The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1
ob_1jr

Primer Differences

I was getting ready to load some bullets for my dad and noticed that all three reloading manuals that I have list 3 different primers to use with the 300 win mag. I also noticed that some starting loads were almost the same as some max loads in the other books. I am assuming that since some primers burn hotter and ignite more powder at one time. I did go with the primers that the barnes book referenced since I didn't know the answer and my dad was leaving this morning. Anyway, this is what each of the books showed. (I was loading the barnes 168 XLCs with IMR-4831)

Barnes book listed they used Federal GM210M primers and 73.0-78.0 grains.
Nosler book listed they used Federal 215 primers and 70.0-74.0 grains.
Hornady book listed they used Winchester WLRM primers and 64.9-78.0 grains.

I understand that the 210M primers are just large rifle primers and 215s and WLRM are magnum primers. Why would there be such a large range of charge differences with bullets of nearly the same BC? I know that reloading can be some trial and error....hopefully mostly trials. Anyway, If I were to use the Fed 215 primers with the barnes bullets, I would go by the charge data of 70.0-74.0 grains right? I know to work up from minumum loads in either case. I just wanted to know if I am interpreting this right. In either case, I will probably just stick with the published data, but I was wondering why the 3 books I have were all using different primers for similar bullets? BTW, I did look at the sierra book while at sportsman's warehouse and they listed federal 215 primers for their loads too with a starting load of 64.0 grains for the 175 grain bullets that came with david tubb's bore polish kit.

Thanks.
Old December 10, 2006, 01:19 AM   #2
Bullet94

ob_1jr
Welcome to the Firing Line.

Primers probably were not the only difference. Different bullets probably have different amounts of bearing surface. Could be different OAL’s. Tests were probably made with different rifles or test barrels. All of these effect the loading data. Loading data is compiled using certain components - changing components will effect the data.

You might find this interesting -

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Last edited by Bullet94; December 10, 2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old December 10, 2006, 03:39 AM   #3
ob_1jr

Thanks for the reply...that site is pretty good. I didn't have time to really work and develop loads for my dad, so I just did a couple different loads with the recommended components. Only time will tell when my dad actually gets a chance to shoot again. My next buy will be a chrono so I can tell exactly what the load is doing. Until then...I will just go with the recommended components. Thanks again.
Old December 10, 2006, 05:00 AM   #4
Shoney

Many factors effecting pressure are involved with different rifles using the same bullet, powder and cartridge. Combinations of factors listed below can cause great variances in a max load. When the books were published also makes a difference (lawyer driven load data of later years is more anemic).
Primer: strength; Federal 210=LR, 215=LRmag, add the M=match for about $5 more/1000 (match primers, in addition to having more consistency, are reported to be a bit hotter than the same # without M designation)
Barrel: length; tightness of bore; height of the lands; distance of bullet to lands; temperature of barrel;
Bullet: bearing surface of bullet, alloy of bullet; shape of bullet
Brass: new/used; manufacturer, to long trim length;
Powder: new, aged, old, ambient air temp, batch powder was from

I’ve used IMR4831, CCI LR mag primer, 200gr Nosler Partition, and WW case in my 300WM for 35 years. When I got a new 8# keg, I had to up the load by 1 grain to get the same results as the 1lb cans (bought 10 cans with all the same lot # many years ago).
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 10, 2006, 05:33 PM   #5
amamnn

Those sources who list primers do so for two reasons: 1) to cover all the bases and list the primer used to get the data so that picky SOBs like me will not send them letters about the 100fps difference in a load that I used Federals in that they used Winchesters. 2) to avoid lawsuits from fools who loaded max powder and then added a magnum primer (if not called for)to the mix.

For general plinking and hunting applications, the brand of primer, as long as it is the appropriate primer for the round will not make a noticeable difference in downrange performance. Match loads are a different animal.
Old December 10, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6
cheygriz

I've used nothing but Remington primers for over 25 years. Start low, then work up.

I've never has a problem with any load using Rewmington primers. Adn bt sticking to one brand, I can buy them in lots of 25,000 and save a bundle.
Old December 10, 2006, 11:30 PM   #7
shooter chef

I agree, however, I use winchester, and have had no problems whatsoever with explosions in loading, or with shooting. Good Luck
Old December 11, 2006, 01:37 AM   #8
ob_1jr

Thanks, but with my dad living 3000 miles away, I just had to stick with the load data in the book. In the future, I might try and continue using Fed 215 primers. I have a friend that shoots a 300 winmag and I can get an idea on what it will do out of his gun. This will be after I buy a chrony though. My dad doesn't shoot enough to give me enough feedback on what they are doing. I don't think he cares about MOA accuracy like I do. As long as he can hit that 5" circle at 100 yds, I believe he is happy. As far as buying primers in bulk...I don't really shoot that much to justify doing that. Besides, I live in base housing and they have limits on what all I can have in my house/garage.