themselves loose in a single range day.

Now I'm at a unit that doesn't even have an arms room, let alone rifles...
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old October 11, 2008, 09:00 PM   #11
Jermtheory

what kind of rings?never had a problem with the ML3(ADM mount) and never heard of that before.

sounds like a mount problem to me.

...irrelevant with the Micro anyway though.
Old October 11, 2008, 09:04 PM   #12
hoytinak

Quote:
Now that's just sad.

Quote:
how many issued of each?about equal?
Yeah it was about equal. The EOtech just seemed to take the beating of the airborne ops and rough truck rides better. As IZ stated, the Aimpoints did loosen up if you didn't put any loctite on the screws too...but that's an easy fix.
Old October 11, 2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Jermtheory

hmmm...

were they 2's or 3's?

i didnt "discover" them until after the M3's came out...dont know much about the older models.
Old October 11, 2008, 09:13 PM   #14
hoytinak

There are the M68 (Comp M2).
Old October 11, 2008, 09:22 PM   #15
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytinak
Now that's just sad.
Well, someone has to teach these staff sergeants how to do their jobs. At least I have the stuff to practice with to keep my skills up.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old October 11, 2008, 10:16 PM   #16
Jermtheory

thats a coincidence...

told the wife to pick me up a gun rag at the grocery store.she brought back the G&A Combat Arms(good girl).

they have an embed(David Fortier) story.he mentions in a section on optics the 3-7th Cav having alot of problems in the past with the M68(rheostat knobs are specifically mentioned IIRC).he talks about Aimpoints work to improve battery life and durability with the newer models.

several good AR > AK quotes as well,but thats for another thread.

ok,just one....

"Sergeant Chislom poses with an Iraqi trooper.The Iraqi troops with whom the author spoke all wanted M4 carbines and had a low opinion of their AK's.

sorry,couldnt help it.

Old October 12, 2008, 10:31 PM   #17
IZinterrogator

My unit's biggest problems after the whole slipping in the ring thing was damage to all of the knobs hanging off of the Aimpoint. Dented adjustment covers, battery compartments knocked off the threads and jammed shut, and damaged honeycombs on the KillFlash covers were most common. I personally had to use a large set of adjustable pliers to remove the battery compartment from one of the Aimpoints in my platoon. EOTechs have recessed adjustment screws and a lever-locked battery compartment, so those issues don't happen to them.