The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2000, 11:39 AM   #1
jb26

I’m thinking about starting to load 9mm.
I have ordered a manual, but am still waiting on it.

I’m planning on Lee equipment and looking at the turret w/auto indexing or the plain ‘o’ challenger press and using the hand autoprimer. I'm not going to load tons of ammo and don't have the capital to buy more expensive equipment.

Question 1: is this the proper order (Carbide dies)
1 deprime
2 clean case (inside and out?)
3 trim & chamfer case
4 prime case
5 load powder
6 seat bullet
7 crimp bullet (factory crimp die)(separate step and die from seating bullet)
?

Question 1a: is this what I need to start?
press, carbide 3 die set, factory crimp die, powder scoop/measure, autoprime, trimmer and chamfer tools, primer pocket tool

Question 2: Do you have to trim and chamfer if you use the Factory Crimp Die? In the catalog it says no.

Question 3: If you are using the turret and it holds 3 dies, do you have to swap out a die to use the Factory crimp die?

Question 4: When measuring powder, do you do it by volume or by weight? Or powder measure scoop vs scale? Or do you use both?

Question 5: Does anyone know of a reliable recipe for a subsonic round 9mm 124 grains?

Thanks A lot. I know I am asking for a lot of info.
Old December 15, 2000, 12:35 PM   #2
Guy B. Meredith

jb26,

You will find that, unless you are involved in competition that requires the ultimate in accuracy, most handgun shooters do not bother with case trimming and chamfer or primer pocket cleaning. Usually they just leave the primer in when cleaning and proceed from there.

Most powder measurements in reloading manuals are given in weight. I have seen comments about the scoops being good with certain powders, but would feel better with a scale. The powder drops on progressive presses measure by volume, but are adjusted to the volume by weighing the powder being dropped. A simple beam scale from any of the big manufacturers is entirely satisfactory.
Old December 15, 2000, 01:13 PM   #3
jb26

So when loading powder into the cases manually, do you weigh every time for each case or what do you do when manually charging the case.

Thanks
Old December 15, 2000, 01:22 PM   #4
ZeusOne

I've been very happy with my Lee Challenger press. By all means, buy the Anniversary kit, save money and never look back . Plus, the kit comes with a powder scale - which IMHO is essential equipment.

Go to the Lee website, and see if they have any reloading books on left in the surplus section. I did, lots of good loading how-to and data for under $7 including S&H!

Carbide dies save lots of time and mess.

Don't feel like you have to apologize for buying LEE - it's good equipment and provides value for those of us (i.e. me!) who are economically challenged. Plus, the ammo you make will come out every bit as good as stuff turned out on the big $ items.
Old December 15, 2000, 02:32 PM   #5
sundog

jb26, it seems like you are just getting started in reloading. If so, it doesn't take long to get really hooked. Have fun and be safe. If not, my apologies for stating some things you may already know.

First, the turret press is just fine for loading 50 or a hundred or a couple hundred at a time. I've got two and a head for each caliber I load on the turret press. Had them for years and they work well.

Second, you mentioned loading 9mm. Make absolutely certain you have a scale to check powder charge weights. Also, make certain that you do not seat the bullet to deeply. Pressure rises very fast in the 9. That said, it is necessary to have a powder scale and caliper, so much so, that do not load without them. Maybe even buy them first or at least as part of a package. Glad to see you have or are getting a manual, which one? Read, read, read. And ask lot of questions. sundog
Old December 15, 2000, 03:38 PM   #6
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Kernel's Method....

Kernel's Method:

1. decap
2. clean
3. resize
4. trim & chamfer (if needed)
5. expand mouth
6. prime
7. add powder
8. seat bullet
9. crimp

If you buy the Lee dies they come with a scoop, loading info for all common powders, and step-by-step instructions with pictures and everything. Cleaning the inside of the case is not necessary. I started with a Lee Anniversary kit, the only thing it doesn't include is a dial caliper which is a $20-$30 must-have. For another $15 you can get Lee's handpress which is what I do 95% of my reloading with. I only use my bench press for resizing the occasional extra stubborn milsurp rifle cases (and even then I only have to do it's once, after they're fired formed in my rifle's chamber the handpress will work fine). -- Kernel
Old December 15, 2000, 04:56 PM   #7
B9mmHP

On #2 Question

You DO HAVE TO trim your case`s.

The end of the case is where the headspace is set on the 9mm,45, 380 and other auto loading pistols.If the case gets to long, from repeated reloading, you are headed for trouble.

Lee makes a trim length tool for this and it is reasonably priced and easy to use.

Old December 16, 2000, 10:32 AM   #8
Coolray

I use the Lee Deluxe pistol kit. It has the Turret press scale powder measure Etc...all you need is a set of dies. What I did when I was first starting out was find a friend that reloaded for awhile(20years) and got some hands on classes. There is a lot that the books just don't tell you. So get together with an experienced person to get the hard won tips the books just seem to leave out. and it's really nice to be able to ask at the moment you need some help and then you can really learn....I still ask this person for tips on a regular basis.....
Old December 16, 2000, 05:50 PM   #9
Guy B. Meredith

You should be able to tell that I am a confirmed revolver shooter. Don't need to worry about no stinkin' case trimming as it spaces on the rim. On top of that I am using taper crimp for copper plated bullets. When I go to roll crimp some day I suppose the brass could stetch enough to cause concern.
Old December 16, 2000, 06:56 PM   #10
Gewehr98

Good grief, how hot are you guys loading your 9mm to stretch it far enough to warrant trimming? I've NEVER had any of my 1000's of 9mm and .45 ACP brass grow in length, and I load plenty hot for my 1918 DWM Luger. In fact, the old joke was that straight-cased pistol brass was like some women, the older they got, the shorter and fatter they became...
Old December 16, 2000, 09:38 PM   #11
jim-alex

jb26:

I began with the turret and still use it regularly.
I never trim cases, I've used same cases several times.
9mm cases are everywhere, it is easier to pitch any case that measures too long (actually I've never measured a case). By the way, did I see a caliper in your list? That is "must have". Midway's is good and reasonably priced.
As far as sequence: I wash my cases in the washing machine and dry in the oven, then I load.
First die is deprimer and case-sizer,the next step is placing the primer in the little cup and setting the primer.Second die drops the powder and flares the case to receive the bullet next at the third station. I use the Lee adjustable powder measure to set the correct volume/weight. I always use a scale to determine load but after the adjustable measure is set, I just check about every 20th round or so. For 9 you really don't need the factory crimp die/separate step. The third die also taper crimps for you. Voila - you end up with a bunch of fine shooting rounds with little effort and diddling around. Check out F&M Reloading for god prices on Lee equipment. Good people.
Regards, Jim