The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 20, 2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Red Dog

How do you feel when you CC?

I'm new to CC but I got to say I was nervous and felt like everyone knew I was carrying. I actually went to the vehicle and took it off.

Last edited by Red Dog; August 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:58 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

You'll get over it,,,

I felt like I had a neon sign on my forehead,,,
"Packing Heat" was flashing in big green letters.

After a while you get used to it.

Aarond

P.S. You should probably put this post in the General Handgun or Tactics and Training forum before this one gets closed by the moderators.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 20, 2011, 08:00 PM   #3
TCL

That's normal. You get used to it. Keep doing it and pretty soon you won't even think about it, except that you'll feel naked without it.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:12 PM   #4
rangerryda

I carry on the job all the time so I'm used to it. Just don't let it go to your head if a sketchy situation comes along. Only do what you would do if you didn't have a gun unless a deadly threat occurs. A cell phone with 911 is nearly as effective!

I can understand your thought process though. I felt weird when I first started carrying for my job.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5
insaneranger

Don't worry about it. We all went through the carry jitters. I'm a fairly new HCP holder & still getting used to double checking the places I go into for "gun buster" signs. As long as it's legal for you to CC, it shouldn't matter if a few people notice you have it.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
KyJim

Quote:
How do you feel when you CC?
A little lopsided.

Seriously, you get used to it. It's when I don't carry that I now feel strange.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Muddflap

I think I feel the same.
Let me check with my wife, and Ill get back to you.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:09 PM   #8
orionengnr

How do you feel when you don't?

Yep, feels downright odd to be unarmed. I avoid it.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Jason_G

I honestly don't remember ever feeling self conscious about it or anything. But it's been a while since I started carrying. I do feel naked without it though, I can tell you that.

The only thing that makes me uncomfortable when I carry is when I'm in social situations where folks get "huggy". Birthdays, family gatherings, etc. My immediate family all know I carry, no big deal, but some of my wife's family (not all of them are "gun folks") don't know I do, and I'd hate for someone to hug me and get the butt of a 1911. I try to avoid the hugs.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 20, 2011, 09:26 PM   #10
egor20

Quote:
A little lopsided.
A mag holder on the other side works wonders

Red Dog, Google the Walmart CCW Walk, we all end up doing it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand

Last edited by egor20; August 20, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:03 PM   #11
CDW4ME

I feel safe.
Old August 20, 2011, 10:22 PM   #12
TheNocturnus

I started carrying in april this year and I know how you felt. I also felt like I was always printing and that everyone knew I was packing. After a while I just got used to it. As soon as I get out of the shower and get dressed, I have a routine of putting my guns on even If I'm not leaving the house.

Hell, I'm sitting at my computer desk and I have my Glock 22 and my Armscor .38 special on me. You will get used to it and eventually feel naked without it/them.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 20, 2011, 10:23 PM   #13
CWKahrFan

This, too, shall pass...

As I remember, it helped me to run various "what if" scenarios through my mind during alone quiet time. If my mind has familiarized itself beforehand with what concealed carry is and how it might affect my actions, any nervousness is greatly reduced... It's sort of like making sure I memorize my lines REALLY good if I'm acting in a play... That's the main thing and everything else just flows pretty easily... Like, I'm not going to be WAY surprised by anything. Of course, each possible SD situation is unique but they all have some basic themes. If I know those basic themes... no worries.
Reading books and articles about carrying didn't hurt me either.

I, too, feel MUCH MORE RELAXED carrying than not carrying.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; August 21, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:00 PM   #14
azyogi

OC has allways been legal in AZ so that's how I carried for 35 years. When CC without permit passed a year ago I started wearing XL shirts untucked. Still feels 'wrong' to be hiding it, as that used to be a crime. I still pause at mirrors to see if I am printing. Did start carreing my wallet weak side so as to not flash everytime I paid for something.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:04 PM   #15
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Did start carreing my wallet weak side so as to not flash everytime I paid for something.
LOL! Me too. Plus it was hard to retrieve with a gun over it.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old August 21, 2011, 12:44 AM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...went to the vehicle and took it off..." You have the training. Do you practice with your carry ammo? Builds self-confidence.
Old August 21, 2011, 01:12 AM   #17
TopherC

I always worry that I am printing, and that some cop or security guard is going to see the outline and hassle me about it.

I also feel like I'm a lot more capable to handle what comes my way, be it bear or thug. Feels good.

- Chris
Old August 21, 2011, 01:17 AM   #18
irish52084

Like most everybody else here, I had the feeling that I was printing all the time and people knew I was carrying. I started to open carry and realized most people didn't notice my open carried pistol, so why would they notice a concealed one? It gets more comfortable and eventually you feel odd without your pistol.
Old August 21, 2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Kimbertron

I started concealed carrying in a state where open carry is legal so maybe because of that i was less stressed about it. I did feel a bit odd at first though now its just part of my wardrobe .
Old August 21, 2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I actually went to the vehicle an took it off.
It's actually normal to feel that way at first. It quickly passes however. The more you carry, the more you'll see that no even will give you a second look.
Old August 21, 2011, 07:13 AM   #21
10Ringmagic

I too felt like everybody knew I was carrying, It passes.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:10 AM   #22
Darmok

I felt very self-conscious when I first started carrying. One of the first public places I went while carrying was to the DMV, where the place was packed with hundreds of people, and I felt like every eye was on me when I walked through the door. I kept tugging on my shirt tail every few minutes to make sure it wasn't hanging up on my gun--I probably looked rather suspicious doing that!

I can relate to Jason and the hugging thing. I don't carry whenever I go to a family gathering, because I know that somebody will end up squeezing me right on top of my gun.

To this day nobody in my family knows that I carry, even though I work with them, and therefore see them every day in the office. I wonder if they're curious why I always straighten my shirt tail every time I get out of my chair.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:25 AM   #23
BGutzman

You will be amazed how un-observant people are... I know people who simply pull a tight tee shirt over the carry weapon and they have a nice size lump quite visible and yet no one seems to ask anything....
Old August 21, 2011, 08:29 AM   #24
dahermit

I carry in my right-side, front pocket. I do not feel anything...I am unaware that it is there and neither is anyone else.
Old August 21, 2011, 08:33 AM   #25
hivoltagefx4

My problem is that I work for the school system here in my area, therefore I can even have my CC gun in my car on school property. Therefore, I only really get to carry on weekends. Not to crazy about that, but that's life. Makes it hard to ever get used to carrying.