The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2005, 11:20 PM   #1
tokarevman

Why do i shoot better with one hand

I shoot much better with one hand than with two. I am kinda new to handguns i was more of a shotgun and riffle guy to about a year ago. But i shoot good i think anyway with one hand and i shoot like crap with two. I was kinda wondering if shooting with one hand was a no no becaus i dont se many people doing it. So should i suck up and learn to shoot with two hand or keep on with the one hand?
Old February 20, 2005, 12:34 AM   #2
capbuster

Many people that I have talked to have noticed the same thing.Nothing wrong with shooting one handed. If this works for you by all means keep at it.You might try one handed and two handed shooting at speed against multiple targets. I think you will find that two handed shooting should be added to your shooting bag of tricks.
Old February 20, 2005, 12:38 AM   #3
Blind Tree Frog

Perhaps you are attempting to do more then simply support with your offhand and causing it to push to the side. Are you consistently shooting off in the same area or shooting erratically with two hands?
Old February 20, 2005, 01:09 AM   #4
WaltherP99

I have the same deal too. I can put shots on center at 25 yards with one hand. when it comes to two hands, forget it! I am getting better with two hands tho'
Old February 20, 2005, 01:11 AM   #5
dasmi

What sort of gun are you shooting? I'm fairly accurate with a 38 special revolver one handed, but it goes way down hill when I shoot a 1911.
Old February 20, 2005, 08:41 AM   #6
USNavy_233

Another factor here may be that since your only using one hand, your concentrating more and getting a better follow through on your trigger pull. Keep in mind that your second hand should only be a support structure, don't let it dictate the shot in any way. You may want to try shooting a little here and there with your second hand only (as in shooting one handed with your weak hand). I would definitely recommend learning to shoot well with all of the above, strong hand, weak hand, both hands. You never know when you may need to shoot with your bad hand. Just my two cents.
-Walt
Old February 20, 2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

What type of stance are you using? The target shooter's stance where you are standing sideways to the target and the pistol is held straight out and shots are fired slowly can be accurate with one hand. Nothing at all wrong with this if target shooting is your "thing."

However, precision with this stance normally degrades when facing the target and firing multiple rounds in quick succession, especially with a caliber suited for self-defense.

Denny
Old February 20, 2005, 12:16 PM   #8
tokarevman

dasmi: I am shooting a Type 54-1 Tokarev in 9mm, a CZ-52, and a Makarov.

Denny Hansen: I am useing the stance you mentioned in the first of you post.

I think i am going to try to shoot at some multiple targets at more rapid pace today with the one handed stance and then with a two handed stace and see what hapens. Also from what i have herd on here and been reading in books i think my two handed grip was all wrong so i am going to work on that to.
Old February 20, 2005, 04:25 PM   #9
Troponin

Denny hit the nail on the head. I was leading torwards that direction also. Whether I use two hands or not is totally dependant on target placing and where I am at to the target.
Old February 21, 2005, 04:19 AM   #10
LAK

I would carry on shooting one handed as far out as you can do so and place your shots.

Being able to do so is an asset since when shooting left barricade or right - as in around a corner or an obstacle - you will be exposing a minimum of yourself as a target. You may also be able to shoot in positions difficult or impossible to someone using two hands. Say, using the weak hand/arm to support yourself down near the ground somewhere.

Some other advice may improve your two-handed shooting, but in the meantime, as CapBuster suggested, try two-handed close up and fast. Determine what distances two-handed is advantageous for speed - and the point where precision is more important, and use either accordingly.