The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

1911 loose slide

OK so I bought my Remington R1 Enhanced a week or two ago and loved it at the store. I still love it but the more I handle it the more I notice the slide. It was a slight movement from left to right on the slide. Maybe 1/64th of an inch.

I am reading mixxed reviews about loose slides. Some guys are saying its good, allows them to run dirtier, other guys are saying it affects accuracy, and not good.

The guys that say its not good say it can be sent back and get fixed. I guess they will have a tool that compresses the slide or something. I also have a really loose trigger shoe (I think what it is called). My trigger has alot of movement up and down/side to side.

With the loose slide, trigger, and my gun shoots inherently left, im about to sell it and get something different.

But, what I am curious as is, if I adjust the sight, how much does the loose slide affect the accuracy? Will I be chasing my tail? Its loose enough to where when you grab the trigger and take the mag out you can shake the gun and it will clank slide to side. I find it kind of irritating. I spend 900 dollars on this gun I expected a little better quality. I dont like rattles and thuds on a 1000 dollar gun!!

What do I do? Is it fine? I know the trigger is OK its just stupid that it wiggles my main concern is the slide movement. I dont think it should be as slack as it is. I have a 1932 Colt .38super and its slide is PERFECT with no movement. No reason this gun should have movement if that one doesnt

For the record, it probably wont matter much but here is a comparison at 25 feet.

Springfield XD 40 4" barrel, Remington 1911 5" barrel

Old February 22, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

1911 loose slide

Oh man. lol. It fine. My Colt series 70 rattles like a baby's toy and accurate and reliable as can be. So is my Colt gold cup. You're okay. Shoot it and draw your own conclusion. You're alright man.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

I think it's normal. Also depends on manufacturer. Some prefer tight fitting slide others add a little "slop"

Also just to be realistic (and no offense intended to your targets) both of those two guns are able to squeeze out MUCH better mechanical precision
Old February 22, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Keepin_Jeepin

Good news, thanks for the fast response
Old February 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Auto426

There's a lot of hoopla out there about slide to frame fit on 1911's, but the truth is that it matters little. The barrel locks up inside the slide, and the sights are on the slide. As 1911Tuner would say, the frame is just a gun mount. The tightest slide to frame fit in the world can't make up for a sloppy barrel and bushing fit.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know how those guns were fired (one hand, off a rest, etc.) or if hand held how good the shooter is. All I will say is that when I was shooting regularly if a gun of mine had shot as poorly as either of those at 25 feet, I would have traded it or relegated it to a safe queen.

Jim
Old February 22, 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Mike38

According to Kuhnhausen, the slide to frame fit accounts for 15% of mechanical accuracy. Note that total barrel fit accounts for 60% of the accuracy, so that is most important.

Rear barrel play = 20%
Bushing fit = 20%
Consistent vertical lock-up = 20%
Frame/Slide play = 15%
Headspace = 10%
Match grade barrel = 10%
Beyond reach = 5%
Old February 22, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
ripnbst

1911 loose slide

Both those guns should be able to keep all those shots within 2-4" of each other.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
polyphemus

Once the slide is in battery the barrel is locked to it,in effect there's zero play
then.That's what counts..015" play you say?How did you measure that?
Your target results could be subjective and slide to frame play is perfectly normal,didn't you notice that as part of your prior to purchase check?
Old February 22, 2013, 11:26 PM   #10
Keepin_Jeepin

James K,

I am not that good of a handgun shot yet. I have only gotten into shooting anything but a carry gun in the last few months, and it costs too much to shoot regularly.

They were both hand held, standing.

Auto426,

The barrel bushing and lockup is very tight. So tight that Remington included a special plastic wrench to break the gun down.

polyphemus,

I eyeballed it. Strictly an 'about'

ripnbst,

Guess I need to keep practicing then.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Keepin_Jeepin

Does anyone know how to adjust the rear sight on this R1? Do I just tap it with something? The screw in the top of the rear sight is for elevation... I read you unscrew that to shift for wind age but that is not true!
Old February 22, 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
lamarw

I sent my R1 back to Remington for its free first year servicing. They sent me the free shipping label, and I had the pistol back in six days delivered to my door. Mine required nothing other than the factory inspection and cleaning; although they found a loose grip bushing and replaced it.

They will also do the very same with any warranty repair for the life of the original owner. If I were you, I would call Remington and ask the questions you posted here. Request the UPS over-night shipping label and send it in.

Why jerk around with it when the turn around is so quick and free to boot? Let them make it right and pleasing to you the owner.
Old February 23, 2013, 12:43 AM   #13
BuckRub

Send it back for warranty if concerned. I'm sure it's fine. As far as shooting left, probably you.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:37 AM   #14
Adamantium

Some looseness in the slide is a good thing. I have a Dan Wesson with it's trademark tight slide to frame fit and it can never be that far away from a cleaning kit. After about 4000 rounds it is time for a new recoil spring as well. A loose trigger is strictly aesthetics as well, it doesn't effect any functioning of the gun. Even expensive 1911s will have loose triggers.

From what you wrote I think your gun is fine, you just need a little more time shooting it. I wouldn't adjust the sights until you see a tighter group forming somewhere on the target. Best of luck.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:51 AM   #15
thedudeabides

My R1E is as accurate as my Wilson (in my hands, anyway). It rattles, but had a really crappy trigger I had replaced. I have Colts that rattle like screws in a Folger's can.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:17 AM   #16
rebs

your 1911 looks like it has a better group than your XD, shooting to the left could also just be you, are you squeezing the trigger or pulling it ? Left and low is usually a sign of jerking or pulling the trigger rather than squeezing it.
I don't mean to offend you but in an honest opinion your group with your XD 40 is not a very tight group either. I think if you shoot more you will see an improvement in both guns.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Sport45

Quote:
Does anyone know how to adjust the rear sight on this R1? Do I just tap it with something? The screw in the top of the rear sight is for elevation... I read you unscrew that to shift for wind age but that is not true!
You don't need to mess with the sights yet. Wait until you're putting all the shots into a group about the size of the red dot on your target first. Then you'll be in a position to move the sights if necessary.

It won't take long, really. Not at 25 feet anyway.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:27 AM   #18
polyphemus

"The barrel bushing and lockup is very tight. So tight that Remington included a special plastic wrench to break the gun down."
The barrel OD is larger at the muzzle and fits tighter in the bushing,if you push
the slide down a bit then no wrench is needed.
Your pistol's fine,chill.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:03 AM   #19
FALPhil

Quote:
A loose trigger is strictly aesthetics as well, it doesn't effect any functioning of the gun.
While a trigger, loose or tight, effects the ignition of the cartridge, a loose trigger may affect practical accuracy by causing an inconsistent feel. In practical terms, no slop is better than slop.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:20 AM   #20
Valerko

I have a Taurus PT1911 and slide has a lot more then 1/64" of side to side movement.
That beeping said , I didn't have single malfunction in almost 3k rounds ( mostly SWC reloads ). As far as accuracy goes , it's still more accurate then me , but if I try I can put 5 rounds in black at 50' on NRA target.
Don't think there's anything wrong with your gun. I'd try to adjust a sights and practice a bit more , before selling the gun.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:57 PM   #21
Adamantium

Quote:
While a trigger, loose or tight, effects the ignition of the cartridge, a loose trigger may affect practical accuracy by causing an inconsistent feel. In practical terms, no slop is better than slop.
While you are certainly correct about effect vs affect, you are wrong on triggers. The trigger pushes the sear off the hammer, it has absolutely zero impact on ignition of the cartridge. The moment the hammer starts moving forward to trigger has completed it's job and well before ignition starts. Also a sloppy trigger is only sloppy when there is no pressure against it. When you press a finger up against it, no slop. Since we use a finger to shoot it, that becomes a moot point.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:59 AM   #22
FALPhil

Quote:
While you are certainly correct about effect vs affect, you are wrong on triggers. The trigger pushes the sear off the hammer, it has absolutely zero impact on ignition of the cartridge. The moment the hammer starts moving forward to trigger has completed it's job and well before ignition starts. Also a sloppy trigger is only sloppy when there is no pressure against it. When you press a finger up against it, no slop. Since we use a finger to shoot it, that becomes a moot point.
This is probably a personal preference thing. I work very hard at trying to feel what the trigger linkage is doing during the firing cycle. I also shoot small groups.

Last edited by FALPhil; February 24, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:11 AM   #23
DMacLeod

I wouldn't worry about the rattle in slide to frame. It is fine. I own a few 1911s and the only one with no rattle is my Les Baer.

Try shooting it using a sand bag. This will tell you if it is operator error or if you need to adjust the rear sight.

Have fun and good luck.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Keepin_Jeepin

Okay thanks sandbags here I come!
Old February 24, 2013, 03:07 PM   #25
TunnelRat

When it comes to accuracy, slide to frame fit is way down on my list of concerns.
Maintain situational awareness