The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Harley2k

Holster Advice

I have contacted a couple for shooting ranges about handgun training. Their web sites state that you need holster, belt, & magazine pouch. I'm asking what would be a good rig for this training? I have one clip on holster and one for my kahr and do not own a mag pouch. I a'm planning on using my glock 22 for the training. Now here is my stupid question- when they refer to the gun belt is it one you wear over your everyday leather belt like a police rig or would you put it though your belt loops in place of your regular belt. I would rather ask dumb questions here then from all the know it alls I'm always running in to. Thank for any help.
Old March 4, 2005, 12:07 PM   #2
sjstill

Use what you would wear every day. Makes no sense to buy a rig for that class, and use another setup for EDC.

I wear a Wilderness CSM 1.5" belt every day and carry either a G22 or 1911 IWB with an extra mag & Streamlight Scorpion on my off side in a Fobus paddle pouch.

At work (pistol range), I use the same belt, but a regular belt holster (Blackhawk SERPA) and the same mag pouch.

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old March 4, 2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Dwight55

Sounds like Sj said what needs to be said: Just wear whatever you will wear any time you have the gun.

If you are only talking of range time, . . . a separate belt to go over your britches belt is certainly quicker on / off.

On the other hand, . . . if you plan on CCW, . . . wear the rig at the range that you will wear later.

That way you will get used to what you have, . . . or can replace it with something you like better.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 10, 2005, 11:48 PM   #4
emt118

I carry in a fobus holster on the strong side with a fobus mag.holster on the weak side both are paddle holsters I stareted out with a IWB holster and tried many till I found what works for me the thing to remember is train with what you finley decide to carry..
Old March 10, 2005, 11:59 PM   #5
XD Niner

I have an Uncle Mike's adjustable paddle holster and paddle style Fobus mag holders that work great. I use them for USPSA and they hold the gun and mags very securely even when I'm moving around. They will work great for your training. Each is about $20.

I have a Gunner's Alley 1.25" belt and a 1.5" from Rafter S that are worn as regular belts with pants or jeans respectively. Both are very nice belts and not all that expensive. If you order one, make sure to look carefully at how they measure. I would then add another inch because they seem to be on the small side even then.
Old March 13, 2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Para Bellum

regular every day belt an "Sickinger Yaqui"-Holster

That's what I wear with my Glock 19 and I do so 24/7. The holster is very concealable (very little material, as slim as possible), very quick to draw and suprisingly I can actually run and the gun doesn't move a bit out of it. I have bought 5 other holsters before and they all were not even close to this one:

Sickinger Yaqui:

maufacturer: http://www.sickinger.at/Englisch/Sites/home.htm