The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 10, 2001, 10:09 PM   #1
TGS

Has Ruger done away with the half cock? Ive a new blackhawk and while loading for the first time Ive noticed that when the loading gate is opened the hand lowers and the cylinder can rotate freely to align with the gate for loading.
there is no half cock. Is this functionally as it should. My old model "four clicker" .357 seems the way they are suppose to be and I know that the new models don't "4 click" but didnt realize they have no half cock. Is this correct?
Tom
Old January 11, 2001, 02:15 AM   #2
RiverRider

You got it Tom. There is no halfcock on the New Model Blackhawks. There's no real need for it since the loading gate lowers the bolt as you have observed. You'll also discover, if you're so inclined, that it's not real easy to get a good, light, and creep-free trigger pull on the New Model. On the plus side, you can load all six chambers and carry the New Model safely, and it's tough as nails.
Old January 11, 2001, 01:56 PM   #3
TGS

about shot my toe off ..........

Ive got an old model that I have not returned to be modified but Ive had it for so long that I just cant bear to change it. Was out back shooting one day and while reloading, when 6 were in the hole I gently (so I thought) lowered the hammer and guess what... the box of empties it was pointing at next to my foot on the ground got a hole in it fortunately it missed me by about an inch or so. Dont lowere the hammer on a live round in the old model. So I guess there is some value in theor changes. I dont like the trigger on the new one and still try to half cock once in while but it does shoot real nice.
thanks for the info,