The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2010, 07:43 PM   #51
zombieslayer

My favorite fullsize poly gun is my P99 in .40. I've shot M&P's and don't have a problem with them, I'm just not that crazy about them. To me, the P99 has the best factory trigger of any striker-fired pistol in mass production. My next polymer gun will likely be a 99c.
Old November 22, 2010, 08:11 PM   #52
DAdams

Here is

Not so much a discussion of the caliber but more the ergonomics and performance. Before the review though....

I looked and felt them all, Sig, HK, M&P, CZ, M&P, XD and the Walther P99. I even waited 18 months and evaluated them all over again. I really like the features of the P99 with the AS trigger. I also like DA/SA and a decocker.

Here are its strong suits....

where the P99 shines for many is not in it's design as related to function (though the trigger is damn nifty), it's in the ergonomic and visual elements of the gun. The grip design alone is a marvel, and after you hold this gun, it should come as no surprise that Walther contracted Morini, the maker of some of the best target and competition grips that can be made (which, of course means that they find themselves in the hands of some of the best shooters in the world).

There is nothing I found that fit me like a glove and weighed only 21 ounces.

A great and enduring review:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/914...99-review.html

SW99 and P99 magazines are interchangable and can be had on CDNN.
Old November 22, 2010, 10:06 PM   #53
Jbb6811

well i have two M&Ps. i love them both. they are very easy to field strip and clean. it has a lever inside you can use a ink pen and pull it down or simply pull the trigger and the slide will come right off. the M&P has three interchanging grips sm,med,large. it has a slide release on both side as well as thumb safety(optional). you can change the mag release to either side( a + for leftys) i have had no failures to eject in either gun.only failures to feed which came from cheap winchester ammo(even tried them in a glock to the same effect ftf)
after you purchase you could buy a 357sig barrel($70 midway usa) and shoot two calibers in the same gun.

on the other hand i have a walther p22 and it fits my hand so good. if the p99 is built the same i think i would enjoy it also.

i just think the M&P is more customize able
Old November 23, 2010, 03:20 AM   #54
106RR

I am certainly not an expert on these guns but I took a couple of classes from Louis Awerbuck at Yavapai Firearms Academy. Two cops from a city PD in Silicon Valley used SW99s and had repeated failures. One of them blew the extractor out of his gun with factory loads. Both SW99s went down during the class. They said there were many problems with the guns. I don't know if it was only the 40s or a design issue. That was my only experience with the SW99.
I have seen a few (9MM) Walther 99s at the San Leandro Saturday Night Steel Shoot and they ran fine.
Old November 23, 2010, 03:56 AM   #55
HorseSoldier

Arise dead thread, arise and walk!

When it's three or four years old, isn't it easier to just start a new one?
Old November 23, 2010, 07:47 PM   #56
DAdams

Yes but then you wouldn't get the historical flavor or time line development.