The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 18, 2012, 07:29 AM   #1
mrt949

Your carry pistol & range pistol equal in quality

Some shooters praise their range pistols for quality. But carry a lesser for protection. WHY ?
Old August 18, 2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Hillbilly66

You got me...my range pistol IS my carry pistol. I practice live fire weekly and dry fire daily with my EDC, a S&W M&P 40c. I'm not sure why someone would do otherwise. I have other range/plinking guns, but my EDC receives the most attention, by far...

"A People that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both" Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Shoot more, talk less...
Old August 18, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
MLeake

+1

Whatever my carry pistol is at a given time, that's the one I practice with the most.

Lately, I find myself reverting back to CZs. I have a new SP-01 (nice, but heavy) on my belt today, and a Matt Mink P-01 will be inbound later this week. I'll alternate these at the range and at IDPA, and practice with 9mm in range and SD varieties.

To allow even more trigger time, I bought a Kadet kit, so I can practice with the carry triggers, grips, and controls while shooting .22LR.

Plus I try to practice regularly with my small, BUG type guns.

Some people like to have range specific guns, I guess; it's nice that we have options.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:22 AM   #4
carprivershooter

My carry is a range gun. When I go to the range I fire at least 50 rounds through my carry weapon. I have 2 carry guns so both get shot. I rotate between based on time of years or how i dress.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
rgrundy

I carry the best I have, a Glock.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Dragline45

Quote:
Some shooters praise their range pistols for quality. But carry a lesser for protection. WHY ?
In my mind a dedicated range pistol tends to be very accurate, usually at least a 4" barrel, often all steel vs the polymer short barreled carry guns... Guns built around accuracy tend to cost more than your average pistol on the market. At self defense ranges a $400-$500 polymer carry gun is capable of enough accuracy for it's intended use and often more. These days you don't need to pay an arm and a leg for a reliable and accurate pistol for self defense, although if you want a tack driver capable of giving you tight groups out to 50+ yards then you can easily pay a grand or more. Take into account that most self defense pistols these days are made out of polymer which costs far less to produce than steel or aluminum. To me at least, carrying a less expensive gun than what I shoot the most at the range doesn't necessarily mean that I value having fun throwing lead down range vs personal protection. As long as what I am carrying is a quality firearm than in my mind all is equal.

Also keep in mind that carry guns take much more of a beating than dedicated range guns. I don't mind so much if I get a scratch on my $400 SR9C, but if you ding or scratch up your prized $1200 1911 your gonna feel it alot more.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 18, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:40 AM   #7
johnbt

Because a Sig X-5 TAC TB, Sig P210, FNP-45 USG and 6" blue Python won't fit in my front pants pocket like a Rohrbaugh R9 will. Then there are the S&W revolvers with 8.375" barrels like the Model 17's and the 647.

But seriously, I don't consider the Rohrbaugh to be a "lesser pistol" except in size and weight.

Oh, are you asking about folks who won't carry an expensive gun because they might lose it to the evidence room if they have to use it?

John
Old August 18, 2012, 09:46 AM   #8
Sparks1957

Most of what I consider my "range pistols" (Sig P220+ P229, CZ75B) are just a bit too big for daily carry unless the day comes where I'll need to carry 24/7 due to a societal breakdown.

Then I have my "intermediate" class (CZ P-01, Bersa Thunder 9mm and .45) that are small enough to carry if I need to, but are lots of fun at the range because they still comfortable to shoot and plenty accurate.

Then there's the "carry gun" (Kel-Tec P-11, Bersa Thunder .380, Kahr CW9, CZ 83) ... small, concealable, some you don't want to shoot a lot before the recoil gets to you.

It's not so much an issue of quality, but more a matter of function
Old August 18, 2012, 10:20 AM   #9
g.willikers

No reason that the less expensive and smaller carry gun can't accompany the "good ones" to the range.
About the same as taking long guns and handguns to the range, together.
Old August 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

I guess some people conceal their reliable, life saving handguns while wanting to display their status symbols at the range. While I don't have any "status symbol" handguns all of mine get range time. From cheap Hi-Points, and Rough Riders to my nicer Colts, Rugers, and S&W's. With several milsurp C&R's thrown in for the ride.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But does the quality of fit and finish really equate to better reliability for a CCW firearm. My personal opinion is no. There is no stylish beauty in my Elsie Pea, Kahr CM9, Springer XD40 SC, but I have complete confidence in any of them for SD.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 18, 2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Sparks1957

Quote:
But does the quality of fit and finish really equate to better reliability for a CCW firearm? My personal opinion is no
Totally agree with you on that... I think some folks are more interested in status symbols than functionality.
Old August 18, 2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Lucky 7

With Hillbilly and others on this...

On the range or on my hip, it's always the same gun. While I have a steady (albeit small) rotation of CCW firearms, I shoot what I carry. Whenever I change my carry gun, I "proof" and FamFire it with at least 200 rounds before it guns in the holster to check for function and familiarize myself with the POA/POI, trigger, controls, etc. of that particular firearm. Shooting drills involving 100-200rds from the holster or low-ready every month keeps one sharp as well.

Small, compact "always" guns like my S&W 438 tend to go every time and get at least 50-100rds per session.

Looking at the amount of rounds mentioned above, it may seem like a lot, as well as out of the reach for some people's budgets, reloading is a heck of a way to off-set the cost of ammunition and is an enjoyable hobby to shooting enthusiasts.

A viable alternative for some may be to get a .22 conversion kit or a .22 version of your firearm, such as the LCR357 and LCR22. Cheap practice with the .22 then run a box or 3 of carry loads through your carry gun.

Just my two cents and some food for thought.

Regards,
Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old August 18, 2012, 12:03 PM   #14
j3ffr0

My carry gun is an LCP. HD/Range/trail is 4" SP101 and range only is Mark 3 target. I practice with all three each time I go to the range, and I enjoy all three. Why do I carry the lesser gun? It's what I can carry... The same reason most folks don't carry a giant hand cannon.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:14 PM   #15
L_Killkenny

Quality is different from looking pretty. You won't see too many $5,000 over unders in the field like you will a the trap range but that doesn't mean that the less expensive gun that shooter does take in the field is junk either. So just cause someone doesn't carry their prized decked out 1911 and instead carries an old surplus CZ doesn't mean that gun is a bad choice.

There are other reasons for owning guns than SD.
Old August 18, 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
357 Python

What is a range pistol? All of my handguns are carry guns. I have carried each at one time or other, in uniform or out.
Old August 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Webleymkv

"Quality" is a pretty vague term. Most people would consider a Hammerli target pistol to be an extremely high quality firearm, but few would consider using one for a CCW weapon because it isn't practical, and was never intended, to be used for that purpose. Likewise, depending on ones definition of "quality", many people would not consider a Ruger P95 to be of the same quality as a Hammerli, but most would agree that it's a far better CCW.
Old August 18, 2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Pat T

Quote:
Totally agree with you on that... I think some folks are more interested in status symbols than functionality.
It may be less egotistical than that -- some folks just like to have NICE STUFF!! No crime or foul in that.

Now just suppose a for instance -- God forbid you actually have to use your carry gun for it's intended purpose. It will be removed from you and locked up as evidence, possibly for years. You want to have your grandad's Gold Cup National Match Series 70 bouncing around a police evidence locker with no care (and maybe NEVER get it back)? Or just carry a polymer gun for $450 that you don't mind replacing?

On the other hand that NM makes a really fine range day to take out and shoot.

FWIW
Old August 18, 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Sparks1957

Quote:
some folks just like to have NICE STUFF!! No crime or foul in that
Absolutely true... I like my Sigs and other top-shelf guns as much as anyone. The original post seemed to be asking why others would choose something more "inferior" (my phrasing) as a carry gun.

There are practical reasons for sure, like you point out. I also don't worry if they get scratched up. Prettiness is not an indicator of reliability, and every gun I carry needs to prove itself first in that regard.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:48 PM   #20
orionengnr

as MLeake said...

Whatever I am carrying is what I take to the range. I don't own "safe queens". If I don't carry it and/or shoot it regularly, it gets sold.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:01 PM   #21
igousigloo

I have handguns for a lot of different purposes, if I am shooting bowling pins I use one handgun, or bullseye another. Defensive pistol practice another, all range guns. An instructor I had, once told me to pick the pistol with the longest and hardest pull and learn to shoot that one good. The rest would be easy.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:22 PM   #22
jfrey

I don't consider my carry guns to lesser quality than my range guns, just less expensive.
Old August 18, 2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Stephanie B

Well, I have a 6" S&W Model 19 that is not only easy on the eyes, it is accurate enough that it makes me look as though I might know what I'm doing with a handgun. On the other hand, I have a 2" Taurus 605 that might be accurate, but I can shoot it not much better than "minute of thug".

I guess if I got a "Dirty Harriet" shoulder holster and a loose jacket, that I could carry the Model 19 concealed....
Old August 18, 2012, 08:53 PM   #24
Misssissippi Dave

Guns used in self defense are often taken by authorities until a legal ruling is made. These guns often receive less than loving care until they are returned. I should have said, if returned. Cost conscience people might consider this and and carry a serviceable weapon that they are not going to loose sleep over never seeing it again or at least the same condition if it was ever needed in a self defense situation. This is the best reason to not carry the weapon you care the most for. Those special weapons I reserve for the range. I don't have any pistol that doesn't get shot on a regular basis.
Old August 18, 2012, 09:02 PM   #25
m&p45acp10+1

I do not carry my favorite range handgun. I shoot it a lot, though it stays put away. Well I would carry it, but the problem is I live in Central Texas, and well it is summer. I do not want to dress around carrying a 6.5 inch Ruger New Model Black Hawk in .41 Mag with 210 grain JHP that chronograph at 1425 FPS. It is too hot, and well concealing on my body while it would be doable I chose not to. I will stick with my pocket gun, and sub compact semi auto. Though I do open carry it in the woods in hog country.

My carry guns get fired on every trip to the range. As do quite a few of my guns.