The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2002, 11:42 AM   #1
SquirrelNuts

How much of a difference...

does your brass make for non-match ammo. I have collected a bunch of .30-06 from the range in good shape that I want to reload with FMJ for punching paper. If I use the same bullet, powder and primer, just in different brass, how big of a difference will it make?

None of the brass is LC (I know about reducing powder in LC .30-06). It is a mix of RP, WW, Federal and one other (not Norma).

I always see the brass type in recipes, but does different (non-military) brass make all that much difference?

-SquirrelNuts
Old December 2, 2002, 12:46 PM   #2
BigG

It may not make much of a difference given the limits of your rifle or marksmanship ability but the different lots of brass vary in capacity, hardness, bullet seating feel, etc.

I found it good to sort my brass by maker and load it as lots. That way you can find out if one is better than the other or worse as the case may be.
Some rifles will like one combination and hate another.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC